www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:18 pm 
All Night Long

I've been researching and hunting and looking at various 23-25 foot bowriders... I love the FW Horizon 240... seems to be a great size...

Looked at Monterey today -- and for me, I like the FW better. That dealer also carried Formula -- and man are those boats SWEET. But having the price be almost twice as much as an FW, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Still going to check out Regal a bit more... and the Chap 246. I did show my wife the Horizon 240 and she loved the boat. Especially the porta potty and sink... saw the exact same 260 that is in the brochure (was actually the boat used in the photo shoot in Seattle (white w/ copper stripe)) - and that 260 is just a bit too big for us. But - another fantastic boat...

Word has it that for 2008, they are adding a couple color options, changing the stereo to Sony, and making the arch a bit easier to fold down for storage. Oh, and the price is going up 2-3%

Anyone else got any input? Any reason why an 08 is worth waiting for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:27 am 
Mental Floss

My observations, take them for what they are worth.

1. We have a member who purchased a Chap 26' bow rider two yrs ago. Keeps it in his garage. The vents for the bilge blower are "green" not silver and shiny. Other thing regarding Chap, don't expect to ever talk to the people at the factory. You deal with the dealer all most entirely. Very different from what I've and most here have experieince from FW, which is happy to talk directly to the customers of their boats.

2. We have a couple of members with Monterey boats. Overall very nicehowever, IMHO from being on the boats and helping out a couple of times, not as finished as a FW. That could have changed, haven't looked closely at a 2006-07 like I have with the '05 and '04 in the club.

3. Fourmula is represented in our club. As a matter of fact, my dauthers Godparents have a 05 27PC, within inches of size of out 288. The boats are very comparable in fit and finish and build. They are with us on 80% of our cruises. I have been all over the boat routinely. Layout of the Formula 27PC is not nearly as nice as the FW 288. Not dedicated cooler storage in their cockpit. Space for electronic at the helm is very limited. They paid probably 25% more than we did (not a big deal when you are a lottery winner!). No large/extended swim platform. The swim ladder is mounted between the two out drives and is small requiring them to carry a small step ladder to get on the boat when on the trailer, and their genset has no sound shield. As to how the bowriders compare, being less design options compared to a criuiser, they may be just as well laid out function-wise.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:40 pm 
230 Mike

We love the 230 (240). With full tanks, anchors, toys, etc., it'll be 6,500# with the trailer. Be sure you've got enough truck to tow it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:04 pm 
Sting Ray

IMO the 240 is the Swiss Army knife of bow riders. Everyone that comes aboard is impresses with all the features and layout. I’m really happy with mine and had another great day out there today with it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:46 am 
Minnow

You are giving yourself a big "FAVOR" when you go for a Horizon 240, that is what I have and it is a real nice Boat, I can't find any reason to say no to it. Shes a beauty, other boaters just can't help but look at her.

2007 FourWinns Horizon 240
5.7 GXi-DP 320 HP
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 381 HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:21 pm 
Dolphin

ditto on the votes for the 240 --- we love our 230 --- it's been the perfect boat for the family, especially when all the friends come along, and a great compromise on fit and finish. Like the Forumula, we also considered the Cobalt --- top of the line in the finish department, but was it really worth the extra 20k for the same motor, etc.?

Last question of yours was the "wait"....... even if the 2008 "is" a sweeter boat, will you be able to get back the w/e's you missed being on the 240 for the rest of this year? If they can get you delivery in the next week or two with a boat that is in the lot, I wouldn't even hesitate.

Ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:50 am 
Seahorse

We have only had our 2004 230 for a couple of weeks, but we used it for about 10 days straight (which has accounted for about 1/3 of its total hours) and we're thrilled with it. We use it in NH's larger lakes and it has worked out great.
- Small enough to easily trailer (2000 Tundra 4x4) and launch in some 'no so big' ramps.
- Large enough to take 8 (my wife and 6 teens) out for the day wakeboarding, skiing, tubing, etc., and not feel at all crowded.
- Big enough to hand the big water (in NH)
- Small enough to not feel 'too big' in some of the smaller lakes.
- Small enough to easily ski behind

The layout is great and it has exceeded our expectations.