www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hi everyone!
I went to the Toronto International Boat show this weekend and I've got to say I was impressed with all the displays. People were lined up to get on the cruisers of all the manufacturers.
We were just looking and comparing the different interior layouts of the bowriders so I didn't have to line up. Thank God I hate waiting. I must admit I was not impressed with the Four Winns H310. The rear (windshield back) seating pattern just didn't impress us. We also found the seating in the H240 to be a bit cramped and we don't like the center walk through transom. The funships seem to have a better seating layout. Our 2001 H260 has ample area for seating and walking around without to much interference from others. We have the L seating with the entertainment centre. BUT!!! We fell in love with the SL262. It is a gorgeous boat. The seats are puffy and very comfortable. the seating is arranged smartly and there is a nice little lounger at the swim platform for the parent to watch the kids from. The stainless arch and hard top really make a sharp addition also. We entertain on our boat quite a bit and this package would certainly impress anybody who gets on board. The only thing the Missus didn't like was the entrance to the head. The one's where the door is a 90 degree piece that swings seem to give easier access.

What's with the great big sun pads that every manufacturer seems to be designing around currently? How many people actually lay out on these things? This space can be used for much better things!
All the manufacturers seem to be making high end quality bowriders, we were impressed with the Cobalt's, Crownline, Chapparal, Doral Elite series, Regal, Formula and Monterey. If I was buying new it would be a hard choice! It would probably come down to $ and cents.

Here's what I hope Four Winns does in the next couple of years so when I am ready to trade up they will have it available: A twin engine SL 288 with a cockpit refreshment center and maybe a day berth. That would be the ultimate machine for day tripping through the Thousands Islands!

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm 
230 Mike

Good report. The subject of sun pads is always interesting. Ours actually does get used a lot, on the other hand you're right that it takes up a huge amount of space that could be used for any number of other things.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm 

My wife loves sun pad and we use them a lot. If we did not use sun pad we probably bought a Funship instead of Horizon. I feel FW covered for both ways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 pm 

I'm a big fan of the sunpad, too. I even had a custom cushion made to cover my walk-through part so that it would be one big pad. Great for playing with my 2 year old and just hanging out in a cove somewhere on the lake.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:12 am 

I guess it just goes to show that everybody is different. We don't see the use of a sunpad but others obviously do.

What about the SL262? Has anybody else seen it up close? What did you think?

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 am 

We were at the show on Saturday for a tour. I took a quick look at the SL262, but I've gotta be honest, I can't get past that ugly bow! I do like the space up front, but I can't get past the lines......

My son and I crawled all over a bunch of the boats at the show, and when we were all done, I was still very happy with the choice we made last summer with our 180. What impressed me the least was the Cobalt 252 we were looking at. As you walked over the transom pass-through, it flexed a fair bit under my weight (o.k. I have a few extra pounds on but not that much!). Also, other than the helm and front passenger seat, the rest of the seats on the boat were rock hard. It definately would have had a failing grade from the admiral.....

Regarding the sunpad, it seems to be the first thing we set-up whenever we anchor, and its always in use till we are underway.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:20 pm 
Goldfish

I was at the show on Saturday and had to go back on Monday for another look. The SL 262 is a beautifull boat and Four Winns has really stepped up its game in the area of materials and fit and finish. My only concern with boats of this type, however, is the care they will require. I'm starting to appreciate the value of having a utilitarian boat that can take the bumps and bruises and doesn't take hours to clean and detail.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:39 am 

Hear, Hear!

I can say if I had a tonne of spare cash, I would get a 262. But, as I don't, I love my 180. Easy to take care of and we love the fun she brings to the water!

Want to start a fundraiser? It could be the get Rob a 262? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:54 pm 
Shark

I was there on Sunday, and I'm going back this Saturday. I did spend some time on the 262 and I think it's cool as hell. I don't love the lines, but I don't hate them either, and I think that for the extra room it yields in the bow, it is well worth it. I'm sure it's something I would grow to like after a while.

I was pretty impressed by most of what I saw from all builders, but I must admit I'm no expert. That said, I am still very happy with the decision we made to go with FW. We don't even have it yet and I love it already! Imagine how I'll feel when I can actually put it in the water!

2004 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:02 pm 

I have to agree. The lines from the outside are a little weird but, most of my time is spent behind the wheel or in the boat and in that department the boat is extremely cool! On the outside, I love the way the lower colour band stripe wraps around the swim platform and the stainless arch plus hard top is really a sharp looking option however we would probably opt for an arch with bimini so we could add a custom camper canvas to help shelter us from the weather in the early and late season. The seat materials seem to be more "leather like" than standard vinyl and all the cushions were extremely comfy. I like the bow filll-in idea also so you can have a spot to keep the little ones or three people can stretch out comfortably. I think if you owned oneof these units the bow would simply blend in very quickly because of all the other nicety's the boat has. Picking a colour would be another hard choice though. The black is nice but the blue or red would also be nice and one of those would be my preference.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:21 pm 

I guess I should clarify that is is only the lines that bother me, the rest of the boat is beautiful, and very nicely appointed. I really like the blue gelcoat with the red stripe. Very Classy!

Sorry Rob, I'd make a donation to the "buy Rob a 262 fund", but I am still making monthly payments on the "buy Chris a 180" fund!!! :lol:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 pm 
Guppy

My FourWinns dealer has had a 262 in the showroom for the past month or so and I crawl all over it everytime I stop by. If you're looking for a big bowrider with tons of luxuries, it could be THE boat to own. In terms of the lines, they definately are pretty radical but many other boat builders have a similar model (ebbtide, regal, mastercraft to name a few). I happen to like the looks of the boat a lot. Another sign that FW's continues to step up their game!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:11 pm 
life to the full

In reguard to the buy Rob a 262 fund mind if I get in on the act and start the lets get Ardy in a H180 fund .All donaters can have a free ride in it provided you are willing to travel half way round the planet to my neck of the woods
hehe
Ardy