www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FW 220 5.0 vs 5.7
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:02 pm 
Guppy

Hello, I have spent a lot of time in smaller aluminum boats and a 18 foot runabout but this will be my first boat. We want a family fun machine that we can enjoy while our kids are in their early teens. I am looking at buying a 2007 FW Horizon 220 and have some questions.

The local dealer has a several 220's in stock. 1 has the 5.0L Merc bravo 1 combo with the watersports tower. Another has the th 5.7L/B3 and Arch tower, and a third has the 5.7 Bravo 3 duoprop and cruise control but no tower.

We want to get out and enjoy some time with our 3 kids and some of their friends, pulling tubes, wakeboards watever. I am ready to buy now.

We like the Watersports tower, for the looks, the easier fold down, and the way the Bimini integrates with the tower. I don't see any advantages about the Arch tower. I don't even know how badly we require a tower, but my 2 sons want to wakeboard and have some AIR and seem to believe a tower is required and it seems like a good feature.

My fear with the 5.0L is that it will be under powered and also effect resale later on. Are there any 220 owners out there that can comment on the 220 with 5.0L/Bravo 1?? I also like the idea of the Bravo 3 with the 2 props.

The 220 without the tower has the merc cruise control, any ideas on how useful this would be?

I would consider ordering the tower in from FW and having the dealer or installing myself. Has anyone done the FW factory tower installation? Thoughts?

It seems the 220 configured the way I want is not available and I don't particularily want to factory order because I don't think we would be able to enjoy it this summer.
Any thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:41 am 
email admin your custom rank

DDP, you have my thoughts from the other forum. For everyone else's info, I have recommended the 5.7/B3 setup.

Glad you mentioned the wakeboarding and your sons. The tower is not required to pull good wakeboard tricks, but it will help with getting AIR. I would recommend some kind of tower. No real "advantage" to the ski arch, other than appearance. If you're looking for foldable as a big feature, I would say to go with the wakeboard tower. Are you sure it folds down? That is not something I had looked into, so I'm ignorant in that regard.

I should add that I think the Merc speed control is WAY overpriced when compared to PerfectPass (which is only $1100 if you install it, and most places will do it for about $1500 with labor). But, it will do what you want it to do. From experience, it can be pretty difficult to give someone a good pull on a wakeboard at the slow wakeboarding speeds. I/O's typically have a hard time staying on plane at those speeds. The B3 definitely helps this issue, as I am able to stay on plane at 18 or 19 in mine.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:51 am 
Mental Floss

There is no replacement for displacement. 5.7

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:57 am 

Oneday you will look back and want more power. Go 5.7. I begged for the 8.1 in my 200, but they refused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:23 am 
Guppy

Well I can't find anyone that says yeah 5.0L is ok

So I pick up the FW 220 5.7 Bravo 3 in a couple days. No Tower though, but I figure you can add a tower, but engine has got to be right from the start. I am probably going to order the factory tower.

Now I am looking at tow vehicles.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:26 am 

Good choice. The tower is not a necessity until your WB's get to be good riders and really start to try real jumps, anyway. Most slalom guys dislike using a tower, and you aren't supposed to pull tubes behind a tower either.

So, add the tower later and enjoy the power now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:42 am 
Guppy

So we have been enjoying the FW220 with 5.7 DP, very nice.

The watersports tower arrived and since the dealer can't install it until fall and I can save some money and enjoy it now by installing it myself we picked it up and have set it in place on the boat.

Unfortunately my dealer does not have any 220's left in stock and there is no template for exact tower location. So I am looking for anyone out there with a FW 220 and watersports tower that can check a couple measurements for me before we start drilling holes.

Basically I figure I am within an inch of locating this thing, but it would be nice to know what the factory did.

Also is there need for extra fiberglass or wood backing on the underside of the bolts? The kit came with a rectangular plate for the rear and just a big washer for the front mount. I know if the dealer was installing it, the holes would be drilled and the bolts mounts without any additional fiberglass, but since I am doing the job I can add the extra support if it is really required.

How much bigger than the bolt size should the hole be?

Should I seal the hole edges with fiberglass resin after drilling the holes just to make sure they are solid?

Any help is appreciated.
[img][img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa60/ddp1960/IMG_3177.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image
[img][img]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa60/ddp1960/IMG_3200.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 pm 

Can't help with the exact tower location, but WOW - that looks great.

Others may have suggestions on drilling into the gelcoat...I've seen some postings about starting out with the drill in reverse.

Just out of curiosity, what's holding that thing on? I see the bungee cord, but there's got to be more to it than that.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:57 pm 
Guppy

The tower is only sitting on the boat right now. There are rubber pads under the mounts. The front mounts are sitting on the bow deck. The rear are just sitting in place due to friction and the fact that the tower has a fixed width basically is very rigid, and the sides taper out so to move down it would have to spread out which due to being rdgid, it doesn't want to do.

It is a very nice fit.

Of course this is why I am anxious to get the final measurements and get it mounted ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:06 pm 
Narwhal

Certainly does look like a custom fit. 8) You might call in to FW Customer Support to ask if the factory installs any internal bracing or additional support under the hull in those areas as part of the install. I'd probably also seal each support area with 3M 4200, if not 5200. BTW - nice looking boat!

Last edited by Jim_R on Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:10 pm 

What's wrong with where you have it now? Looks pretty good to me. It isn't rocket science as far as where to mount them. You just need a good flush mount.