www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor Size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 pm 
Starfish

Hi Guys,
On my 2007 H210SS I just got a new anchor to fit in the front anchor locker.
The problem I have is that the dealership's salesmen sold me the wrong size, it's to big.
It's a number 13, should it be a 11 or a 12.

Post subject: Re: Anchor Size
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:45 pm 
Tadpole

Hello
Anchors a very good topic. First if it is too big to fit in the locker you may as well take it back and get one that will fit other wise it will get stored somewhere it will be hard to get out. Most people only carry an anchor because they have to. I have found out that the most important part is the anchor chain. The rule of thumb is one foot of chain for ervey foot of boat. This allows the bow to go up and down and lift the chain but the anchor stays lodged into the bottom. There are some good web sites that address the anchor issues and you will probably be blown away with how much rope should be let out and the rest of the calculations for anchoring. All I can tell you is I have a 21 foot boat with about 23 feet of chain and it does not move when I anchor it, Even with the idiots coming in close with large wakes. Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 pm 
230 Mike

Depends on the boat, the lake, and the bottom conditions. I have zero chain on my anchor, use almost no scope, and have never had a problem with it setting or releasing.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:39 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Agree with Mike.

I have about 25' of chain plus about 150' of line on my FS214 . I do a lot of ocean anchoring for diving and kind of want to make sure my boat is still there when I come back up....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:54 pm 

I think the typical scope is 7:1, but most people go with ~5:1. I have 3 anchors on board, 2 8 lb fluke style and 1 13lb fluke style. My primary anchor is one of the 8lb with 15' chain and somewhere on the order of 150-200' of rode. I use the other 8lb anchor with no chain and around 100' of rode as a stern anchor. I don't use the 13lb one much and is more of a back up or if it's windy and need a second anchor off the bow. You can't go wrong with a couple sets of anchors properly setup for your boat, lake, bottom conditions. In my opinion a proper anchor setup is something you don't want to skimp on. Even mine is on the lighter side for chain/rode, but I always figure I can shackle some chain and more rode together if I need it. It's no fun with a dead engine or other mech failure and your anchor can't hold you from drifting.

West marine has some good info on anchoring http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/Anchoring-Techniques.htm

Edit: I forgot a couple of items....for your shackles, go up 1 size from your chain as a rule of thumb. Also, use some zip ties for your shackle pins so you don't lose them in the lake. I actually zip tie my anchor directly to my chain and my chain direct to my rode too. Not sure if it will hold, but it's piece of mind that if I lose a shackle that I have a slim chance to recover my anchor. Of course that brings up the topic of having a recover line (not sure if that's the correct terminology) to pull up your anchor if it gets stuck too much. And finally, if you anchor in an area where people may drive across your anchor/rode, it doesn't hurt to have some marker buoys. I do this and still have almost had my anchor rode cut by some yahoo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:16 pm 
Starfish

Thanks for the help.
I just picked up longer chain from the Bass Pro Shop today.
And was shocked on how much rope I really need.
I have to anchors,1 for the front and one for the back. Never thought of getting a anchor line marker, great idea.
One thing that I have noticed when I park my boat at the beach with many other boats, is how close they bring the anchors to shore and I'm always afraid of the kids stepping on them or tripping. I guess it's my pet peeve. Hate to see the little one having to go to the hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:23 am 

You can read everything ever writen about rode, chain and anchor size, but remember they are guides. I would NEVER need 25' of chain even if I waited out a hurricane on my local lake. I boat on a silt bottom 40 foot deep max and I anchor up in about 20 feet as a norm. So I have a 2 -14lbs danforth anchors both with about 4" of chain on 100' of line. I also carrier a third 9lbs just incase the guy tied next to me doesnt have a rear anchor and we start to swing. On the cruiser I have 12' of chain and a 25lbs danforth on 300 foot of line. I guess i'm saying talk to poeple that boat where you boat to find out what works for them before you spend a boat payment on chain that "the book" says you HAVE to have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:16 pm 
Nauti Luv

I boat in the same conditions as TxJole pretty much. Same anchor and mine is only on 50 feet of rope with about 3 feet of chain. For me, this works on my lake and I am typically anchored in 20 feet of water...no issues. I probably "should" have 100 feet on my boat, but I just just havent had the need for it.....yet.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:23 am 
Tadpole

Need to know max anchor size to fit In funship 214 03' front anchor locker. I've heard 12lbs but the shank size on the one I'm looking at is 25.5" and I think it's too long to fit. I can't measure because I'm currently in FL and my boats in IN. Achors are cheap down here and I want to buy one. How deep is the anchor locker on the 214 gunships.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:37 am 

A 12 pits perfect in my HORIZON yes i know different model but still tossing it out.

Jdpber wrote:
Loving my anchor upgrade

i regularly have my bow anchor in 75 plus feet of water in the cove and the stern is in 2 feet backed up to the sand bar. crazy fast and deep drop offs in my lake. with steep sides and you need the chain to keep the shank flat to the ground this drives the FLUKE into the earth at the proper angle for best hold. The chain keeps the SHANK down... I thought i had enough chain before but i constantly pulled last season. SO i have made a big upgrade for this season. And i know that it will be plenty..

I know guys that anchor with a concrete block and that works for them.. BUT the thing with anchor and line. I WOULD RATHER HAVE TOO MUCH, than not have it when i need it in an emergency.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 am 

EvilZ wrote:
Agree with Mike.

I have about 25' of chain plus about 150' of line on my FS214 . I do a lot of ocean anchoring for diving and kind of want to make sure my boat is still there when I come back up....

Yep!