www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:35 pm 
All Night Long

While my wife and I anxiously await the delivery of a new addition to the family... '08 240... I have to admit that my wife is really starting to get tired of the "what do you think if I do this/add this to the boat over the winter since we won't be able to take out until April". She's very supportive of my thoughts and ideas - she never says no - she only says "I trust your judgement". As all of us who are married, I think we know what that means...

Personally, I'm totally OCD about this whole thing... to order this option or to not... the "whywould I pay 3 times as much to have Four Winns add what I can do myself"... THe boat goes into production on 9/20... should see it end of October... and then it goes into winter storage until April. I think I jumped the gun a bit on this one, but I feel like it gives me time to get all of my projects completed!

My short list.... is getting longer...

Question for all of you 230+ owners... and gathering opinions as to whether some of these ideas are worth it or not...

1) Transom tilt switch -- the part costs less than 50 bucks... I had one on my previous boat and I can't bring myself to have a dealer install a plug and play wiring harness and drill a couple holes... Question is - the transom area of the 240 has some interesting lines... Where is everyone putting the swith so that is accessible from the ground when the boat is on trailer?

2) Wired remote control... I really don't feel like I need a transom remote... It's my wife and I, no kids... where I really want a remote is on the passenger side so my wife will stop asking me to "change the channel" or turn it up/down/off... If riding in the car is any indication - this is a must have feature for me. Now the problem - with the head access door, the glove box thing, and the grab handle - where can I fit that remove comfortably? Anyone thought of this or done this mod? Sony is the 2008 radio - and that remote is definitely on the larger side...

3) I ordered the boat with dual batteries from Four Winns... a power inverter is a must have for us. Given that we both work in hi-tech and we plan to work "remotely" on the middle of the lake... we need a place to plug in laptops and such... a 1500 watt should be more than sufficient and I figure I'll utilize the empty space behind the cooler in the storage area under the seat... probably add an "outlet" and a switch to turn it on and off... Has anyone else done this? Was heat a problem?

4) That nasty Sony speaker setup... getting ripped out.... I'm most likely going with 4 sets of 7inch JL audio components... a 6 channel JL marine grade amp... and a 10 inch sub. Everything is a no brainer on this... but is anyone with the sub mounted in the stock location getting rattles on the side? should I stuff some batting or anything in the area to kind of seal up the area... was thinking of even putting some dynamat on the back surface to help deaden the fiberglass and help with bass response... Anyone have pictures our ideas on this? JL audio has been top gear for cars for ages... and Mastercraft uses it for OEM... so I feel confident that it will hold up over time and use... T

5) My stretch goal... for those floating days... I'm keeping my eye out for a little 15 or so inch LCD TV that I can mount to the arch. I have experiencing in fabrication, so I am brainstorming a quick release setup thta would allow the TV to mount and also an over the air antenna... We have Seafair up here in the Pacific Northwest, and it would NOT suck be able to watch the hydros while tied up and partying. Maybe I'll even get crazy and try to do some flip down style to mount to the upper part of the arch... and have it swivel as needed to point front or rear... Has anyone ever thought of this?

Are there any other things that I should really focus on over the winter... I thought about trim tabs, but too many people have said the 240 doesn't need them with the 5.7 GXI duoprop... I'm on the wait and see for that one... I think I saw somewhere that someone (I think 230 Mike) pulled his props and polished/balanced them -- was it worth it? Did you notice a difference?

Man I wish I had pictures to share.... 6 more weeks and maybe... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:52 pm 
230 Mike

Transom tilt switch - this is the most useful change I've made to the boat. As to doing it yourself, as long as you're comfortable drilling holes, go for it. Know, however, that the Volvo switch has a connector on it (as if intended to be plug & play) but my dealer spent half a day on the phone with Volvo trying to figure out how to splice it in because there was no mating connector on the boat. They had to figure out where in the harness to connect it.

Transom stereo remote - got it, but have used it maybe 3 times in as many years. Actually, I think if it was just the wife and I, we'd use it more. With the kids, we never have time to just hang out on the porch and relax. As to a remote on the passenger side, maybe the '08's are different - but isn't the head unit over there where she can change whatever she wants?

Stock sub - no rattles here.

