www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fuel troubles?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:29 pm 
Tadpole

i have a 1995 four winns with a 5.0 L ford v8 that sounds like its not getting fuel to turn over.

i had it on the lake saturday for a couple of hours and it ran great. we stopped and anchored for a bit and tried to start up the engine but i had no power at the captains chair. i pushed all the 4 of the engine circuit breakers and got power up and the engine started right up, i left it in neutral for a few mins and all of a sudden died like it ran out of gas. (the tank is full)

since then i have gone over all the electrical that i possibly could get my hands on to make sure all terminations are tight and clean. i have tested all breakers for voltage, i have tested the fuel relay, i also tested the fuel pressure ports (not with a gauge) the port in the middle of the engine squirts out fuel but the other port near the rear motor does not. not sure if that is the problem?

Post subject: Re: fuel troubles?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So the starter turns over but it will not run?

When was the last tune up? If you don't know, I would a look at the cap and rotor and see what kind of condition they are in. If they are starting to look green, time to swap them out. The reduced spark could have fouled the plugs as well and they should be changed as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:02 pm 

If your engine is the 5.0 EFI fuel injected model, check the fuse holder in the smaller electrical wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery and the ECM (computer) mounted on the right side of the engine. I had a bad fuse on my '95 190 Horizon after 15 years or so. Its a larger glass tube fuse with the metal end caps. The end caps had come "un-soldered" inside the fuse and lost electrical continuity, killing the engine. The fuse holder is an in-line rubber tube almost an inch in diameter with a wire retainer to hold it together. Its inboard of the battery and near the right rear corner of the engine. I'm not sure this is it, but it is worth having a look. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:14 pm 
Shark

Definately does not sound like a fuel problem, and the way you talk about fuel pressure ports leads me to believe you have EFI. If you have EFI and have not pulled the battery connections off you could have a stored engine code in the ECU. Any Ford OBDI automotive type scan tool can pull the codes from the connector located on the starb front side of the engine.

The fuel port in the middle of the EFI engine is the fuel rail fuel pressure port, not certain but the rear may be for the high pressure fuel pump which would only be under pressure with engine running.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:13 pm 
Tadpole

yes i have pulled the battery so the codes are probably long gone and yes its a EFI engine. i checked the in line fuse in the smaller cable off the +terminal and i have continuity. i just performed a fuel pressure test and it was only at 10 psi. i have read it needs to be around 39 psi + or - 3. however i can hear the pumps energizing for a second or two when i turn the key. i feel like i have a bad fuel pump??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:01 am 
Shark

The low pressure pump kicks in (pushes fuel to the high pressure pump and resevoir) for about 3 seconds when you turn the key, then will shut off if you don't start the engine. Should have 39lbs of pressure with the engine running and vac line off of the fuel pressure regulator (if you leave the line on should be within a few pounds), if you don't it sounds like the high pressure fuel pump has went out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:42 am 

sure you didn't get any water in the tank? this happened to me once with a loose gas cap...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 pm 
Tadpole

i removed and emptied the fuel water separator and poured new gas in it. also removed the gas line from the tank and dropped the line in a 2 gallon gas can with new gas and still nothing (siphon valve is not on the hose). i then emptied the fuel water separator and placed it back and cranked it again. i was hoping to see the separator full of gas but it was not. during this time i had the fuel pressure gauge connected with little to no pressure. do you think both pumps are bad?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 pm 
Shark

Does the low pressure pump come on when the key is turned to on and not cranking?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:14 pm 
Tadpole

it sounds like it turns on but does not feel like it.. when i put my hand around the hi pressure pump i can feel it turn on. i can not with the low. would anyone know if both pumps would feel the same?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm 
Shark

Should be about the same. The low pressure pump is the one nearest the fuel seperator and the high pressure pump is located on the rear top of the engine. If you can't fill the fuel sep filter that would be a possible low pressure pump.