www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:37 pm 
Minnow

Terrible wake, super mushy, aerated mush. This is the first season for me with this boat. Skiing is manageable at best, wakeboarding is uneventful but tubing is plain HORRIBLE. Tubing at 60' directly behind the boat is like riding a motorcycle in a torrential downpour. Without eye protection you cannot even open your eyes at any reasonable tubing speeds just plain hurts like hell.

I have Nauticus Smart Tabs SX 9.5" x 10" w 80lb actuators. I have them set as light as possible. I have not tried completely removing them trying to get the boat to set in the water a little deeper. Loaded with 8 passengers or 3 it doesn't matter. I'm just GUESSING the jet is aerating the surface and either removing the trim tabs completely or an angled adapter nozzle?!?!?!?

Any thoughts would be greatly be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:10 pm 
Goldfish

Old technology, not really designed to be a great ski/wake boat. Just a novelty to have a jet drive in that boat for it's day. More catered to people that boat in shallow water where an outdrive has too much draft. You can ski behind just about anything, but a good wake may not be what you get, thus the boat you bought

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Hate to say it but we bought a similar jet boat and it lasted only a year for the same reason. We had the issue with the jet wash being a real issue for the kids while tubing. The boat runs very shallow and the force of the water cannot be controlled. I looked at changing the plate angle, etc but could not it any better.

As we learned, nothing beats a prop in the water for good water sports. Sorry.

Previously:
2007 Vista 258 " Just Right"
2005 Horizon 230

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

ok so a jet drive will give ZERO wake for a wake board because of simple fluid dynamics. Easy terms. the JET floats as it pushes the boat along. Where as a drive hanging down produces a down force on the transom which makes the transom ride lower in the water and generates a wake. Next these hulls were designed for ski and not wakeboard because of the erra. Additionally a wakeboard specific boat has a hull designed to generate a flow wake, a ski boat is designed for minimal wake. Now you can ski behind (for example a Ski Nautique tournament boat with the addition of a hydrofoil wedge that generated great down forces when lowered from the transom). Wake surf specific rocker wakes are generated by a trim tab (for simplistic terms) mounted at angle on the transom or gunnel that then shapes the wake for surfing.

Now to address the turbulent waters. your Jet is outputting a stream of turbulent water at the surface. A drive outputs turbulent water about 9-20" below the surface giving the turbulence time to mellow before the surface where a rider is contacting said surface.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11