www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:53 am 
Guppy

Just wanted to ask a questions about that 190 Horizon. I am looking to buy one in the near future, and it looks like a great boat.

If you do have the aft bench, is there storage under the seat. I cannot find anywhere where it says that there is storage under there.

Also, do you find that you have ample storage for bumpers, ropes, life jackets, ect. And the alway important coolers, and bags of snacks

And, what is your normal person load on the boat for a day out on the water, and does the boat seem to struggle with the load.

Your time answering is greatly appricated.

Thank you and Happy Boating

Arron M Weber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:43 am 
Minnow

I have a 2006 Horizon 180, which is very close to the 190 you’re looking at. I did test drive the 190 with a 4.3 but didn’t have the extra 6k in money. I have the "Sport Seating Option" with the sundeck and bench seat at the rear of the boat.

There is storage under my bench seat. It is separated into three compartments from left to right. I will try to take and post a picture. I’m sure it is the same for the 190.

In my 180 there are 2 large storage areas under the sun pad on each side of the engine. There are 3 smaller storage areas under the bench seat as I mentioned before. (my 180 came with a small cooler that was made to fit in one of these storage areas, I’m sure the 190 has the same) I also have 2 compartments under the 2 bow seats. The 190 I test drove had a 3rd area under the center bow cushion for the anchor. (I have my anchor under one of the side cushions)

I feel as though I have plenty of storage for everything you mentioned. The only time I feel crowded is when I have a full boat (6 adults) and a large cooler. I haven’t found a good place for the large cooler yet. When only using the small cooler that came with the boat there is no problem.

As for power, I have the 3.0, I don’t know which power plant you plan on getting, and as for the 190 I think it has the option of the 3.0 or the 4.3. I will let someone else recommend an engine but I will say I am very happy with my 3.0 it has done everything that I have wanted it to do while being very economical.

I can answer any questions you may have about my 180 (which is very close to the 190) and like I said I did test drive a 190, so fire away with any more questions.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 am 
Guppy

Arron,

Dan did some up the storage layout of the 190 very well. I think the interior layouts are pretty much identical with the exception the 190 is a couple of inches wider and their is a little more room between the bucket sets and the bench in the 190 vs the 180.

The advantages of the 190 are the power options and the larger swim platform.

The 190 is available in the 4.3L only. You have the choice of carbs or EFI in the Merc or Volvo Penta.

The 190 is rated for 8 adults (~1300+lbs from memory). The most I have had is 3 Adults 4 children under 10 yrs. The boat did not even notice the extra load and we were pulling a 2 person tube. I do have the largest power option, Volvo Penta 4.3GXi (225 HP). It is very fast out of the hole, and I don't see it lacking any power for any of the loading I will be giving it.

I absolutly love the boat, have about 13.5 hrs on it now.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:53 am 
Minnow

Ah yes, the 180 has the option of the 3.0 or 4.3, the only option on the 190 is th 4.3, I stand corrected. Thanks Dave!

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:44 pm 
Guppy

Hey Arron,
I also have the new 190 but I have the Merc carb 4.3L (190hp) with the standard seating. I thought the sport seating would be too crowded if you are bringing a cooler and a tube and moving about and I really liked the sunpad/extra seating option with the standard seating. In my (very limited) opinion I thought the standard motorbox looked a lot easier to work on the motor compared to the sport seat. The bow seats give plenty of room for bumpers and ropes and a couple of jackets and towels. I like the anchor locker in the front with the 190 model (not in the 180). I choose the 190 over the 180 just for the exta width (no knee knocking in the bow seats).

Power has been fine for me but this is my very first boat (other then tiller fishing boats) so I really have no comparision. I received the aluminum 19" prop which I think needs to be upgraded to a 21" as I am hitting 5000rpm even fully loaded (this gets me 40mph WOT on GPS). Pulling a tube has been no problem even with 4 adults on board. Actually I really don't notice a big difference between 4 adults and just 2.

