www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 pm 
Tadpole

First of all i'm new here,new to boating,and especially new to what i'm facing. I was recently given a 19ft long 1993 190 Horizon with the 5.0. I knew going into this that I would be facing a mound of problems that i'd have no clue on how to fix (that's how I found this site btw) I knew that the block was cracked beyond repair,i'd have to replace/rebuild a lot of the interior,but hey..the boat was free right? Here comes the questions..First off the drive is an OEM Cobra. Ive read where they went out of and all that kinda stuff. So I buy a 5.0 block,strip it down and the block is perfect. The person I got the boat from is a really trustworthy man,and assures me that everything motor wise is great. Anyways,here comes the questions. I have built car motors here and there,but when it comes to even beginning on how to take this one out of this boat,I'm so lost that I feel like just burning it. So I guess i'm really asking for some opinions. I've read time after time that the omc cobra went out of business awhile ago,and while I have been around a few boats here and there, I know something will be tearing up on me sooner or later,so to me ,that sounds like the parts are either gonna be getting more and more expensive,even if I were to be lucky enough to find them. So after all of this reading (sorry about that) what do you all serious boat owners think about this? Instead of trying to find the info (and believe me,Ive gogled for hours) on how to even get this thing out,would I be better off by just parting it out? The more I've read,it seems to me that if I were able to part it out,i could almost go buy one that's running. I have everything that came off the 5.0 and another 5.0 block I was gonna use. The trailor is 21ft,and a single axel that just needs cleaning up. What kind of money do you guys think I could get by parting out the omc.the trailer,and anything else that I could sell? I guess i'm just a bit intimidated. Y'all give me some honest opions. If theres anything else someone would like to know about it,please just ask,and i'll do my best to get the answers for you, also.. if someone could just point me in the right direction as to where to look so I can at least pull this cracked block out of my freebie boat, I'd GREATLY APPRECIATE it, because I must not be googling the right words or something cause I can't even find the steps to go by to even start this project..

Last edited by greenman13 on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can find parts but the question is can you find the time and is it worth putting money into the boat. Take a look to see what comparable boats in running condition are going for using multiple sources (boattrader, craigslist, nada, ebay, etc). Then try to figure out what it will take (time & money) to get your boat into similar condition.

Even parting it out can be a pain. Might be better selling it "as-is".

If you have the time and the cost get it running is not prohibitive compared to similar boats, go for it.

But I do have a word of caution...here is what happened to my mom & stepdad:

GottWhat wrote:
Ha, my mom and stepdad found that out the hard way about 5 years ago. They bought a ~1987 Chris-Craft bowrider for about $3,500. They found the boat on craigslist after doing exactly zero research and only going by a well-known brand name my mom remembered from growing up in Michigan. They bought it from a young guy who "refurbished" the boat with his "master mechanic dad" after the boat was found in some guy's muddy yard. This "master mechanic dad" was also telling my mom and stepdad to never pay for ANY marine parts as they are all exactly the same as the auto parts (starter, alternator, etc).

The $3,500 boat soon became a $7,000 to $8,000 boat after the engine had to be replaced soon after buying it. They should have just cut their losses and moved on but whatever. Worst of all, it is a 4-cylinder. At least my stepdad listened to me when I told him it would be a good idea to remove the spray paint from the anodes after he painted the outdrive.

I bet they could get $2,000 for it now, even after all that money they dropped into it. Think about how much better of a boat they could have had if they would have just expanded their initial budget to $8,000?

I learned from their lesson and did my research when we were ready to buy our first boat (see the H180 link in my signature).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:01 pm 
Tadpole

I will surely look at those sites and see what I can find. Do you happen to know of any sites other than the usual ones,
that would give the used prices of the things I do have? or better yet, a site that shows me what part I'm looking at, when I'm trying to find a specific part? I've Google until Google just told me to give up Lol! and can't find any kind of online books for this thing.. I'm just VERY happy that at this point I don't have much in it at all.. and thank you for your reply...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:32 pm 

Engine/drive parts:
www.crowleymarine.com
look in the OMC parts section
There are places that sell aftermarket Sierra parts also for what you can't get OE....
The Cobra drives are good if you have a good mechanic and he can get the parts. I've had one for 14 years, few repairs actually. We did have a good ex-OMC tech set up the shift cable when we first got it. I learned how to do most of the jobs on these some years back.
I'd make sure the boat is structurally solid before you do any significant work though. Check the deck for rot, the transom, engine mount stringers etc. If you find a lot of rot, its a really big job to fix.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:05 pm 
230 Mike

IMO, the most expensive thing you can own is a "free boat."

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:05 pm 

When people ask me about buying cheap older boats I show them pix of my deck replacement from back in 2006/2007. That usually gets that idea out of their mind...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:41 am 
Tadpole

230 Mike wrote:
IMO, the most expensive thing you can own is a "free boat."

I am very much thinking the same thing..i'll go out there,look at it,then turn,and just walk off..i'm VERY much thinking about just parting it out..