Batteries - I don't think the factory will do this, but be prepared to have them both moved to the port side, otherwise there's a good chance you're going to have a starboard list. Many 230/240 owners have had to do this.

Props - no, no detectable difference. I had it done because of a thread on another board where a guy had taken his props to a shop with a lab-quality balancing machine, and there was lot of discussion of the benefits. On a whim I took mine out to my local "old school" prop shop to have the balance checked, and was surprised that they were both out of balance even though brand-new. The owner explained to me that VP balances their props at the factory (of course), but they do it before installing the hubs - and the hubs are big and heavy enough that they can throw off the balance. So I went ahead and had them balanced again. I knew of no problem beforehand and detected no changes afterward.

Other stuff:

- I'd remove the mounting screws from the windshield (one at a time!) and put a small dab of silicone on the threads of each one just to keep them from backing out. All of mine along the front kept backing out until I did that. The sides never did it, but it would be good insurance.

- Go around and double check tightness on all clamps (but you'll need to do that again after the first season!).

- Every time you do any work on the boat where you can see the mfr. name, part number, serial number, etc., take time to record it. Some day, that part will fail and you'll be glad you've got the information already available to get the replacement. I keep all mine in my Pocket PC.

- Wax.

- Treat all the vinyl with 303 a couple of times.

- Wax.

- Decide whether you're comfortable with the Carlisle tires.

- Wax.

- Get a roll of little trash can liners to keep in the boat for the "kitchen."

- Decide what size fenders to buy - I thought I had what I wanted and found out I wanted much bigger ones the first time we slipped the boat on a trip.

- Decide what size lines to get and invest a little into some nice ones - they're worth it IMO.

- Figure out what kind of anchor to start with, but be prepared for the possibility that the first one may not be what you end up with. I've got a 15# Digger that I've used twice, that I should probably sell because I don't intend to use it again.

- I don't know if this has changed since '05, but the stock lights in my gauges weren't bright enough. Quite a few people complained about it at the time. The reason was that they used standard incandescent bulbs with colored rubber boots over them. The boots knocked the light down to where it was unusable until it was almost completely dark outside. I wound up switching all my helm lights to LED's, which also gave me the option of changing colors. The stock lights were blue, now they're red, which doesn't make your pupils close at night, and they generate no heat to discolor the gauge faces over time. Here's a comparison photo. There are 3 large gauges. The one on the right has the stock blue bulb, the left two have the red LED's. This photo is underexposed, so all 3 of them were brighter than this, but this gives you an idea of how much difference it made.

- Based on recent discussions, if you didn't opt for the bow scuff plate, I'd definitely add it now.

- Wax.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:09 pm 
All Night Long

Thanks for the heads up Mike...

Where did you mount the transom tilt switch? Can you get to it while the boat is on trailer? Got a pic by chance?

On the 08's, the radio is lower right of the steering wheel. I wish they'd kept it on the passenger side though - it would remove alot of belly ach'in from the wife. =)

We definitely wouldn't put in a wired remote on the transom... the passenger side is the priority... unless you can have multiple remotes... hmm - there's some extra ideas. I found the remote online for like 100 bucks..... for the nice one with the display - it's a bargain in my book.

The props being out of whack is an interesting situation. In the long run, you will always be glad you balanced them.

For adding the sub - did you do that yourself, or did you get the "premium" stereo upgrade with the boat?

This is my first Four Winns - and I must say that I love the amount of design that goes into the boats as they sit... pop up cleats are now standard... the quality of product used... I am super excited to get out on the lake... but I'll settle for just getting possession of the boat for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:14 pm 
230 Mike

Sorry, the transom switch - can easily access it from the ground. No picture, but I'll take one and post it in the next couple of days if you can wait that long.

I dunno about the Sony's, but my '05 with the Clarion has two remotes. One at the helm and one on the porch. I'd probably do it the same way again, as soon as we didn't have it back there we'd wish we did (that's assuming we ever used the boat of course).

