www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:30 am 
Minnow

Am considering installing Smart tabs on my 2006 Horizon 200.
Anyone put them on their 200?
Comments, Advice??
Thanks
C4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:28 am 
email admin your custom rank

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:10 am 
Sting Ray

I have a 210 and don't feel like I need them, sometimes it helps to shift the load around - maybe move the cooler or something. The cooler should have less effect as the day progresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:05 pm 
Narwhal

I'm considering the same thing on my '07 200. The cockpit seating fills up first, usually with adults, and I've found more than once that I don't have enough bow down trim available. (which is my only complaint with the ride and handling so far). While it's true that moving folks to the bow does overcome the perceived lack, I like to extend my boating season into the cooler months where it'd be too chilly to ride there with comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:01 pm 

Where would you mount them? The 200 does not run on the full pad of the beam. Tabs are great for larger boats and real handy when you need to make adjustments while at speed but are not the answer for a lack of power in the hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:11 pm 
Minnow

They will, as we have all been led to believe, give better hole shot performance, my boat is for skiing and tubing....That is the why..
Where to mount them is another question?? Can they be mounted on the stern section outside of the transom??
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 pm 
Narwhal

I too had hoped someone here had done it first. :wink: Probably the next best thing is to contact Nauticus, and find out if they've done any recent model Horizon 200s. I understand that they are very helpful.

Here's the link:

http://www.nauticusinc.com/

*edit - another mounting consideration is how the boat would sit on the trailer with the tabs installed. Also, I'm very curious how they affect boat handling when in reverse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:42 am 
Minnow

I have sent 2 mails to nauticus with no reply as yet.. :roll: :roll:
As for the handling and reverse questions, go to boatingabc forums, they had a pretty good (and long) thread on smarttabs.

Moderators: sorry if I am not supposed to mention another forum??? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:48 pm 
Narwhal

Been there done that. At least I don't have to worry about asking a stupid question with all the ruckus in that thread. I would expect a bit of 'stern down' behavior in reverse. The installation instructions suggest rigging up the arrangement below for trailering and beaching, but I'm not fond of the appearance.

Anyway, I think I'll snap a pic of my 200's transom and send it to John at Nauticus to see what he recommends in terms of tabs and positioning. I'm not ready to jump yet, just looking for more info - I'll post whatever response I get back.

Last edited by Jim_R on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:26 pm 
Minnow

Good luck on getting a response from John or info@nauticusinc...
I am not holding my breath for a reply ... been waiting 2 weeks now after now 3 mails sent?? WTF??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:40 pm 
Narwhal

C4,
Didn't mean to imply I would get a quicker response. In fact, I won't be able to snap a picture until this weekend. I don't know how responsive Nauticus is, but I have had situations where ISP spam filters have grabbed anything with sales in the addy. I don't know if you can check something like a 'bulk email' folder, but it could be that they replied and it was intercepted. Adding the domain from the address that you send to is usually one way to ensure that this does not happen. Again, I don't know that this is the case, just personally had this happen with other retailers. Just trying to help!

Post subject: E-mail
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:50 am 
Minnow

Jim_r
Sorry, was not getting at you.. Just frustrated from the lack of answer from them. Have tried different e-mail providers, to no avail.
I will have to call them it seems (being overseas does not make that easy either)..

C4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:46 am 
Narwhal

No worries. In fact, I'd be happy to call over there for you. With the toll free number they provide, it's a free call for me. I believe that there hasn't been any hull changes in the Horizon 200's from 2006 to 2007, so I'll snap a pic or two of my transom tomorrow (three day weekend for me 8) ), and give them a call. Other than recommendations as to which model and positioning of the tabs, any other questions I can ask for you?

*edit - I'm sure I will need to know the total HP for your Horizon, which engine do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:26 pm 
Narwhal

Txjole wrote:
Where would you mount them? The 200 does not run on the full pad of the beam. Tabs are great for larger boats and real handy when you need to make adjustments while at speed but are not the answer for a lack of power in the hole.

On the where question, I just spoke to Greg at Nauticus. He did not know of any existing installations on Horizon 200's. He did say that the tabs would be installed on the planing hull, likely below the 'swim platform'. From there he could only spell out requirements, and suggest that I measure to see if it can be done. The mounting bracket is 8", and the tabs are 9" at the bracket tapering out to 10", with a 9.5" depth. The plates are aligned even with the planning hull to act as an extension when fully raised, at an angle if necessary. The actuator installs perpindicular to the plate such that the plate extends down 25 degrees, and the top of the actuator mounts 10 inches upward onto the planing hull transom or if necessary, the bottom of the swim platform. So if the plate's at an angle, the 10 inches needed for the actuator is at an angle too.

Like this:

As to hole shot and top speed Nauticus guarantees smart tabs will improve the overall performance of a planing hull power boat, as claimed by the company or money back. These claims include a 30% decrease in time to plane, 35% decrease in minimum planing speed, 2-4 MPH increase in top speed (and increases at most RPMs as weel), and a MPG savings of 10% or more. Conditions apply - basically you have to call and work with their tech guys to ensure the installation is optimal, and if so return it to them for inspection. The SX is currently selling for $119 with free shipping (at a few online retailers).

Don't get me wrong, I am really happy with the way the 200 handles in most loading conditions. It's only when the cockpit is full of adults, and there's little or no weight in the bow that I'm not finding enough bow down control. Not really an issue I was looking to throw money at, but having explored the smart tabs, at a cost about equal to a tank of gas I'm tempted. I'll do my best to fight that temptation as I have other boat related projects in the works, but for those interested I'll do some measuring tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:23 pm 

Quote:
He did say that the tabs would be installed on the planing hull, likely below the 'swim platform'
The 200 has a stepped transom. The "planing hull" is about 12" towards the bow.

I just dont see how they will be worth the money on a 19 footer. IMO