www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:24 pm 
Seahorse

Hi Everyone

I’m over in the UK and have just bought a 1997, Four Winns Horizon 18 RS with a 5.7GL Volvo inboard from a boat dealer. No History, No manuals and No paperwork other than an invoice but I just had to have it. Possibly not the best way to buy a boat after reading some of your posts but it’s in excellent condition which I put down to the quality of build and after a complete engine rebuild it goes like a dream.

The layout of the boat is brilliant with back to back seating and two others either side of the engine which converts to a sun lounger, not that we get too much sun for lounging in the UK. Strange thing is I haven’t yet found another boat on line that seems to be the same. Is the Horizon 18 RS which it says on the side of the boat the same as an Horizon RS 180 but just an earlier version

I’m a novice boater and would love to have a manual, and a wiring diagram, and a user guide, and some original sales material, and anything else I can get my hands on related to the boat but over here in the UK the boat is almost unheard of. If anyone has any information they could spare a copy of I would be most grateful to receive them at nm@comltd.co.uk

I have a million questions which I look forward to asking over time on the forum and sincerely thank anyone that has the time to offer any information. It sounds great in your part of the world with sunshine and idyllic lakes, not quite the same in the UK – 20ft tides into the sea from badly constructed slipways. But who cares I've got a fabulous boat.

Would love to attach a picture but dont know how to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

A Four Winns owner in the UK since 2001, on our second one since 2005 and maybe going for a third. Too many pints of beer tonight, so I'll respond over the next few days !

Graham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm 

Welcome to the forum!

Re. Posting photos, there are several threads on here under Forum Issues. Here is one to get you going:
http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1877

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:36 am 

Hi & welcome, Nezzo!
I'm in Australia and also have a 1997 Horizon RS, with the Volvo Penta 5.7GL.
It's a pretty rare combination and there's another member on here from the USA with a red one!
I have most of the manuals you've requested, but will hold of emailing them until you've posted more.
Can never be too careful with scammers, these days!
Here's a thread with some pictures of mine:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10587&hilit=maiden+voyage

p.s. Where in the UK are you? I'm a Scouser! :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:50 am 
Seahorse

Hi Deafwish - Now theres a big change in lifestyle, a scouser in Australia, I bet you are loving it, a bit different to Liverpool. I'm about 40 minutes further north of Liverpool, in Preston, had a business for 15 years close to Liverpool, in Widnes. Where abouts were you.
Like your boat it’s the first one I've seen other than mine. My next investment will be a bimini top like yours, do you have to put it down when you are on the move. Unlike yours, it won't be a sun roof though, it will be to keep the rain off.

Couple of pics - Thanks for the advice on how to post them Evilz.

Had the engine completely rebuilt when I bought it and have only had it out once at Knott End but its runs really well. I'm told I have to keep it to 25 knotts for 20 hours until its run in properly. Cant wait to get out in it again but its down to freezing here at the moment.

Had problems with the tilt sender which seems to be a common problem, all 3 wires had broken right at the sender itself, I had to dig the compound out of the sender to resolder new wires on. Resistence increases steadily as it should when tested out of the engine but when its fitted it must have a sloppy fit inside as when the leg comes down it doesn't respond for much of the travel.

P.S You can rest assured I'm not a scammer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:55 pm 

I've just emailed through some info for you.
Your boat looks great!
I'd be ditching the carpet, as it retains water & will take forever to dry in your climate! :P
Your little doors going to the bow area are something I've never seen before!
My bimini is canvas and folds up when in transit on the road. On the water, it stays up...
p.s. We lived in Childwall, but that was almost 15 years ago! I'm an Aussie, now! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm 
life to the full

Welcome to the forum