On the sub - I bent over and paid for the "premium" package ($800 in exchange for $200 worth of parts). FWIW, from all the comments I've heard the Clarion package does actually sound better than the newer Sony systems they're using. The only real knock I've heard on the Clarion systems is that they don't use a dedicated amp for the sub. Cincy Aquaholic may be along shortly to describe how he added a 2nd identical amp just to power his sub. Also I'm sure the Clarion speakers aren't the best in the world, but we listen at reasonable (and lower) volumes, and we really like it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:20 pm 
Narwhal

On the sub, with the '07s and Clarion, the upgrade did include a sub box. I'd think you'd want a sealed enclosure for any aftermarket sub as well. With an enclosure, stuffing is only used when the enclosure is of less than optimal size for the specs of the given woofer. Polkaudio has some great info available about sub mounting on their website.

The only other comment I'd make is that I personally have had some reluctance to make modifications (which I really enjoy doing) prior to the 20 hour service. Even then, I know I'll have doubts on how my modifications impact the extended warranty. Of course the plus side of doing it yourself includes selecting your own components, increased knowledge of your boat, and knowing that your boat is one of a kind. Anyway, Congratulations and Enjoy!

Last edited by Jim_R on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:21 pm 
All Night Long

When I asked the dealer about the premium upgrade for 08, he said I could have gotten the option for about 750 (discounted from retail price). What the package added were tweeters to all 4 speakers, an amp, and the sub... When I look at the quality of product... I couldn't justify it.

I can spend around 1500 and get all high quality JL components, install kits, wires, etc... If I choose to have it installed, I'm looking at about 350 bucks... I'll see how I feel this winter...

I actually really liked the Clarion speakers that were from the 05-07 boats... I was really disappointed with the switch to Sony... And if Four Winns didn't include satellite radio, I'd probably consider switching the head unit back to Clarion...

I figure I'll start with speakers and if I'm unhappy with the head unit, I'll change it out the following year...

No rush on the switch pic, but I would love to see where you mounted it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 pm 
230 Mike

The only other thing I'd offer about the stereo stuff is a reminder that an open boat is about the worst acoustic environment on earth - so while it's worth investing a certain amount of money to get decent sound, IMO you'll quickly reach a point of diminishing returns, so my advice is to keep it reasonable. Oh, and the fact that not everyone on the lake wants to listen to the same thing you do :) .

The other suggestion I'd make is to get as familiar with your trailer as you are with your boat. After the first season, I actually replaced all my bearings & races - not because they needed it, but because I wanted to run a specific grease in my hubs and no one at FW could tell me what was already in them, so I couldn't be sure of compatibility. That job forced me to learn everything about my brakes, hubs, how fast your lug nuts can corrode onto the studs if they aren't attended to, etc. The next year, my reverse lockout solenoid failed, and replacing it forced me to learn everything there is to know about my coupler, how to bleed it (and how NOT to), etc.

In fact, if I added up the hours, I'd bet I've spent more time getting to know my trailer than my boat.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:35 pm 
All Night Long

Stereo's are definitely a touchy subject with all boaters... and I totally believe that I want to hear my stereo in my boat... and within 3-4 feet around me. Given how sound travels on water, you definitely need to watch it.

I totally agree... and that's why I'm keeping it simple with 4 high quality mids/tweets and 1 infinite baffle sub (doesn't require a full enclosure).

If I wanted to go crazy, I'd be the a$$ with 14 tower mounted speakers pointing front and back, with 8 subwoofers. Although, if I did that, I would probably never be able to turn off the engine. =)

I went through the "loud" phase when I was 16... I'm now in the quality phase...

As for FW using an enclosure with their premium subs like the Clarion. It's my understanding that the subs do NOT have an enclosure and that they are infinite baffle in nature and use the airspace between the fiberglass layers... I have been told this by multiple people... Was I misinformed?

Oh - and I guess I left out the most important item from Mike's earlier post- WAX. I use standard Meguiars Marine.... any issues with that stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:38 pm 
230 Mike

BTW, I've added onto my earlier posts as I've thought of stuff, so if you really enjoy punishment you might wish to take another look.

I use Maguiar's Flagship Marine... but any good marine wax with UV blockers should be good. The blockers are the most important thing.

My sub just uses the dead space between the liner and the hull. I think Jim said the enclosures were only used on the '07 Clarions.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:44 am 
230 Mike

Cougar, here's that transom tilt/trim switch. Sorry these are a bit dark and not too clear, I took them in the storage unit and it was dark outside.

