www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tach not reading
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:17 pm 
Tadpole

First time posting, thanks for the add and found some good info so far! I have a 2004 Horizon 210 with a 5.0GXI-E and after some winter maintenance, runs like a top! However, new problem this season is my tachometer. Since I bought the boat last year, it reads 1000 rpm’s when the power is off. But when started, it would run fine. Now this season, the tach is completely inoperable. I did pull the gauge, confirmed 12v to the power and ground is good from measuring power and ground. Checked my signal wire and when measuring dc, I have about 30 volts. When measuring ac, I have about 10 volts all at idle. It is a faria gauge. I tried moving the engine selector switch back and forth several times as I’ve heard that can have build up and cause issues. Should I condemn the gauge and have it repaired or could I be missing other things to check first? Or is there a way to test the gauge without buying faria’s fancy tester? I have scoured my owners manual, as well as the Volvo repair manual and have found nothing on specs, wiring diagrams, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Tach not reading
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:20 pm 
Tadpole

Small update and kind of changing or hijacking my own thread I guess if that’s allowed? I got a cheapy off Amazon to test and the Amazon tach works perfect so I know it’s the gauge. Seems like Faria’s track record has been declining as their repair prices increase to well over the price of a new gauge. Does anyone have experience with other repair facilities or how to get this gauge apart myself to repair it? I do have decent experience with electrical work so if I can get the gauge apart, I’m pretty confident I can fix it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm trying to figure out how you are getting 30 volts DC, into anything on a boat, and 10 volts AC?
the only place that you should find AC voltage is on the AC tap terminal on some alternators, 30 volts DC, should not be anywhere!
Something is wrong, is that meter you are using accurate?

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 pm 
Tadpole

Just bought my first boat, an 05 horizon 200le and am also having issues with faria tach. Engine idles smooth and definitely not high idle but gauge reads 1100-1200 then at full throttle it stops at around 4200rpms. I’m also searching if there are other gauge options

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:09 am 
email admin your custom rank

If you have the standard gauges yes there are other options, I would contact Faria and see how much it would cost to fix the one you have vs buying new. Believe it or not, the original 35 year old Medallion gauges on my old '88 Horizon 200 all still work!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25070o8154ssw ... l.jpg?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:40 am 
Tadpole

Sorry for the no response, I guess I never saw the reply! I did end up sending the gauge into Faria, they repaired it and sent it back. As to how I got 30 volts, I have no clue and I have used that meter in many other applications since and it does read accurately. Gauge is back in and working awesome.