www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Use of blower
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:17 pm 
Guppy

Hi guys I’m late to the party here but I just bought a horizon 180 and I don’t see any blower in the engine bay, I see the switch by the wheel but no blower, can you guys show me a pic where the blower is in your boat?? I mass green as a lettuce here, and thanks for the help

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Look in the bilge for something that looks like this with two hoses that looks like dryer vents connected to it:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 pm 
Guppy

There’s nothing similar to that, no hoses no blower I guess the previous owner didn’t have it or took it away

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:44 pm 

Mine is not obvious if you didn't know what you were looking for (have to pay attention to what's behind the motor)

assume nothing happens when you hit the switch....check the fuse? Fine the vent holes on the outside of boat and trace the blower tubes from there to verify its really not there....seems pretty odd for it not to even be there.

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:14 am 

Old thread but on the topic of blowers for inboards, there is one (Sureflo Yellowtail) that is rated for continuous duty. Also, I strongly advise adding a fume detector if you have a gas inboard. It really should be standard equipment as the blower is.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:18 am 
Guppy

Vent holes are open and I don’t see any tubes around the engine bay or near it, I traced the cable from the blower switch and cable was cut so no blower in my boat, so I guess it’s time for me to buy and install one, do you mind guys send a picture of yours so I have an idea please I see the blower as a safety feature I would have to install in my boat, thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am 

A blower is a Coast Guard requirement unless you have an outboard. Hard to believe someone would remove it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:52 am 
Guppy

Believe or not I don’t have it and then I have to work on it fast

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:40 pm 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yyytu26xgohe ... 1.JPG?dl=0

If you enlarge this pic you can see it, white cylinder shaped blower in the upper left corner. The way they should be set up is to suck air out of the bilge and exhaust it out the gunnel vent on that side. On the other side, the gunnel vent should be attached to a fresh air hose that leads air down into the bilge. If your vents are directional like mine are the one connected to the fresh air intake should face forward and the one connected to the blower should face aft. Here's how Chapman's shows it should be set up:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqxy5exthh185 ... s.jpg?dl=0

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 am 

Madrid, I haven't seen that you identify the model year of your boat. Look in the http://www.Fourwinns.com website under "Owners" then "Parts Catalog". Select your year and model. In the Parts List for your boat, look under "Hull Hardware". The blower and hose are widely available at dealers or marine supply stores. The blower and hose a almost certainly 4 inch diameter. There should be an outlet fitting either in the back of the boat or on the side near the back end that will take a 4 inch hose. Refer to Lou's photos in the previous post. Normally there is an inlet vent and this outlet vent to promote airflow while on plane. These will be near the top of the boat to reduce or prevent lake water from entering. Look closely and you should find screw holes or other indications showing where the blower was mounted. The blower is usually mounted lower in the engine compartment with a 4 inch hose between the blower and the outlet fitting, and often a hose on the blower's inlet side that extends down near a low point in the bilge. Re-connect the power and ground wires and you should be set.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:53 pm 
Guppy

My boat is a 200 horizon 180 this are the pics behind of my engine and no bilge blower I see on the right side 2 hole that potentially tell me something like a blower at was installed there but if you see the pic where I have to holes I don’t see any holes for screws there I’m assuming the owner had two vent caps or something like that.

Also I went to the four Winns page and there’s nothing related for a 2000 boat, parts start from 2002 unfortunately

How can I insert pics?? Lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 pm 

Madrid20, here is a link from one of the topics in the "Forum Issues" category: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1877

Basically you need to have the photos on some photo hosting site, and then provide the link in your post.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:12 pm 
Guppy

Thanks Surface Interval let’s try this again

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/doxnkn85ajfz ... kBYGa?dl=0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:58 am 

That worked. It looks like something was installed on the transom on the left side of the engine, but I'm not sure if that was the blower location or not.

One recommendation to any Four Winns owner: You might want to download and save the Four Winns Fast Facts, Owners Manual, Brochures, etc from the Four Winns site, especially if your boat is anywhere near the age of the older model years currently listed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:44 am 

Looks like the vents were in the transom? I have seen a few boats set up like that. On my boat the blower flanges and hoses were definitely 3", the smaller size ones. In any case, you know how to set it up now, I'd also put in a fume detector, I did that about 6 years ago, you nose is actually more sensitive but the fume detector will alert you if there is a problem while underway, or after stopping, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2htblj2p8idua ... s.JPG?dl=0

you can see the read-out panel for the fume detector here on the lower left side of the dash. it fits in a standard size gauge panel. well worth having. I picked up the power from the I (ignition) terminal on the ignition switch so it does not draw battery power all the time.

2008 Walker Bay 8