www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:41 am 
Minnow

Just bought my first boat--a 2006 Four Winns Horizon 200. 5.0L Volvo Penta. Will be using it in Michigan on Lake St. Clair and in northern Michigan on Walloon Lake and Mullett Lake.

On my first and second times out over the weekend, while cruising at about 20mph, we lost some power. It appeared to me that the outdrive had trimmed into the "up" (or partially "up") position on its own. I do not believe this was caused by inadvertent toggling of the trim switch by a hand on the throttle.

We took it down to neutral and trimmed it back down with no problem, although the trim gauge, once it hit the double line at the bottom position, bounced into the "up" position, even though the outdrive was down, and stayed there (I've heard this is standard on these gauges?). On the sea trial a few weeks ago, there were no problems with the trim.

This happened once each day. Who has experienced this, and any insight on whether I need to be concerned or whether I need to take immediate action to prevent more trouble?

Thanks.

Last edited by Spartan86 on Mon May 04, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:07 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have never had it move completely on its own except for "down" when the trim pump starts failing. I have an 07 and occasionally while anchored my daughter has bumped the throttle and the trim button has gotten stuck requiring me to go over and nudge it free. I have considered taking my throttle apart to clean everything.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:15 am 
Shark

I had an issue with my trim gauge last summer. It would at times move slightly up by its self when cruising, it was just the gauge though. The lower unit was not moving. When I would actually move the trim up or down with the switch, it would then gauge bounce all over the place. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the trim pump or something on the trim pump. If the trim is not moving on its own and its just the gauge malfunctioning, it may not be that big of deal to some people. My boat is under warranty so I take it in for any issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:29 am 
email admin your custom rank

the sensor are for the trim indicator that signals the gauge. These indicator arms are notorious for getting stuck. Make sure that your drive itself was moving.. was this power loss in a turn (cavitation) which is easy at only 20mph? or was it in a straight line? you could have a sticky trim switch and it may need some green spray electrical anti corrosion electrical spray to free up the gum in the switch body..

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11