www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:23 pm 
Tadpole

Hello!

New Four Winns owner and forum member!

I'm up in Edmonton Canada. I don't know if I have a lazy partsman up here or if he's being genuine.

2006 H210 SS

I'm missing the 2 bolts that hold the black handle for the motor cover hatch. The 2 bolts hold the black plastic latch that the locking ball slides into.

The partsman here says fourwinns parts don't go down to those specifics. He said I should just try different bolts until I find the right bolts. What he doesn't seem to understand though is that I would need to take the entire hatch to the hardware store with me because the receiving threads for these 2 bolts are right in the hatch itself.

Does anyone know a part # or perhaps what type of thread this is? I fear it may be a special Four Winns thread I can't duplicate from the stainless selection avbailable in hardware stores. Please help, I'm worried this hatch will blow open some day at 40 MPH and I'm tired of cruising around with a rachet strap across my motor hatch door.

Cheers, Kent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Parts guy may be right...They may not have a specific item listed for specific bolts.

Might try removing a similar sized bolt from another accessory and seeing if it will fit the threads in your hatch cover. That way you could ID the thread size.
Or pick up a box of misc. sized SS bolts/screws. That way you might be able to ID the thread size plus you would also have a few spare bolts and screws.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:58 pm 

You should be able to estimate diameter and length and get a few closely sized bolts from your local hardware to test. I doubt it is specialty- probably a pretty standard size.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:12 pm 

Without doubt it's not a metric thread; FW didn't use them at least until 2009. ( no metric threads on my 2009 boat, except for the European sourced diesel engine/ outdrive). It'll be UNC or UNF I expect.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:02 am 
Tadpole

Thanks guys. Did the "jar o bolts" thing at the marina. Found a loose fit. Will head to hardware and buy some cheap grade ones that seem close, then if I have a winner I will return to store for SS. Even if it's a loose fit I may try loctite. The hatch has yet to fly open on its own so there will be little force on these bolts. Just don't want them to drop into never never land bilge.

Cheers.