www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bilge Pump Location
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:13 pm 
Seahorse

According to 2005 Horizon 210 manual, the boat has automatic bilge pump. The manual states that the pump will turn on automatically if the water level is above the float, regardless of the position of battery switch or dashboard switch until the batteries are exhausted or water is removed. The boat is not available at the moment so I am unable to search for the pump. Does anybody have a picture of it or general location where to look? I know it's going to be low in the bilge but it wasn't something that caught my eye so far. I would like to test it and possibly add another pump. I would like to add another just in case automatic pump and not worry about removing the drain plug again.

Post subject: Re: Bilge Pump Location
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:13 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Directly under the engine screwed to the hull on a piece of wood that's fiberglassed in.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 pm 

Its directly below the center portion of oil pan on small platform as ric described. Yes, you need to test and make sure it works and clear of debris.

You will still need to remove plug once out of water to evacuate all water. I use simple green to keep bilge clean and test mine several times a year. The pump is raised a little to keep it from picking up all debris at very bottom. If it goes out on that model, which is like mine, you will need Jack Daniels and a massage therapist to replace it.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:21 pm 
Starfish

Having a '05 H210, there will be a round pump and a square float box. It'll only go on automatically if there is 2" of water in there, per the owners manual and by my verification. I intend on changing it out to a higher GPH. Getting to it won't be a hassle compared to getting to the hose where it meets the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm 
Seahorse

Thank you all. As usual, everyone here provides invaluable information.

I have yet to find any debris in my hull so far, probably because the boat is always stored in a garage. Anybody knows where the hose is exiting the hull? This may be something I will postpone assuming it ends up being as difficult as everyone is describing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:52 pm 
Starfish

Mine is corner starboard aft side.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 pm 
Dolphin

I just replaced my bilge pump, so I'll describe my experience in case it helps others.

My boat is a 2004 H230, but from reading here it sounds like most of the Four Winns are very similar in this regard.

Facing aft and looking straight down the front of the engine compartment, I have a well where there is always a little water. Just aft of that is a mostly white rectangular box with 2 gray wires. That's the float switch.

In this picture, you can see the float switch under the nose of the engine. It has blue writing on the top.

Just aft of the float switch is a small cylinder (a little smaller than a 12-oz drink can) with a red top, white middle, and blue bottom. It has a brown and a black wire. That's the pump.

The base of the pump is screwed into the boat, and the main body of the pump is clipped into place on that, so the trick is to squeeze the clips and pull the pump out without damaging the base. Once it's free of the base, you can work it over to the starboard side of the engine where you can get at the hose clamp holding the drain line in place. Once it's out, you can take the pump to the marine store and probably find one that uses the same base, making the job much easier, since unscrewing the base under the engine would be tough! I was able to find the identical pump at West Marine for about $30.

My float switch looked a little dirty, so I pulled it out. A little stretching with a long philips was needed, but it's only 2 small screws. There was enough crud in there that I'm glad I pulled it out. As an aside, it looks like any dirt that ends up in the ski locker gets washed back to the bilge area, and can get to the switch and pump, so it's worth NOT putting dirty stuff down there.

The wiring was tie-wrapped into a bundle and fastened to the boat with 2 screws just below the starboard corner of the engine. All 4 wires from the float switch and pump came together into one 4-pin connector that was easy to disconnect (squeeze the sides and pull apart). However, I didn't have the right pin-extractor or replacement pins to swap in the new pump, which came with just the wire (no connectors). So, I spliced the new wires to the old with a soldered joint.

The toughest part of reassembly for me was tie-wrapping the wires back together because it really needed two hands and I could only get one down there. Be careful to not overtighten the hose clamp or overstress the plastic nipple it goes over--my old pump was cracked there, and while researching the job on this board I read other stories of cracked nipples.

If you disconnect the wiring first (at the 4-pin connector), you probably can get by without disconnecting the battery, but it is never a bad idea to pull the cables off of one side of the battery when working in the engine bay since there are a few "always hot" wires in there and if you slip and short something out it could turn a small job into a big one real fast.

Take your time being careful to not drop parts. If they roll back under the engine, you'd better hope that Helen Parr (aka Elastagirl) lives down the street...

