www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoist Recommendations.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:25 pm 
Guppy

Hi there.
As I had said in my previous post.. Ive just purchased a new lakefront cabin. The cabin had a hoist but we just found out that its not going to be big enough for me to use (beam is to wide).
Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice hoist for a 200SS?

Price is a concern, but i want to get something that is easy to use and will "cradle" my "baby" :)

My lake is small, only 11miles long maybe 2 across, there is not much for trafic, its got a rock/mud bottom and its about 4 feet at the end of my dock (i know not much at all.)
Oh and im in canada (alberta to be exact)

As im a first time owner of a boat.. i want to make sure im getting the right thing. Please offer any suggestions as I welcome them all. Thanks everyone. (if you could also please post an approx price i would appreciate that as well with your recommendation)

Thanks again.
BF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:22 pm 
Forty six and Two

Id go for a lift rather than a hoist. unless that hoist is made for your baot you are risking damage to the boat or worse you.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 am 
Guppy

Opps, Sorry thats what i meant.
So far im looking at the Hewitt Verticle Lift found at:
http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/vertical.html
Model Vertical Hi-Lift LOAH-38

The base model is $3800 canadian. So if there is anyone reading this that works at a shop that is intrested in doing it cheaper. Lets talk.

Ive also looked at the shoremaster... but the costs are unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:36 am 
Forty six and Two

Well here is the thing. I live in Maine which is pretty much the great white north and our season is very short. I suspect that your season is as short or shorter so have you considered a double dock scenario and suspending the boat between them and let it just float? Just a thought. Great looking boat btw.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:09 am 
Narwhal

Too bad, a little more than two weeks ago I threw away all the notes from my lift research.

My '07 Horizon 200 is practically the same boat as your SS. I ended up getting a used ShoreStation cheap, but looked at several brands new. In mid Wisconsin the going rate was about $3500 US.

A few thoughts for you. You will want full bunks that extend just past the edge of the stern. Try to duplicate as much as possible, the way the boat sits on the trailer, and it's the inner bunks you want to emulate, not the outer guide bunks. A deep V lift would be nice, although with 4 feet of water you will be fine, I'm near the edge in just shy of 3 feet of water, and I do not have a deep V lift. A canopy is a personal preference item - I elected to go without canopy, and just use the FW mooring cover. I find it makes it much easier to get in/out of the boat, although slightly more trouble to button it up at the end of the day. I haven't had any major issues with getting the boat back on the lift; having said that it is certainly not as easy as docking. Even so I'm already considering ways to add bumpers or guides. It might be different with full bunks, which my used lift does not have.

The last consideration is of course delivery, assembly, and setup for your boat. Although possible for someone mechanically inclined, in my area most charge $300 - 400 to do this, and I'd recommend taking them up on it. Just to give you an idea, the pro I used spent about an hour and a half getting the lift configured just right, after it was assembled, setup, matched to the trailer, and in the water where I wanted it. Could be this was due to the shallow water. In my case, delivery and installation alone nearly determined which lift I was going to go with. In fact, it was calling around to folks that do docks and lifts that I ran across the used lift for $1400. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:49 am 
Starfish

I would look for a used one personally. I was shocked when I started looking at the new lift prices. I was lucky and shortly after I picked up my boat, a friend bought a house one lake over and had an extra feighner cantilever he sold me for $750. But that seems to be the going price for a boat lift in our weight range $750-$1500. It’s a big difference from the thousands and thousands it costs to buy a new one. Not sure if one brand is really better then another as far as conventional lifts goes. I have the feighner and my buddy has a shore master vertical and neither of us have any problems and they are both at least 10 years old.