www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:04 pm 
Guppy

Hi guys,
I managed to strip the female thread of the bearing cover for the drivetrain oil dipstick today while prepping the boat for the season. I looked online and the replacement part is ~300$... I still don't understand why the female thread is aluminum vs. the stainless steel dipstick, sounds backwards to me.

My boat is a 2005 200 horizon with a volvo penta 5.0 V8 gxi. The replacement part is #19 bearing cover part#: 3854401

Anyway, anybody have any luck with using a helicoil? If so what size? Any recommendations as to how to proceed?

I'll be reaching out to my marina mechanic tomorrow to see what he says.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:57 am 
email admin your custom rank

I'd go and post this on the Volvo I/O forum over at the iboats forums, I bet someone has done this before....
I have heard of this happening on some of these, maybe the grade of aluminum they used was too soft or they should have installed a helicoil or similar in the first place. I know that on my OMC Cobra, there are inserts installed in various areas to keep that from happening.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:04 am 
email admin your custom rank

been there, done that. Helicoil works as good OR better as having a new top cover. Also makes it harder to strip it again. I took my cover off and took it to a shop, they put the helicoil in there for me for 20 bucks. Its probably not hard to do this yourself, but I did not want to buy an entire kit and tools. Keep in mind, the dipstick only goes in at VERY LOW torque (hindsight 20/20 right?) It is measured in inch/lbs. I can't remember the torque 10 in/lbs maybe? Be careful not to lose the shims when you take the top cover off-- not necessarily easy to lose, but if you will be taking it to a shop, keep track of them and make sure they all get put back... also when you bolt top cover back on, use even pressure on all bolts applied a little at a time similar to how you put lug nuts back on...

If you go the other route and buy a NEW top cover... keep in mind it will probably need to be re-shimmed. The shims were measured for your existing top cover and there are slight differences from cover to cover.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:25 pm 
Guppy

I ended up bringing it in to my marina mechanic. He put a helicoil in there for 30$ and it is good to go.

Thanks for all the help!