www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 am 
Sting Ray

Hi,
So I am a new owner of the above.
I took the boat out once so far (still too cold) for a short run.
Couple issues I have and could use some advice.
1. It's missing the depth meter, the instrument is blank on the dashboard.
Is it something that I need to order from a dealer? Can I install it myself? What parts would I need to get?

2. The steering wheel has a considerable free-play (almost a quarter turn).
Are there some adjustments I can make to "tighten it" or do I need to replace something?

3. The shifter is very stiff. Both F and R equally stiff.
The throttle without gear (when pushing the neutral lock button) is ok, not super smooth but not anywhere near as stiff.
Is it something a grease might fix or do I need to replace something?

Where would I get a good electronic manual for this?
The owner's manual doesn't cover much at all.

Other than that I'm very excited and looking forward to the Summer.
I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Thanks

Last edited by GalacticWaterman on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:26 am 
email admin your custom rank

Congrats on your purchase! She is a great boat... (yes I am biased)

1. On the depth meter - it was an option on the boat, and it would replace the blank gauge in the instrument panel. You can source the factory style faria gauge kit from a nearby dealer http://faria-instruments.com/depth_sounder.php, or go aftermarket. Places like west marine and bass pro have "gauge style" depth sounders available. For example...

http://www.basspro.com/HawkEye-InDash-Digital-Depth-Sounder/product/10212724/

You can also install a fish finder or combo gps/fish finder depending on your needs, wants and budget. I have a fish finder in mine, along with an in-dash compass where the depth sounder usually goes.

2. I have a fair bit of free play in our steering system, and when the dealer checked it, he found it to be normal. I am not certain if there is an adjustment.... I don't believe there is.

3. I would be suspicious of the cables on the shifter mechanism becoming frayed, which would cause the stiffness issues. I know there is a method of adjusting the tension on the controler itself, but I would be checking the cables first.

I haven't seen a good free manual covering the internals of the throttle system. I am sure you could buy one from ebay, or your local dealer. The steering system manual can probably be found on teleflex's website. Just match up the number on your steering hub (under the dash).

Be sure to browse around the site, there is alot of good information to be had. And don't forget to post pictures of your new boat! It's an unofficial - official rule around here.... :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:04 am 

I have the same free-play in my steering. Drives me nuts. So far I've been told I just have to live with it and there is no fix or adjustment. I plan to dig in and inspect my whole steering system this spring to see if I can find exactly what part is causing the free-play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:42 pm 
Sting Ray

chrisvs wrote:
Congrats on your purchase! She is a great boat... (yes I am biased)

1. On the depth meter - it was an option on the boat, and it would replace the blank gauge in the instrument panel. You can source the factory style faria gauge kit from a nearby dealer http://faria-instruments.com/depth_sounder.php, or go aftermarket. Places like west marine and bass pro have "gauge style" depth sounders available. For example...

http://www.basspro.com/HawkEye-InDash-Digital-Depth-Sounder/product/10212724/

You can also install a fish finder or combo gps/fish finder depending on your needs, wants and budget. I have a fish finder in mine, along with an in-dash compass where the depth sounder usually goes.

2. I have a fair bit of free play in our steering system, and when the dealer checked it, he found it to be normal. I am not certain if there is an adjustment.... I don't believe there is.

3. I would be suspicious of the cables on the shifter mechanism becoming frayed, which would cause the stiffness issues. I know there is a method of adjusting the tension on the controler itself, but I would be checking the cables first.

I haven't seen a good free manual covering the internals of the throttle system. I am sure you could buy one from ebay, or your local dealer. The steering system manual can probably be found on teleflex's website. Just match up the number on your steering hub (under the dash).

Be sure to browse around the site, there is alot of good information to be had. And don't forget to post pictures of your new boat! It's an unofficial - official rule around here.... :wink:

Thanks for the info.
I like the idea of the compass instead of the depth sounder and separate fishfinder/gps unit.
I'll inspect the shifter system and will follow some of the advice given on the forums to narrow it down. From what I've read so far everything points to the cables needing replacing.

Yeah, pictures are a must. I'll post some asap. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:46 pm 
Sting Ray

JeffLW wrote:
I have the same free-play in my steering. Drives me nuts. So far I've been told I just have to live with it and there is no fix or adjustment. I plan to dig in and inspect my whole steering system this spring to see if I can find exactly what part is causing the free-play.

