www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:07 am 
Minnow

hello everyone in this forum, I have a Horizon 240 2007, I only lauched my boat so far in the lakes and in the California Delta waters, and my wife wanted to go to the Ocean for Crabbing sometime, but i am not sure how this boat will handle the ocean waters, is there anyone of you here who have tried to launch their boat in the Bays or Ocean? 'cause when I bought this boat it was tested in the lake but with choppy waters and winds @ 20MPH that day. Thanks for your reply.

2007 FourWinns Horizon 240
5.7 GXi-DP 320 HP
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 381 HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:04 pm 
230 Mike

Hi George,

Being in Kansas, I'm about the last one who can answer your question, but I'd like very much to know how your Tundra does pulling your 240, and whether you tow in any hills.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:35 pm 
Minnow

Mike,
My Tundra is the Big version of all the Tundra models that is in the market as of now, it has a V8 5.7L 381 HP engine, this one is the one called Crew Max with the short bed, it has a 10,500 Lbs. Tow rating.
As for the Horizon 240 itself weighs approximately 4500 lbs. + 1500 Lbs. on the trailer + equipments, Gas, and water, say the gross weight of Boat+Trailer+equipments etc, is 7500, then I still have lots of room.

I used the truck to pull the boat in the highway, uphill or downhill without a problem, when I went to the Lake (Camanche Lake) which is located in Valley Springs CA, (I have to drive on the mountain up and downhill)
I didn't have no problem, it has the required power to pull, then I have no problem when braking, I can always feel that the trailer brakes are working too, I just have to be real slow when pulling forward from a stop to avoid the clunk noise in the tongue, as you know they are surge actuated brakes. I hope this will answer your question. If you have some more questions please feel free to ask.

George

5.7 GXi-DP 320 HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:19 pm 
230 Mike

Thank you George. Actually, unless you've had your boat weighed, I'd be surprised if it's quite that heavy. I weighed mine with full fuel & water, all the anchors, toys, etc., and it was exactly 6,500#. It's good to hear the CrewMax does the job. I sometimes wonder how much input the marketing departments have on the published tow ratings. Thanks again.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
Sting Ray

I've had mine out in the ocean a few times. I'll only go out the inlet if the weather is good. It is a lot different then the bay. The ocean has big swells that roll in so you kind of just rise and fall with them. Its kind of fun actually. The only time it might not be that pleasant is if you get a two foot chop or so. If you are going slow a few might break over the bow. You should be good if you just keep the bow up with a little speed. Most of my time is spent on the Great South Bay here on Long Island NY, and it does tend to get a good chop when the wind picks up. So far the 240/230 has handled it well. I haven't had a day when I couldn't go out. If the wind is kicking I just keep the RPMs at about 2800 and just plow through. Anyway, hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:19 pm 
Minnow

Mike
I think I over estimated the total weight of the boat + equipment etc. but i always give allownce for the passengers of the truck while towing, i always have my family and some guests with me when i go to the lakes or the Delta waters, that is how i came up with the 7,500 Lbs. estimated total weight against my Trucks towing capacity. and I also make it sure that the tow haul function of the truck is turned on when i am towing my boat. just for the sake of safety and to avoid the gear from shifting to overdrive. I hope this will help

5.7 GXi-DP 320 HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:06 pm 
Dolphin

Georgehope2 ....we've never had JustBreathe out in the open ocean, but take her to Raritan Bay (directly south of Staten Island by Sandy Hook) a lot. As noted above, we'll get one over the bow every once in awhile, but she takes it ok...one time we put the bow cover on "just in case," but it was fine....that was in a 2+ foot chop. Not always the most fun ride, but still better than staying at home. Usually it's just to navigate our way to some calmer waters...

We'll probably round the Hook to take her out eventually--- not sure I'm up for running thru the inlet in Manasquan or elsewhere south along the Jersey shore.

Ernie