www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First spring startup
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:37 am 
Sting Ray

Later this month I'll be waking up my one-year-old H180 from its first-ever winter nap. It has been in unheated indoor storage.

I'm guessing most of the attention will really be paid to the outboard, but is there anything I should be inspecting, tightening, etc. at the helm? Should I go around the boat and make sure all the cockpit cover snaps are snug, hinge screws, etc.? I don't want to tinker unnecessarily, but want to get ahead of any loose connections before we're on the water.

I trailer the boat less than 500 feet so I'm not too worried about the trailer. I guess I'll check the lug nuts on the wheels. Does the trailer coupler latch need to be lubed?

Of course, I'll give the battery a full charge before anything else.

Post subject: Re: First spring startup
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:48 am 
email admin your custom rank

Did you winterize it or have a shop do it?
I'd make sure all the water hose clamps are tight since these are usually removed when winterizing to drain the engine & impeller housing. Also make sure all the drain plugs were reinstalled. Then check to see if the engine belts are tight. Check the fluid levels (engine, drive, tilt n trim, and power steering). When I run the engine on the hose I check for leaks, loose hoses, etc. I also hook up a digital engine analyzer and check the charging voltage and idle speed. Since I have an old school engine I'm also checking the dwell angle (points ignition) and engine timing. After the first run on the hose I will pull out the spark plugs and if they look fouled, replace them. If it needs new points I'll do that too and clean the flame arrestor. Last part of the tune up I change the big fuel filter.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:52 am 
Sting Ray

Thanks Lou. A lot of what you wrote applies to an I/O. As stated in my post, I have an outboard. It's an ETEC so it does the self-winterizing. And yes, I performed the winterization procedure and also changed the gearcase oil, using new washers to reinstall the gearcase drain plugs.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:59 pm 

Sorry did not read sig!
Lucky you with the OB much less work. If it were me I'd get a shop manual and see what they say you need to do. I have the original OMC manuals for my old Cobra and they are very good. Just guessing yes lower unit oil, new fuel filter, check 2 stroke oil in the tank, check battery charging voltsge with the engine running, give nuts n bolts on the transom mount a spray with anti corrosion spray. Make sure engine shifts easily int fwd and rev while running on the water hose and check the pee stream also. Should be fine because it's still new...

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:28 pm 

About the trailer, I would jack it up, spin wheels make sure the bearings run smooth and do not have any more than the slightest play. Does the trailer have brakes? Make sure they do not drag if so. If they are disc brakes I'd make sure that the reverse solenoid works so you can back up. Test the lights etc.
If you have the Tie Down super lube style hubs, I like to check them at the end of the season for water by removing the rubber plug and greasing the bearings till the old grease comes out of the hole in the metal hub cover. That way you can see if the grease is clean, or milky. Its probably fine because its new but still good to check. I have had these for a long time and they work very well. I have not had to take the bearings apart since I installed the new axle in 2004.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:30 pm 
Sting Ray

Well, last weekend I decided to just hook up the hose to flushing port on my ETEC and start it up. First turn of the key as if it we never left it 10 months prior! The boat survived its first winter and lived to tell about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:43 pm 

Good to hear. All these new age engines need is clean gas and a strong battery. Not tinkering and finessing as we do on the old ones lol.
I actually would like an Etec on my next boat. I always liked 2 strokes and to me these are the best 2 strokes ever built.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:27 pm 

I am also jealous of of your etec.. They used to be the lower cost engine but now they are a premium. At least the 40hp ones I am looking for are much more...
The self winterization sounds cool but there really isn't much to winterizing an outboard. only took me about 15 minutes on my 40.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:18 pm 
Sting Ray

Here's a video of the whole winterization procedure: https://youtu.be/xH8iT2TQZb8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:51 pm 

CaptainADK wrote:
Later this month I'll be waking up my one-year-old H180 from its first-ever winter nap. It has been in unheated indoor storage.

I'm guessing most of the attention will really be paid to the outboard, but is there anything I should be inspecting, tightening, etc. at the helm? Should I go around the boat and make sure all the cockpit cover snaps are snug, hinge screws, etc.? I don't want to tinker unnecessarily, but want to get ahead of any loose connections before we're on the water.

I trailer the boat less than 500 feet so I'm not too worried about the trailer. I guess I'll check the lug nuts on the wheels. Does the trailer coupler latch need to be lubed?

Of course, I'll give the battery a full charge before anything else.

I'd pick up a service manual for the motor and follow all of the recommended maintenance to a T.

When you bought the boat, it should have came with a manual for the trailer with maintenance recommendations in there as well. Same for the boat and all of the things non-engine related.

Where in the 'dacks are you? I'm a little north of Great Sacandaga Lake.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:13 pm 
Shark

Wow 2:12 and the winterization is done. That's about 2 hours and 12 minutes for my 1997 Evinrude 150HP. I'd have tools and equipment all over the deck, thay guy never left the helm or put on a workglove :shock:

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:54 am 

CaptainADK wrote:
Here's a video of the whole winterization procedure: https://youtu.be/xH8iT2TQZb8

Amazing.