www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:09 pm 
Guppy

Hi all, new to the forum and to the boat-buying process.

I've found a 2005 H210, mechanically in fantastic condition. Cushions and paint are pretty faded, but seems like something I can restore with a little elbow grease. My only major concern is the aft floor just in front of the rear seating, which flexes when I walk on it. Doesn't feel spongy or look problematic, so I wonder if it's some compression or settling and not rot in the subfloor or stringers. Prior owner had a cover on the boat, but the dealer told me it was pretty shredded by the time the boat got to them so clearly it has spent some time outside.

Has anyone seen this? Is there wood in the hull of this model? Didn't find confirmation in prior posts about that. Hoping this is indicative of sub-optimal floor support design choices and not a major repair waiting to happen. :? I've made an offer ($11,500) which they've accepted but I have not yet put down the deposit.

thanks for your thoughts,
jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I cannot speak specifically about the floor structure of a 2005 model.

In general, any softness in the floor is indicative of rotten floor structure or stringers underneath, with one exception: The area of the floor over the fuel tank is a thick fiberglass panel with no reinforcement underneath, so a little flex in this cover is normal. It should be easy to identify the area of this cover over the fuel tank, because there is a caulked seam around this panel. Anything flexing outside that area may be bad news.

For a 2005 to have faded interior would mean that it had gone long periods of time without being properly covered, so I would think that some floor rot could be a possibility. A proper pre-purchase survey would be well worth your money.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:36 pm 
Guppy

Thanks, Ray. I think that *is* over the fuel tank based on my untrained eye and looking at pics online but can't be sure.

Anyone know exactly where the fuel tank is located on the '05 H210?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:32 am 

Was the carpet installed during your inspection?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 am 
Guppy

No carpet. Is that good or bad? Think the prior owner had taken it out, but the snaps are still there.

I think i've determined by looking at other threads that this area is in fact over the fuel tank, so maybe less cause for worry. I'm going to do a sea trial next week, so let me know if there's anything i should be doing to verify this spot in particular, or any other tips you all have for having a really informative trial.

thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:37 pm 

Carpet is disposable.. my 2008 looks to be same as 2005 models and the fuel tank is in between the rear of the floor locker and moter, which includes the area in center of boat and in front of rear bench seat....there is a small flip up door under center seat cushion in rear bench seat...this small door only accesses the sending unit of the tank.

The carpet is disposable and replaceable....the backing on the factory carpet is crap and gives up the ghost pretty quick. I wouldn't worry about carpet being tossed as I'm about to toss mine after I trace for template to get some recur at upholstery shop. You can research that model, but mine has no wood in stringers either...I would assume they're the same.

The issues with these include the failed fuel electronic fuel pumps that came out with interior coating that can't handle ethanol. Designed by some engineering reject....if you hear a high pitched whine that's the cry of the wallet. Part alone ran me around 650 but install was easy enough.

Other issue is failed trim pump mounted on exterior of transom by drive. If you see evidence that it's bleeding, then it's dying. Mine hasn't failed but others have. Other fail is the steering ram seals, which will leak power steering fluid. I occasionally have some in the bilger, but I just refill when it pukes and clean up the bilge. Usually happens while boat stored for some reason...only leaks during off season and is puzzeling..my solution was to not worry about it.

All models have some quirks but these were the main repeat issues on this model for what it's worth. My Ram truck radio sucks too!

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm 

The fuel tank cover on my Horizon 240 is shown in this picture, from when I had all the back seats out. The fiberglass cover runs from just in front of the engine well, forward almost all the way to the ski locker. The width is about the same width as the spacing of the stringers that your engine mounts are attached to. You can see part of the cover in this picture, and the seam around it looks like bathtub caulk. The round cover in middle is an access hatch above the fuel tank sending unit. (this would normally be hidden under my rear seat). As we said before, "springy" flex in this cover is not an issue at all.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:12 pm 
230 Mike

There was a bit of flex in my floor even when the boat was brand-new. A little more or less depending on a person's weight of course. Mine flexes. :roll:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:48 am 

It may be normal for that model.
Keep in mind though even if there is no wood in that area you can still have de lamination if water gets in and freezes. Check the seat mounts carefully they should not flex.
When I replaced the deck in mine almost 10 years ago I built it quite a bit better than factory esp the bracing around the gas tank mounts and the cover itself. So it does not flex at all.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:45 pm 

There's just a minimal flex on the fuel tank cover....same with the ski locker lid. If ya want to see flex go walk around a Tahoe, its like a trampolime-

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:41 pm 

Very true I walked around on one at a boat show a few years back and it was a flexy piece of junk!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:57 pm 
Seahorse

I had the same proble on my 03 H210. i removed the section of deck over the fuel tank and discovered a crack not visible from the top, but certainly visible from the underside. I cleaned it, rough snaded the area about 3 inches on each side of the crack and fibergalssed it using cloth and resin. It wasnt a difficult repair, and I just followed the West instructions and it has worked very well. I think the crack was caused by kids jumpng in the boat from the sunpad/swim platform after a swim.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:11 pm 
Starfish

Have a '05 210, no flexing here in the aft cockpit, but do have creaking forward of the ski locker when walking over it, no cracks seen though. Fuel tank between rearmost ski locker wall and just forward of the engine, depending on seating arrangement, might be able to be seen in the engine compartment.