I think you were concerned about how it would sit on the curved surfaces. Hopefully this shows it isn't a problem. Putting it up fairly close to the storage locker door keeps it covered when the cockpit cover is on, so if it rains while trailering we don't get water inside the switch (it should be waterproof anyway, but it's just one more thing).

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:17 am 
wkearney99

Quote:
3) I ordered the boat with dual batteries from Four Winns... a power inverter is a must have for us. Given that we both work in hi-tech and we plan to work "remotely" on the middle of the lake... we need a place to plug in laptops and such... a 1500 watt should be more than sufficient and I figure I'll utilize the empty space behind the cooler in the storage area under the seat... probably add an "outlet" and a switch to turn it on and off... Has anyone else done this? Was heat a problem?

An alternative to installing the inverter would be to use 12vdc power supplies with the laptops. I picked up two, one for me the other for the wife's laptop. These are the kind that can run off car cigarette lighters and airplane armrest sockets. These are straight 12vdc supplies, so they're smaller than ones that work off both DC and AC power. One was a Kensington and the other from Toshiba (picked up CHEAP from fleabay). This way the power supplies stay on the boat; one less thing to carry. Then just pick up a 12vdc cigarette lighter outlet extension from Radioshack. They also sell outlet splitters to let you use more than one device in a single outlet. But I found it was better to just add some 12vdc sockets in a couple of locations. I may actually add a different one now that I've gotten used to using the laptop on the boat. I'd probably be happier putting the outlet down below the edge of the sofa and running the cord up instead of running across the top/back of it. I'd imagine the same thing would apply on your boat too. Try using it a few times without a new socket and see what would really work best.

Inverters are handy just make SURE you set it up with a GFCI socket, weatherproof if it's going to be exposed. Do not use just a plain socket.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 am 
The Real Dr.Evil

cougarcruiser wrote:
4) JL audio has been top gear for cars for ages... and Mastercraft uses it for OEM... so I feel confident that it will hold up over time and use...

Congrats on your order! That's going to be an almost endless wait I'm sure.. And then to go straight into winter layup, eww! :)

Polk Audio is factory equipment on Mastercraft unless they have changed within the last year. The JL Marine speakers are nice, but I would give the edge to Polk Momo. The Momo's are fully water proofed and certified for marine use, they are power hungry but when driven with good clean juice, even the 6.5's will throw out some strong 50Hz bass!

I ran two pairs of Momo 6.5's and two Momo 10's in my last boat, fed off a Kicker 700.5 and a Pioneer Premeir 9600MP head unit, it was a better sound system than lots of folks have in their cars.

I don't think you can go wrong with all JL, but you may want to give the Polks a listen as well. I would still recommend JL for the power side of things.

[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:39 am 
All Night Long

Wow... I hadn't given much thought to the Polk's... Just a brief check at Crutchfield -- Polk has some serious marine speakers... wow.

So I see the MOMO series... but I also see the DB series. I've used Polk DB series in the past in cars - and they were awesome...

Crutchfield has a buy 1, get 1 set at half price deal....

I'm kind of digging this set:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xcTr3BbH7i ... =107DB6501

THey aren't the MOMO set... but they are the db set... and I can get 2 sets of them for 300 bucks... no tax... free shipping...

What's everyone think? I am betting they are probably a moderate step down than the JL's - but as it's been noted before... bow rider boats aren't the most acoustically great vehicles... so would I really miss much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:01 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

Cougar,

In my experiance (two Jeep wranglers, one with Momo's and one with DB's) the DB's sound good, natural just like the Momo's but they lack the lower midbass of the Momo's and the high's aren't quite as "bright" as on the Momo's (part of that I attribute to a better tweeter on the Momo's but also part of if is the ability to aim the tweeters for more direct sound in the Momo's).

Both are great speakers, I got my Momo's for a song from Overtons when they had them on sale.

If you like very punchy midbass with warm mids and clean yet not overly bright highs then I would go with the Momo's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

One other thing to be prepared for, but I'm not sure what the story is with Sony on the 08's, is that the "MP3/iPod connector" is really just an auxiliary connection. It doesn't actually let you control the iPod menus, playlists, etc from any remote. The only control you get on the head unit is volume.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)