www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:22 pm 
Tadpole

Hi, i just picked up a New 2006 Horizon 220 with the 5.7L Volvo Penta. I love the boat, my last boat was a 18ft larson with the 3.0. This boat is such a step up, the whole family loves it. But i do have two complaints/questions.

1. The trail seems like it does not fit the boat very good. Every time i put the boat back on the trailer the nose almost touches the front roller thing. (Sorry, im new to the boating terms.) It seems like the hand crank and the two yellow colored rollers should be lower.

2. The second thing is the boats nose is crooked. Of course i did not see it until i left the dealer. It looks like the left side sits lower than the right. And the hull is a little off set. When i first noticed it was sitting on the trailer and i was it threw the rear view mirror. So i thought nothing of it. Just crooked on the trailer. But when i put it in the water i found out it was for sure. The boat still ride strait and handle awesome, i just looks like the top part where it went to gather is crooked.

What do you think i should do? This was the last 06 at the dealer, so i cant just trade it for a different one. And i know they wont give me an 07.

Here are the pictures.
Look at the left side.

Here is where the center of the hull lines up.

And here is where it is hitting the front.(It only happens when the boat launch ramp is really steep, like on the river. Or where it drops off to deep water.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:52 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I think its the rub rail. That boat came out of a mold that had 10k boats before it. If it is the rail they can fix that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:47 pm 

wow...it does look quite off in the picture...i would take it back & ask for a hell of a discount or a refund.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:38 pm 
230 Mike

That is just bizarre. Definitely not the way it's supposed to be. As to where you're hitting on the bow roller, that looks about right to me actually.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:33 am 
Narwhal

Yeah, take it to the dealer, definately should be covered under warranty 'fit and finish'. I'd suggest bringing it to the dealer's attention now, and discussing return for repairs post season. In the unlikely event the dealer won't want to address the issue, call FW Cutomer Service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:36 pm 
Tadpole

Jim_R wrote:
Yeah, take it to the dealer, definately should be covered under warranty 'fit and finish'. I'd suggest bringing it to the dealer's attention now, and discussing return for repairs post season. In the unlikely event the dealer won't want to address the issue, call FW Cutomer Service.

That was what i was going to do. The only reason it is not there now is because we already had it for a while before i noticed it, and i don't want to ruin the whole summer by bringing it back now.

Thanks for the help. Has anybody ever seen something like this before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:12 pm 
email admin your custom rank

The bow contact with the roller looks about right. One thing I do at a steep ramp is trim the lower unit up some to lift the bow out of the water as much as I can before approaching the trailer (Yes, this does still work at idle speeds). It helps decrease the steep angle.

As for the "crooked" issue, I would take it back to the dealer with a word of caution: that boat is an '06 that I am assuming has been on their lot for some time. Don't you think that someone there noticed it before you bought it? I'd be prepared to get an answer that involves them "playing dumb" at first and saying that they either can't see it or that they didn't ever notice it before you bought it. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point, and they just get it taken care of. Regardless, I'd call them and talk to them about it/email these pictures to them so that they are aware of the issue and see if they are OK with fixing it at the end of the year.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:41 pm 
230 Mike

There had to have been at least 3 or 4 people who saw that before it left the factory. Maybe a lot more than that. If the fix involves opening up the hull-to-deck joint, I'm not sure there's a dealer anywhere who I'd trust to do that. I'm not sure I wouldn't insist on the boat going back to Four Winns.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 am 
Sting Ray

I have seen where a whole front end was repaired after a guy smashed into a bouy on the river. The whole bow was crushed in past the anchor locker, and the dealer showed me pictures afterwards, and it looked brand new, so I would think it COULD be fixed. But, I would suggest you show it to the dealer, and tell them you want to meet with their FW rep at their site. At my dealer, the FW rep comes around once every couple or 3 months. I would think you could arrange that and then have them tell you what they are going to do to make it right. Tell them this is exactly why you didn't buy a cheap boat, that you wanted the quality and the assurance knowing that FW would take care of you as their customer.

Shame on the dealer though for not making you aware or even selling this boat. They might have picked on you as newbie???

As far as the trailer, have you tried not putting the trailer in so deep?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 am 
wkearney99

NiceHorizon wrote:
(Sorry, im new to the boating terms.)

Then how about taking a boating safety course? There are a number of US Power Squadron chapters around the country (and other organizations elsewhere). There's a basic course that's one night a week for 6 weeks (or sometimes less). It's VERY informative. It covers a very wide range of subjects all boaters should be acquainted with. Including terms describing parts of the boat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:29 pm 
The Bug Doctor

:( Mine came from factory through dealer with NO Thru-Hull installed for Bilge Pump! It also leaked around the Captains Call exhaust System.

I found it best to arrange a meeting with Sales Rep, Sales Manager, Service Manager and OWNER!

My Issues were resolved after this meeting :!:

Good Luck :wink:

P. S. It looks fine where you have the bow against the rollers. :D

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com