When you're done, you can test the helm switch and hear the pump humm, and then "just add water" to test the float switch (drain plug in if you're out of the water). It takes more water than you might expect to activate the float switch. Using actual water is important so you can make sure the hose is well attached and not leaking. If all is well, you'll see:

Good luck!

Rich

Last edited by RichA on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:07 am 

Great Post, thanks Rich!

Mark
Melbourne
Australia

Boats:
Current: 2004 FW 190
2001 Mastercraft X5
1998 Malibu Response
1999 Sea Ray 180
17 ft Scimitar Barefoot (200hp Yamaha)
16ft Scimitar Ski (Yamaha 115)
1988 Ski Nautique ( Called Ski Antique)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:56 am 

WOW, your Urologist must be happy with that. :D

Thanks for the post. What size replacement pump did you put in?

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:05 am 
Dolphin

rpengr wrote:
...What size replacement pump did you put in?

I did a direct replacement of the stock 500gph pump. I've read several recommendations to upgrade the pump here, and there appeared to be an 1,100gph version that might fit the same base, but my store was out of that model.

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:42 pm 

I don't get these boat companies.
They build a bowrider, most of which are not even self bailing and then they put in a pitiful 500 gph bilge pump. For the price they charge for these boats they should be ashamed. That pump is for rain water. Any on the water emergency, failed bellows, failed cooling hose, wave over the bow:
TWO 1100 gph pumps is what you need!!!

If you ever take a big wave over the bow, or have a cooling hose fail or even just pop off (as I did) you'll understand what I'm talking about in about 3 seconds. If the hose from the raw water pump to the thermo housing fails or pops off it will fill the bilge with water in less than 5 min. I mean water up to the pulleys, in the starter, etc. Would you rather have a pumping capacity of 2200 gph or 500 then?
If you don't want to add another pump just yet, as an emergency pump, put this together:
Rule 2000 gph pump, large alligator clips on the wiring and a 4 foot long bilge pump hose. If you have an emergency, you hook this up to one batt with the alligator clips (big ones) and hang the hose over side, drop the pump down in the bilge. It will very quickly pump it out.

BTW sorry to keep repeating this story, but go around and make sure every cooling hose clamp is tight. They loosen over time. Get a small box end wrench that fits the hex on the screw clamp. You can get it tighter that way than you can with a screwdriver.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:11 pm 
Dolphin

LouC wrote:
...TWO 1100 gph pumps is what you need!!!

I'm too new at this to be ready to cut holes in the side of the boat. :shock: Does an 1100GPH need a bigger hose/hole? I wouldn't want to burn out the pump from too much back pressure. Clearly a second pump would need an additional hole and hose.

Your advice seems sound. For now I plan to work hard to avoid those big waves and put the increased pumping on the planned mods list.

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 pm 

Waves over the bow are a very scary situation indeed! I took two while lobster hunting once and I will never forget how I felt seeing all that water in the ski locker and the engine compartment. I also keep a home depot red bucket in the bow because I really could've used one that day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:31 am 

Jafo4U wrote:
Waves over the bow are a very scary situation indeed! I took two while lobster hunting once and I will never forget how I felt seeing all that water in the ski locker and the engine compartment. I also keep a home depot red bucket in the bow because I really could've used one that day.

It is a legal requirement in Australia to have a bailing bucket on board!! I have been stopped by the water police and they check for it, as well as for a waterproof floating torch, distress flares, anchor, life jackets etc. If you don't have it you get a fine and demerit points off your drivers licence (Car and Boat licence are linked!).

I have also been breath tested on the boat by them, and you cant outrun them as they are on high powered 3 seater jet skis.... ah well keeps it safe for everyone.

Mark
Melbourne
Australia

Boats:
Current: 2004 FW 190
2001 Mastercraft X5
1998 Malibu Response
1999 Sea Ray 180
17 ft Scimitar Barefoot (200hp Yamaha)
16ft Scimitar Ski (Yamaha 115)
1988 Ski Nautique ( Called Ski Antique)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:04 am 

meinmelb wrote:
you cant outrun them as they are on high powered 3 seater jet skis...

If you have more than 1/2 tank of gas, their SeaDoo's will eventually fail & you're in the clear... :P :roll: