www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:30 am 
Minnow

I am going to order a new H200 and I'm not sure if I should order it with a single or tandem axle trailer. Any info would be helpful. I will be towing with a Honda Ridgeline. Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays to All.

Post subject: Re: Trailer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:31 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have a H180 so I can't comment on the H200, but I do have some second hand info.

My brother bought a H200 last season with the single axle trailer. He is pulling it with an extended cab GMC, and thinks it pulls well with the single. The FW was a downsize slightly for him, from a 21ft Thundercraft cuddy, which was also on a single axle. He pulled that combo for 15 years without a problem either. I think that for a boat in the weight range we are talking about, a single axle will do the trick just fine.

There are a few H200 owners here on the forum, so some first hand info should come your way soon.

Cheers

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:17 pm 

I would recommend for tandem axle (with brakes) trailer for anything over 3000 -3500 lb. H200 will be close to 3900lb when you put fuel, water and gears so you are on the threshold. Tandem axle trailer will provides more stable and smoother ride especially for braking. Also the extra axle affords extra security in the event of a blowout. Some people might argue that single axle will get better mileage and easier to back –up. I have towing trailers (cars) for a lot longer than boating. (20 years) and I personally feel the extra cost for tandem trailer is well worth for safety benefit. I have a few experiences with blowout and it can be very scary. On top of scary blowout, I had to change tire on side of highway and if I had a tandem trailer at least I can limp to the safer area.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:28 pm 
230 Mike

Tandem.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:57 pm 
Villiage Idiot

I've had both single and tandem. I recommend tandem for the reasons stated above. I think it tracks much better than either of my singles did. I noticed no difference when backing. As they implied, 3000lbs is about all you would want to do with a single axle.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:55 pm 
All Night Long

If you plan trailering back and forth just a couple miles to the launch on the weekends - single axle will be more than sufficient. If you plan on regularly trailering longer distances (freeways, highways, etc) where the added stability of a tandem will be beneficial - then go that route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:54 pm 

+1 to cougarcruiser. If you will potentially pull it more than a few miles, then get the tandem. If you are never going anywhere else, then get the single.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:16 am 

I definitely agree with most of the comments. I have a tandem for my H190 with 4 wheel brakes. Tows perfectly and stops great. I think when you look at the load ratings of the tires on a single axle trailer you are getting just a little too close for comfort and are inviting blowouts etc. With a tandem you are doing it easy - IMHO well worth the extra bucks for the safety and comfort margin! :D

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:11 pm 
Shark

Hey guys. I'm new here. I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and I wanted to say thanks for bringing this up. I have on order a 2008 H200SS, and I ordered it with the single axle trailer, and have been wondering about my decision ever since. I've just contacted my dealer to see if I can change that part of my order to a tandem trailer. I want the single because I have a tight spot (90 degree driveway-into-garage turn) I have to back into, but I think the other things, certainly the safety aspect, outweigh the ease of backing up. How much harder can it be to back a tandem?

My boat goes online on Jan 14, do you think I'll have any trouble changing the order from single axle to tandem?

Great forum.

2004 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:54 pm 
All Night Long

With a couple weeks notice, probably not too bad... you are adding rather than removing.

Although --- I agree with most posts about the weight distribution of a tandem being better, I have to say that Four Winns offers the option for a reason.

If you are going to tow long distances, with the boat fully loaded of both gas and equipment - the tandem is the way to go.

IF you're a short run to the local launch or you need in and out of tight spaces -- then the tandem is really overkill.

It may or may not help resale... Four Winns wouldn't offer it as an option if it was going to put the safety of the boat in jeopardy. Sometimes the added weight of the tandem trailer can cause the tow vehicle to struggle a bit more as well...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:56 pm 

I don't know that you'll have trouble changing it, so long as you are OK with any delays it may cause in your receiving it. As for the backing, I've backed both and can't say that tandem is more difficult. I've actually noticed no difference between the two, but that might because they were two different boats with much different lengths.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:18 pm 
Shark

Cool. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, or if they'll let me do anything at all. I don't mind a delay in the boat's delivery, since I don't need it until AT LEAST May 1...

My tow vehicle isn't overkill by any means, but I think it will do the job properly. It has a 5000 tow rating, and the boat should weigh less than that, even once fully loaded.

I'll post what they tell me, in case anyone cares.

Does anyone on here have any advice that relates to the SS boats specifically, other than to keep the exhaust loud at all times(!) ? It's our first boat, and we plan to trailer it a lot.

Thanks in advance.

2004 Toyota 4Runner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:19 pm 

Well, I had a really long post typed that I somehow lost so here is a summary.

My local four Winns dealer has this chart on their site to show you what your vehicle can pull.
http://admin.pagelite.ca/ocadmin/download.php?itemID=1140

Here's my opinion from past experience:

Basically if you are only going to pull your boat back and forth to the lake and you need to maneuver tightly then go with a single axle. But.. buy the disc brake option, they work better and are easier to service. This assumes you have a big enough vehicle to pull the rated load. I have pulled my H200 two hours away with no problems on a single axle trailer.

If the combined load is over 6,000 lbs then go for the tandem or if you are a little light on the tow rating with your vehicle. Buy the disc brakes on both axles. But you need extra room to maneuver a tandem. You can't just jack-knife the trailer to get them pointed where you want because you will screw up the alignment on the front axle.

I know you will never know all the spots you may go but I would think you will develop some favorites that suit your application really quick. I have several ramps around here that I won't go to again.

Be sure and buy a spare tire, good quality low profile hydraulic jack and a 24" or 36" breaker bar with the appropriate size socket to remove the lug nuts. I also carry a couple of pieces of 2 x 8 and 4 x 4 for jack support and to prevent the trailer from rolling backwards. Also remember that a tandem has four tires to replace when it comes time and you get more drag so they are a little harder to get moving (more fuel?).

Good luck and I hope you make a good informed decison.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:54 pm 
Villiage Idiot

Just my 2 cents....
I cut a hard 90 deg turn down an 8 foot driveway to put my boat in it's home nearly every weekend. The first time I brought the new boat home, with tandem axles, it hit the spot just right! I did try backing my new one a few times before taking it home, and didn't notice any difference. Keep in mind, all my tow vehicles have had a very short wheel base.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:02 am 
The Bug Doctor

:D We have the single axle w/disc brakes for our 200SS. It works fine in our area. We have three major lakes in our county and they are all less than 30 miles from the house!

Never have had a trailering problem!

2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat

http://www.seabrook-services.com