www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 pm 
Shark

Hello

Today we had a little issue boat vs rock. Rock won.
I am taking this to the dealer tomorrow, is this as bad as it looks?? After the rock was struck we immediatley stopped the boat and I had it towed to shore. There was nothing leaking out of the lower unit nothing cracked and prop was not touched.
What other signs should I look for. First time owner so i am not sure, a few people who looked at this thought the skeg could be fixed, were they blowing smoke up my lower unit?

And Of course I planned a boating trip for this weekend! is it an easy fix if lower unit doesen't need to be replaced?

That is water in the 3rd pic. I rinsed my boat off, I checked and its not any type of oil.

I have insurance on the boat so, wondering if anyone will know the approx. cost to repair

Sorry about how dark the pics are not sure if you can really tell, I will get better ones tomorrow.
thanks for all your help.
Matt

2005 Horizon 200 LE - Volvo Penta 5.0GXi 270

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:37 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The skeg can be fixed or replaced. Either way it should not be to bad. You are lucky that the prop was not damaged so there should be no drive train damage. I hit a rock a few years ago that ripped up the prop, bent the skeg, and bent the drive shaft. That repair was about $ 1100. I would guess if there is no other damage $ 200-400 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:19 pm 
Forty six and Two

Thats not bad but if you have any new vibrations while underway you need to get it fixed right away to avoid damage to the drivetrain. As said above it can be fixed. Id take a few pipe wrenches and carefully and gently straighten it out as best you can then file down the burs.

Goodluck.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:37 pm 
Shark

Thanks BarryBoats i was able to sleep a little easier last night, so was the wife she is the one that hit the rock.

So, I went to the Dealer today and they told me they could repair the skeg by straightening, sanding, and a little paint. From what they have seen it didn't appear to be that bad. For me any little ding is bad.
They said it's a labor job around $130-150. I found another shop to replace the skeg for $250.00.

Problem, they can't do the work til next week, I of course have rented a place on a lake for this weekend. The shop didn't think i should have a problem using it this weekend. They visually checked the lower unit and prop to make sure it was ok.

Being rather PO'd and not sure what had happened, because i was being pulled. I had us pulled into shore and place the boat on the trailer to inspect if there was any other damage, so i couldn't test the boat.

Does anyone think I will have too much of a problem?
I planed on hanging around the sand bar most of the day, and doing a little tubing, wakeboarding and cruising. i guess everthing i normally do, what should I expect?
thanks
matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:05 pm 
Andiamo

I have never tried one of these, but maybe you can put a "Skeg Protector" on it either as a quick temporary fix or permanent??
Here's a link to try. Just an idea!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... 26859&aID=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:29 pm 
Shark

Giaccamo
I was looking at all the skeg gaurds also, but i still need to get the little bend out first.

Architectdave
Reading many different forums on this. I read bending it back can be somewhat easy to leave it alone don't even try this because of how brittle the skeg is. With the impending trip the last thing I want to do is break the skeg off.

thanks for the suggestions
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:38 pm 
230 Mike

I like the basic idea of the Skeggard, but don't care for the idea of drilling two holes through my skeg.

Your skeg basically did it's job - protected the prop from damage or entanglement. As long as nothing else is bent, it should be repairable, but you DO want to make sure whoever is doing the work knows what he's doing. Applying too much heat to that area can ruin your lower gear case, and not in an obvious way. Unfortunately its one of those many boat repairs where you need to find someone you trust, and then trust them. Also, if much repainting needs done (doesn't look like it), just be aware of the correct process for painting a lower unit.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I wouldn't worry about getting it fixed right away unless you feel some difference in performance or vibration from it. Otherwise, get it done when you can as long as it is not causing a fluid leak. Good luck.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:44 am 
Forty six and Two

my200winns wrote:
Giaccamo
I was looking at all the skeg gaurds also, but i still need to get the little bend out first.

Architectdave
Reading many different forums on this. I read bending it back can be somewhat easy to leave it alone don't even try this because of how brittle the skeg is. With the impending trip the last thing I want to do is break the skeg off.

thanks for the suggestions
Matt

I so feel your pain. 3 hours on our new 190 and I mashed the front of the skeg on a rock at 30 mph. I felt like a real tool and it broke my heart to hurt my brand new boat. Im going to go for the end of season fix at my marina just a little weld and grind with some new paint good as new. Like my dad said, "son, Ive had 3 boats and 7 outdrives, its going to happen."

I also agree I have a real problem drilling a hole in my new outdrive for a skeg guard.

I hope this weekend works out for you.

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:56 am 
Clownfish

Matt,
Just curious...what lake was the rock in?
-Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:11 am 
Andiamo

Architectdave wrote:
Like my dad said, "son, Ive had 3 boats and 7 outdrives, its going to happen."

I like That! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:25 am 
Shark

davemac - Governors lake - it's a small lake in Raymond NH.

My wifes family has been on this lake for many years. This rock used to be marked but, my wife just cut to wide and ran over it. I did love the fact we were told about the rock after we hit it. Thanks how about reminding us before we hit it, that would have helped!!!.

Things happen so I wasn't upset we hit the rock it was the timing with the trip i had planned for this weekend. I initially thought the drive was toast.

Architectdave - Great quote from your dad.
Thanks weather looks great, it's a guys weekend away 6 of us, I look at it now if the engine was toast we would have turned the boat into a rather large row boat.

It's funny what you notice, I drive up Route 93 NH toward to work, so I see a lot of people trailing their boats up to the lakes. It wasn't until Tuesday I started looking at the lower units. I saw a few skegs chunked and bent, so it made feel slightly better.

I hope everyone has a great weekend on the water
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:07 am 
Clownfish

Matt,
How did boat perform this weekend w/ skeg dmge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:36 am 
Shark

davemac,
Boat handled ok. I did notice it pull when we were @ headway speed going through no wake zones or putting around. When i was cruising around 20-30mph it was fine. It did feel like it was hooking up when turning. I dropped it off on Sunday for them to fix the Skeg. to add insult to injury i found a shallow spot and scuffed up my prop on a sandy section of the lake, which they said they could fix. Now my wife is calling us even. I don't know about that!
It was a great weekend though. Weather could have been better at least it did'n rain.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:40 am 
ShanMan

I'm glad it didn't keep you from enjoying the weekend. Once the prop and skeg are fixed, you'll never know they were damaged.

http://vista278.com