www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Sorry to be sounding so blunt, but I'm not surprised your boat has failed given the lack of anything you've done to reduce this risk.
I would not have even left the marina knowing it hadn't been used for 3 years, without a full service & thorough going over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:13 am 

+1 to Deafs reply, I would have a total service done on the boat, Oil will need changed and filters, lower unit oil, new gas ect. Better safe then sorry. Start at ground zero and then you know whats been replace and what is yet to come. I have a 1997 Horizon 180 Rs with a 5.7 GL , its carb. I replace my oil every year and lower unit oil. This tells me if its leaking or not. Better to catch it early , less damage. You will also find your maint bill get cheaper. Did you sea trial the boat when you purchased it? If you handy you can replace the plugs yourself and the wires , hoses if needed, oil change , and lower unit oil. This will save you labor cost for sure. fuel filter is easy to change. Hope you get the issue figured out so you can enjoy it on vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:30 pm 
Clownfish

UPDATE:

So I got back from northern Michigan and took her to the repair shop and explained the problem and history of the boat.

They went through the boat and found the pickup line in gas tank was bent or pressed on bottom and probably too long. Replaced that. Checked anti siphon. Replaced water circulation pump (leak), impeller (leak), distributor cap, all spark plugs, oil change, and no errors when hooked up to machine. 250 run hours verified. Good fuel pressure at low rpm on the hose.

Picked boat up today. Put in water and I basically have the same issue. It will run a little better and get up out of the water but nowhere near where it should be. When I give it throttle it's basically no response. Runs about 25 mph. In and out of the throttle it will barely respond.

Taking the boat back. Going to have to take a water drive with mechanic I guess.

Riverview, MI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:34 pm 

Try loosening the fuel cap so air can get into tank....if that solves issue then its possible the fuel vent line has been clogged. Wasps or other bugs get in there and make a house.

This creates a vacuum and prevents enough fuel from being pulled from tank.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:30 am 
Clownfish

TX H210SS wrote:
Try loosening the fuel cap so air can get into tank....if that solves issue then its possible the fuel vent line has been clogged. Wasps or other bugs get in there and make a house.

This creates a vacuum and prevents enough fuel from being pulled from tank.

This is exactly what it feels like when driving the boat, like it wants to go just can't. when feathering the throttle I get a quick burst of power then nothing. I've read about how people have filled their gas tanks at the pump and overfilled or pumped gas all over because the nozzle sprayed gas. Could that possible be when the vent would get clogged and cause my problem because I did fill the tank on the way to the lake before this problem started?

And this problem started out of nowhere.

Method to clear the vent fuel line? Ive read about blowing air into the tank from the cap and fuel being pushed out...

Riverview, MI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:37 pm 

When I fuel up I feel for air pushing out of the vent, which is at stern of my model...that way I know it's clear....if it happens to be clogged the loosening of fuel cap will eliminate problem inmediately. Then u need to clear the vent line as you don't want to be running boat with loose fuel cap.

I never had to clear mine but would never blow air into tank. I would find where vent line connects to tank, disconnect and blow from that point forcing obstruction out the vent hole. Job one is to ID problem before expending wasted time, knuckle skin and energy.

All other things you have done were needed anyway so nothing wasted even if the vent is the issue.

Do not blow air into the vent toward tank though...if something is there then that just forces it into tank and makes small issue a big issue to resolve.

Keep in mind the more full the tank, the quicker the vacuum is created due to decreased air volume in tank. Hope this helps

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:53 pm 
Clownfish

TX H210SS wrote:
When I fuel up I feel for air pushing out of the vent, which is at stern of my model...that way I know it's clear....if it happens to be clogged the loosening of fuel cap will eliminate problem inmediately. Then u need to clear the vent line as you don't want to be running boat with loose fuel cap.

I never had to clear mine but would never blow air into tank. I would find where vent line connects to tank, disconnect and blow from that point forcing obstruction out the vent hole. Job one is to ID problem before expending wasted time, knuckle skin and energy.

All other things you have done were needed anyway so nothing wasted even if the vent is the issue.

Do not blow air into the vent toward tank though...if something is there then that just forces it into tank and makes small issue a big issue to resolve.

Keep in mind the more full the tank, the quicker the vacuum is created due to decreased air volume in tank. Hope this helps

excellent info and I appreciate it. I will certainly try loosening the cap and looking around. Agree, everything the marina here has done needed it anyway so I don't feel bad about any of that.

Riverview, MI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:11 pm 
Clownfish

Blessed by the boat gods!

So I have it worked on (see prior comment above), test rode it and it wasn't much of an improvement. Kept reading in the forum about gas cap problems and vent tube problems. I unscrewed the gas cap and inspected the vent tube. Mine is the type that must be an all in one deal where the tube runs right off the gas intake. Everything seemed good. I took up the floor and looked at gas tank. Looked good. I undid the the vent to blow back out any debris or clog. Did that and it seemed fine with no obstructions. Put everything back, said a prayer, and dumped her in the Detroit River for a ride.

She works! Before I was bogging down at half throttle and getting zero response from throttle. Now she gets up and goes. Must have been a pressure issue in tank or something???

Also, with the 5.7L what kinda top speed should I be looking for? I was getting to about 4000RPm and 40 MPH or so on the dash.

Riverview, MI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:41 pm 

According to Four winns site your motor should turn 4200 to 4600 rpms so you are close.

With aluminum 14 1/2" x 19 prop they say 44-47.

http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documen ... s_1997.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:45 pm 

I'm going thru fuel system in my 93 bass tracker that I just got back . We had been using portable fuel tank due to stalling worth main tank. The vent line was partially blocked with calcified white powder from moisture I assume. ...I cleaned tank connections, replaced tubing, drained and flushed tank and installed clear in line filter with cartridge filters.

I found the inside of fuel fill tube was heavily calcified and flaking apart, so I'm searching for new one so I can fire up the new to me Evinrude 48 Special. I mention this so yall know to check those filler tubes with flashlight....gonna go thru the SS system next, but this 17 footer is a fun cheap project.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:47 am 
Clownfish

captkevin wrote:
According to Four winns site your motor should turn 4200 to 4600 rpms so you are close.

With aluminum 14 1/2" x 19 prop they say 44-47.

http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documen ... s_1997.pdf

Currently have a 19 stainless on there and have been using. Also have a 21 stainless that the seller gave me.

thanks for info too

Riverview, MI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:06 am 

With the stainless they put it at 45-48.

Our last boat was a 1999 Horizon 200 with the 5.7gs/sx drive.

They put it at 49-52 @ 4600 rpm & that seems pretty close.

It was a great boat & lots of good times were had.

Brings back lots of good memories.