I'm kind of both glad it's not just me and at the same time disappointed that it might be a design fault in our boats.
There is no reason to have even one millimeter of free-play in any steering system at this day and age.

I'll keep researching it and trying to find a solution myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 pm 
Sting Ray

Just a few obligatory pics :)

I'll update my sig with a picture from water when it's bright and sunny out there :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:17 pm 
life to the full

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the new toy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 am 

Mine boat is the same as yours. I have power steering and I have hardly any free play. If yours is power steering check the ram behind the engine.

Check my pics out of my boat. I put a swim platform on the rear of mine. Made in USA and imported to Australia and fitted myself.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8923&p=104999#p104999

All up $1500 (AU$)

Enjoy mate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:30 pm 
Minnow

I had the same shifter problem with my H180. It is related to the throttle cable adjustment. If there is any tension on the throttle cable in neutral, it becomes difficult to shift. It is a safety feature to keep you from engaging the transmission when the engine is above idle. The fix involves placing the shifter in neutral and checking the throttle linkage at the engine to make sure the connector slides on to the pin without interference. The throttle cable must be completely "relaxed" when in neutral. I was all set to order new cables before I figured this one out.

2001 Horizon 180LE 4.3 VP SX
2008 GMC 1500 6.0L Z71

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:10 pm 

The throttle stiffness you can probably fix by taking the advice above advice. I have an '88 OMC Cobra and the shift cable is more than 10 years old (have the boat 11 yrs), and the steering cable has never been changed. I grease all the pivot points for both and they both still work smoothly. The steering on boats will never be as tight as modern vehicles because there more points were there can be play just like on old school American cars with recirculating steering vs today's mostly using rack and pinion. But 1/4 turn play is much too much, an inch or 2 is more typical. Older Merc drives were prone to play in the pivots and that is something that needs to be checked along with the helm steering unit and cable.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 pm 
Sting Ray

Giffo wrote:
Mine boat is the same as yours. I have power steering and I have hardly any free play. If yours is power steering check the ram behind the engine.

Check my pics out of my boat. I put a swim platform on the rear of mine. Made in USA and imported to Australia and fitted myself.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8923&p=104999#p104999

All up $1500 (AU$)

Enjoy mate.

Thanks for the info. How do I tell if my is power steering?
I've looked at the pics. Very nice. I like the swim platform and will probably order one myself at some point.
But my budget is rather depleted right now and I still have to get a few things first before I can afford a swim platform.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:47 pm 
Sting Ray

@ LouC and @ waterboy
Thanks guys, good advice.
I'll just have to figure out all the details what is where as the owners manual is useless.
They mix safety warnings with technical stuff, and most everything is in no particular order.
Early in the book they talked how to start the engine before even explaining how the shifter lever works etc.
The engine chapter starts with talk about a propeller etc.
It's one of the worst written manuals, for a large machine like this, I've ever seen.
I'm all for safety stuff but they way it's intermixed with technical stuff in the manual is counterproductive, distracting, and should be either in a separate section of the manual together or in a completely separate book.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 am 

Owners manual won't be too much help, you probably need a Mercury Marine factory shop manual. I have one for our old 88 OMC and it's saved me probably thousands over 11 years of boat ownership.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:35 pm 
Sting Ray

LouC wrote:
Owners manual won't be too much help, you probably need a Mercury Marine factory shop manual. I have one for our old 88 OMC and it's saved me probably thousands over 11 years of boat ownership.

You're right. I understand that the owner's manual is not meant to be a shop manual. But I wish it had just a little bit more information and was better organized.
I will have to order one from Mercury unless I can find one on the Internet (I'll do my best as my budget is running low now after all the expenses).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:37 pm 
Sting Ray

Well, took the boat for over 3 hour, 60 Km cruise last Friday.
After lubricating the pivot points the shifter is not as stiff and I'm getting used to it.
I got used to the steering at cruising speed but at very slow speed it's almost impossible to go in straight line.
That really bothers me.
So I'll have to work on the steering.
But I'm glad to report that the engines starts reliably and runs great.
I also got all the shop manuals so I'm all set.
Looking forward to the Summer!