www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need info plz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:25 pm 
Goldfish

Okay trying to get my 190 running right at top end. Have a 302 engine with 2 bbl carb, new engine, new mech fuel pump,new hei dizzy, new coil,rebuilt Holley. But I still have bogging at wot. I am seeing top speeds of 40 mph. after letting off to lets say 80 percent throttle to get out of bogging issue. Aftermarket prop, also have what I think is a stock prop i may try out. Not sure what my rpms are as I just installed a working tach, will find out more tomorrow. Curious what others see at top speed.

Post subject: Re: Need info plz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:34 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Look under the fast facts for your year and model. http://www.fourwinns.com/customer-service-catalogs.aspx

This will tell you prop size, rpm, speed, fuel burn for your model/engine combo.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:03 am 

on1wheel01 wrote:
Okay trying to get my 190 running right at top end. Have a 302 engine with 2 bbl carb, new engine, new mech fuel pump,new hei dizzy, new coil,rebuilt Holley. But I still have bogging at wot. I am seeing top speeds of 40 mph. after letting off to lets say 80 percent throttle to get out of bogging issue. Aftermarket prop, also have what I think is a stock prop i may try out. Not sure what my rpms are as I just installed a working tach, will find out more tomorrow. Curious what others see at top speed.

This sounds like inadequate fuel flow at WOT. Where did the rebuilt Holley come from? It is a marine carb right?

If this is not the original carburetor, maybe the high speed jets are too small. Consider trying high speed jets that are a couple thousandths bigger in orifice diameter.

If it is the original, maybe there is a clogged passageway, such as a piece of an old gasket that got inside a passageway somewhere. Wrong adjustment on float valve (inside carb) could be issue.

Could also be timing, but when you said it runs good at 80 percent throttle, and bogs above that...that sound like carb/fuel issue to me.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:26 am 
Goldfish

Took it out today my bogging issue remains. I just don't get it. This is the carb that was on it. But since the engine blew the day I got it who knows if it's still screwed up somehow. I'm tempted to just throw down credit card and order a 4 bbl intake and carb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:12 pm 
230 Mike

Check for a rubber fuel line sucking shut at WOT. BTDT.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:11 pm 
Goldfish

Hmm. Never thought of that. Only rubber line is from tank to the water gas filter. Well it was until yesterday when I got rid of the metal line from fuel pump to carb as it was leaking. So now it's rubber hose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:51 pm 

Have you checked the fuel filters, including the metal gauze one just before the fuel bowl?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:17 pm 
Goldfish

Metal one right at carb looks good. Fuel water sep is right at new. I know of no other filters unless one in the tank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 pm 
Goldfish

Read somewhere a anti siphon valve In the tank could maybe cause issues being clogged with crud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:51 pm 
Goldfish

Well took it out today. Actually is running pretty good . Though it won't Rev past 3k and I have read it should go to 4k or so, that's throttle all the way down 3k rpm. Fixed the tach i forgot to switch to v8. Bogged a little trying to take off. But figure maybe because it's not getting all the fuel it could? But drove around a bit. Then threw anchor yo swim. Spent half hour or so. When I got back in to start the engine wouldn't fire up. No fuel it seemed. So I removed the water fuel filter bypassed that completely and poured some of the fuel from the filter into the carb and she fired right up. Maybe bad filter even though it's right at new. Or could I be draining fuel back into the tank somehow