www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:15 am 
Tadpole

At random times, could be pulling away from the dock, or idling around the lake, or pulling the kids on the tube, our 2013 H190 will completely die. Meaning, if we are idling around with the blower running, everything will go completely dead. Then within a few seconds, the blower will come back on and the key beeps will start. The engine always restarts without issues. This randomness could be within 1 min, 1 hr, or 3 hrs. Sometimes we go hours without issues, others we can stay running for more than a minute. If I disconnect the yellow electrical cable from the battery, it runs perfectly fine and never dies. By disconnecting that cable, I still have blower, speedometer, trim/tilt, but no other gauges. We had this same issue a few years ago and they said it was the battery and put a new battery in. We dropped the boat in the water and it died in the first 5 mins. Second trip they said they found a loose wire but the issue continued, just not as frequently. Another shop said the fuel pump was too high and adjusted that but couldn't find any other issues.

I'm going to take the battery out to get a load test again but otherwise, we've looked at everything. No frayed wires, no bent wires, nothing exposed that we can see. Someone mentioned alternator but would that cause the whole boat to completely die!? The battery seems to be charged and we never have issues starting the engine with or without that yellow cable connected to the battery.

I'm new to this board and I'm hoping someone has an idea to help fix the problem!
Thank you all for your replies.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:53 am 
email admin your custom rank

So what you are saying is that it will run normally then suddenly you lose electrical because the engine stalls, and the blower quits working. Do the gauges power off then as well? Sounds like you are losing connection at either the battery, or the cannon plug on the engine that connects the engine wiring harness to the boat dashboard harness...the engine dying is the ignition system, but the blower is on a separate fuse, so it is something feeding both of those circuits. When it cuts out does anything else electrical work?
Start with battery terminals, then move to the terminals on the starter solenoid, alternator, and then you may have to pull apart the cannon plug (it is a large cylinderical shaped plug on the engine somewhere, it will have approx 9 wires feeding into and out of it, sometimes they get oxidixed or loose and you loose connection there.
Remember that DC electricity has to travel in a circle, current leaves the battery but must be able to return.
Might want to post a pic of your battery connections. I think they changed the color of ground wires from black to yellow.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:28 am 

Sounds like the first item of business is to determine exactly what that yellow cable goes to, since you say it never dies if that cable is disconnected.

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:47 pm 
Tadpole

Just to catch you all up and thank you so much for the help!

We looked at the wires on the solenoid and they were indeed corroded. So we just took that all apart and cleaned it all up and put it back together. Tomorrow we will drop the boat in and hope that was the issue!

In the meanwhile just to answer some of the questions, when the boat dies, everything shuts off. Blower, radio, nav lights if they are on, including the engine. It will start back up without issues after the power to the ignition switch comes back. The yellow (negative) cable runs straight to the fuse panel. So naturally we thought it was something up there but the wiring is very clean. We did find a corroded nut on the back on the alternator and replaced that over the weekend.

I will post an update, with good news hopefully, after tomorrow when we take it out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:12 am 

I hope your fix works. This is definitely an electrical issue by itself. I think you're on the right track by checking all the connections for corrosion and for bad wires. It will most likely be something simple...once you find it!

Good luck this weekend!

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:36 am 

What that sounds like is that the yellow wire you disconnect, has a bad connection at one or both ends of it. When you disconnect it the ground path (I'm assuming this is a ground, as the color was changed from black to yellow recently) from the fuse box somehow gets grounded via another circuit, thereby re-establishing the return path to the battery. Your yellow wire is a thick cable like a battery cable, correct?

In my experience OE boat wiring is often low quality automotive grade junk. Start with Ancor marine battery cables properly terminated, do not use wing nuts on the battery terminals, they will get loose and cause intermittent problems, use locking nuts on the battery posts.
Then go over all the terminals on the starter, as you have (marine starters are prone to corrosion due to water leaks in the bilge, or too much water in the bilge).

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:23 pm 
Tadpole

It was the solenoid and the corrosion on the wires. Two boat shops and it took all you to help diagnose the problem! I can't thank you all enough for your advice!