www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips and tricks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:24 pm 
Clownfish

Hi all!
Since we all have Horizons, I thought we could share any tips or tricks we've done to our boats to improve them.

A few things I've done to my boat (2004 Horizon 180) is added an MP3 plug to my Clarion XMD3 radio. It has an "Aux" input, so that was easy job.

Another is that my Bimini mounts on the top of the side window frame, being held down by 2 sheet metal screws. The screws pulled out on one side. I replaced all 4 screws with bolts (mounted on the underside of the bimini mount, and used nylon insert lock nuts to hold it down. So far, it seems to work well.

Another thing I was thinking of was drilling some small holes in the cup holders, so that if anything spilled in them, it'd just run down inside the sides and end up in the bilge, where it'd get drained out at the end of the day. Another easy job.

Has anyone found a fix for the bolts that hold the bimini to the window mount? These are the ones that have a plastic covered wingnut at one end. I seem to break at least one each season. They look like they're made out of pot metal. I've used different bolts, but they bend and I'm afraid I might not be able to remove them if I need to.

If you'd like any further details or pictures of what I've done, I can post them. Let's hear what you've done!

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:29 pm 
Clownfish

I emailed Four Winns about drilling the cup holders and while waiting or a response I spoke to the dealer. The salesperson who sold me the boat told me to go ahead and drill holes in them. After I drilled I got the response from Four Winns. They advised against it and that there were not holes in them for a reason. I forwarded the email to the sales guy and he replaced them back to original. I know they are a pain to clean but I just deal with it.

I added the CMD4 to my Clarion so I could play my Ipod. Not the ideal setup. I wouldn't recommend it. I can use the Monster FM Ipod converter and get better results.

So I guess I can tell you what not to do!

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:32 am 
Dolphin

I drilled holes in our cup holders 2 years ago and am very glad I did. Life is much easier. Check 'em --- from what I could tell, there's a lot of places where water is going to get below the cup holders with or without the holes.... be careful in a couple of places though --- on our 230, the cup holders by the sink are very close to the hoses...you could easily put a hole in the sink hose.

Ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:36 am 
Dolphin

One other thing I did was specifically purchase a separate, long 17mm socket (I had my whole socket wrench set on board at one point, but that seemed like overkill) for tightening the throttle handle. Ours never fails to loosen up at least once each summer. You need it to reach in and tighten the nut that is under the release button in the center.

Ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:13 pm 
Guppy

My favorite was adding a remote trim switch on the transom. It was really easy and has been more convienient than I had even imagined. The next best was adding a Davis rudder indicator to the steering wheel. It was terrific until it self-destructed a couple weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:21 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I installed PerfectPass speed control system on mine. I've got a separate thread on here re: installation instructions. That thread is incomplete, as I've run into some complications in getting down to my place at the lake to take pictures. On top of that, I've been having some problems with the system that PerfectPass tech support has been working on with me to try to resolve.

But, when the system is functioning properly I get a variation of about 0.3 MPH while I'm being pulled behind the boat which is AMAZING. Nothing more frustrating than a fluctuating boat speed when you're on a wakeboard.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:35 pm 
Mental Floss

All, please send/email me anything like these suggestions, write up, pics, etc.. I've put together another site for projects that can be used as a clearing house.

http://www.boat-projects.com

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:27 pm 

Jim, am interested in the remote trim switch on the transom.. any details on how you did it and parts used?

Thanks!

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:39 pm 

I can tell you it was fairly easy for me, but I lack the ability to tell you parts used as I have a Merc... :lol: Not too relevent for your VP.

3 holes drilled for the screws and switch and mine connected inline with a "T" connector to the trim controles. Love my switch too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:45 pm 
230 Mike

I got a rock.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:46 pm 

Where abouts did you mount the switch Rob?

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:54 pm 
230 Mike

OK, seriously.

Transom trim switch
MP3 input
Polish & balance both prop sets
All trailer lights changed to LED's
Tires swapped for Marathons
Moved both batteries from stbd to port
Registration numbers applied, then removed, then reapplied, then removed, then reapplied again with nicer numbers where they shoulda been in the 1st place
:evil:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:51 am 

Suggestion on your numbers if you like them to look nice and perfectly straight like Mike's (Sometimes I dream, that he is me...Like Mike, if I could be like Mike...OK back to the show...):

Many local trophy shops have the capability of screen printing 3-inch numbers/letters onto a clear decal sheet. The finished product is similar to football helmet decals, which hold up to weather and a severe beating pretty well. My brother had this done for his boat, and it looks fantastic-you can't even see the edge of the clear part and his letters are perfect.

Mine, hand applied individually, don't look nearly as nice. Then again, I don't look at that part of the boat all that often while I'm driving it, boarding behind it, or swimming.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:27 am 

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
Where abouts did you mount the switch Rob?

Placed the trim switch on the port side just inside the hinge for the sun pad. To install we removed the sun pad (3 man job) and it was mounted as high as I could. Picure just tucked under the lip of the sunpad. Best place I could find/figure. If i'm lucky enough to get the boat out this weekend I'll snap a picture for ya. Unfortunately the weather has sucked the big one lately. Forcast has us pegged at highs of plus 10 C down to -2 C for the week. I hate fall... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:27 am 

I hear ya Rob, our summer is coming to a quick end in Ontario with this cold wet weather.

Look forward to your pics, as this is a mod that I am considering as well.

Cheers

Image Image