www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:16 am 
Guppy

***2000 Horizon 230***

Hey folks - I was installing a set of Bennett tabs (either side of the outdrive, as most online photos show them) last weekend and upon drilling the mounting holes for the shims/backing plates, water started pouring out of this portion of the hull - in spite of the bilge plug being pulled and dry..

Both sides drained for a couple of hours, indicating at least a number of gallons in this portion of the hull.

Any thoughts as to how/where this water is trapped?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by Alumin8 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

What boat? So the transom is storing water?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:35 am 
Guppy

Sorry- it's a year 2000 Horizon 230.
As I mentioned, the bilge was empty but water from some space below the bilge/transom appears to be holding water.
It was pretty much crystal clear though, which makes me suspect rainwater. I get rainwater ingress through the lousy OEM bow cover as well as the bimini strut pass-throughs. I've taken to dropping the bimini and using the snap covers + the mooring cover to keep out all rain..

SB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:19 pm 
Guppy

Picture's so you don't get bad information here?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:28 am 
Tadpole

I have a 1999 200 Horizon and I am experiencing a lot of water in the "in floor storage area", I cannot seem to get this dried out. when I cover my boat I end up with mildew everywhere. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get this water out and/or prevent it from happening again. The bilge area is dry and when I pull the plug only a little amount of water comes out. I am to the point of getting rid of it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 am 
Goldfish

djburns0113 wrote:
I have a 1999 200 Horizon . I am to the point of getting rid of it.

Sounds like a good plan. Move on to the next one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:56 pm 

If the boat is good overall, I would not dump a boat over this problem. I seem to recall others posting on here about this, do a search to see how others have dealt with it. I might consider adding a drain plug on each side of the area with the water problem, (just like your main garboard drain in the transom) this way you can drain it. To solve it is more complex, I'd probably figure on removing the rear seats, removing the batteries and crawling around back there to get to the source of the water leak, follow water stains and see if you can find an area left open that should have been 'glassed in. The bigger issue is that there can be wet foam in those compartments that may not dry out. If the stringers and transom are wood cored this can and will cause rot. The best long term solution is to carefully cut out a section of the rear deck on each side, large enough to dig out all the wet foam. Then solve the leak issue and fix any wood rot that you have found. What I'd do then is make those panels removable like the cover over the gas tank with gaskets to keep out water. It will not be a fun job (did this when I replaced the deck in my '88 from the engine compartment to the helm about 10 years ago). Dug that foam out with crow bars.
I'm not familiar with the construction of these boats in that area but I think its likely the entire area under the deck is foam filled.

The worst thing for fiberglass boats with wood cores is trapped water, especially fresh water.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:21 pm 

djburns0113 wrote:
I have a 1999 200 Horizon and I am experiencing a lot of water in the "in floor storage area", I cannot seem to get this dried out. when I cover my boat I end up with mildew everywhere. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get this water out and/or prevent it from happening again. The bilge area is dry and when I pull the plug only a little amount of water comes out. I am to the point of getting rid of it.

I'm sure LouC is answering the Original Post, not the 1999 Horizon 200.

Regarding the water in the Ski Locker, that should drain under the fuel tank area to the rear bilge. If it is not draining, it is just likely to be clogged up gunk under the tank that is blocking it. A combination of garden hose cleaning and/or pushing a metal rod through that passageway should get it cleared up.

When I cover my horizon with wet carpet or wet interior, I leave a dehumidifier in the boat under the cover, run on an extension cord from the house (purchased for about $160 at home depot). I leave it in the ski locker with the locker door open. I have a short hose that drains to the bottom of the locker, and this water drains out the back of the boat. Disclaimer: some have commented that they would worry about an electric device left in the enclosed boat, but I am not really worried about it. These dehumidifiers have closed compressor motors and solid state controls that should not have any arcing anyway.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:23 pm 

Yes I was responding to that original concern with water in the side areas of the transom. For the ski locker area there have been a number of people who had problems with it not draining . I recall one member had an issue with the plastic gas tank shifting back slightly and blocking the drain between the rear bulkhead behind the tank and the engine bilge. The plastic tanks had some brackets that were supposed to hold them in place that got loose. When I fixed all the rot in this boat some years back I enlarged those drains and made sure the wood was coated in epoxy around the holes.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for the advice! I am a first time boat owner and just don't know all the ins and outs, glad to have found this forum, and to have received good responses to my dilemma. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:26 pm 
230 Mike

One knock on FW is that they do a poor job of cleaning up debris during the build process. As a result you're likely to find dust, cutoffs, and general crap in cracks and crevices. Unfortunately that area under the deck around the fuel tank tends to be a place where it accumulates and forms blockages.

As to the original poster - no idea from me but rain water is a good theory.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 am 
Livin' the Dream

I have seen with other boat manufacturers that have been sloppy with he fiberglass at the drain from the ski locker.... I would do like the above suggestions and work a metal wire through it and then try a piece of 1/4" threaded rod. Threaded rod is typically available at hardware stores in 4'-6' pieces....

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:29 am 
Tadpole

To all, I did as suggested I found the ski locker seep hole was blocked and so was the seep hole past my fuel tank to the transom well. Unplugged both cut out some carpet in the ski locker, sprayed with a water hose and the water flowed right through!

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:19 pm 

djburns0113 wrote:
...Unplugged both cut out some carpet in the ski locker...

I also removed the carpet from the floor of the ski locker, and replaced it 1 ft square plastic drainage tiles.
Something like this:

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 pm 
Goldfish

Similar thing here. I just pulled out the bilge pump under the engine, mounted to the floor. When I pulled out the last screw a small fountain of clean water about an inch high started coming out. This is in the center under the engine and slightly lower than the main plug opening. :shock: My plug is in so it started building up. I'd guess just over a gallon worth. Boat has been inside all winter.
2001 Horizon 210 w/5.7L GXi.