I have about 13.5 hours on her now. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:16 pm 
Minnow

Actually I have a question, do any of you have the bow fill-in cushion? I was thinking about ordering it from my local dealer, but he did not have one there to look at. Was woundering if anyone had one and liked it or not? Have a picture? Im guessing the 180 and 190 would basicly be the same.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:08 pm 
Guppy

I was also considering a bow fill-in. The problem I see, is where to store it when not in use???

The dealer did not have one for me to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:43 pm 
230 Mike

We have the fill-ins for our 230. They're well made and sturdy, but way too expensive for what they are, and storage is an issue. Some would consider this a must-have option, others (like us) never use them.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:08 pm 
Guppy

No I didn't get the fill in but I have an issue with my Bimini and thought I would see if anyone else has it as well.

I can't get my short posts from my Bimini to fit into the socket - seems to me something isn't mounted right. Also when trying to get the short post in, there is a rivet on the front pole just above the cover snap that scratches the gel.

here's the pic:

It looks like it should fit but it just won't lock in - long posts are no problem. My dealer is a waste of time - I've called him three times and emailed but still no response. Sure wish there was a FW dealer closer to me.... (I went 5 hours for mine).

Anyone got pictures like this of theirs which works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:23 pm 
Guppy

Leviticaus:

Sorry I can't help, did not order the Bimini.

But, not being familiar with the Bimini, is it possible that the whole unit (frame) needs turned around, ie turn 180 degrees so that the rivets are not against the gel???

Probably a dumb idea, but you never know?

Post subject: horizon 190
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:14 am 
Minnow

Arron,
I have a 2005 Horizon 190 Le, sunsport interior with a 5.0 GXI, VERY FAST!!!!!!!!!! Plenty of room, I use to have a Bayliner 2050, Four Winns is a much higher quality boat fit and finish wise. The advantage I see with the sunsport seating is the extra sound deadening of engine noise. The two storage compartments on each side of the engine are very large, and under the bench seat the storage area is divided into three areas. I stored all my life jackets and towels under the bench seat very easily. Im still trying to figure out how to post pictures sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:21 am 
230 Mike

Bimini problems can be deceiving, even with pictures.

But from the looks of it, the short leg attachments need to be moved up slightly on the long poles. Can the white nylon clamp be loosened (can't tell if I'm seeing the bottom end of a screw or the end of a rivet)? In other words, in the picture the short leg is nearly horizontal; it should probably be angled a few more degrees. I think making this adjustment would allow the connector to fit firmly into the mount, and also raise the whole bimini slightly (even though it's in the towing position), which would keep the snaps & rivets off your gel coat. Once that's done, you could have the dealer buff out those scratches at the end-of-season service.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:32 pm 
Guppy

Another Question about the 190 Horizon. I noticed the post that 230 Mike
had posted about the cracks in the gel coat on botton of the transom. I agree with him, that possibly the bunks on the trailer may be too short.

My question is, are the bunks short on the trailer for the 190 or do they come even with or just past the bottom part of the transom.

I really feel bad for 230Mike, and don't want this to happen if I were to purchase the 190 Horizon

Thanks again

Arron M. Weber

Post subject: bunk length
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:17 pm 
Minnow

My trailer has four bunks, the two outboard bunks are about 3 inches longer than the boat, the two inboard are about 1 inch short. No cracks to be found, knck on wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:41 am 
230 Mike

Arron, note the updates I've posted about my transom cracks. They've been declared as "mold marks" by the dealer and by FW, and neither of them said or implied that the bunks had anything to do with it. The gel coat has been repaired perfectly (at least so far). When the day comes to replace the bunks due to wear or rot, I'll have them made a hair longer, but at this point I have no reason to think this is a problem. Most of the Horizons I've looked at (both new and used), and an unscientific look at most other lines of bowriders, tell me that I'm in the majority, not the minority. For example, my boat doesn't overhang the bunks as far as the two Cobalts nor the two Crownlines that park in our storage facility.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic