www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: alternator???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:09 pm 
Clownfish

I have 5.8 v8 omc in my fourwinns and have a 2k watt stereo from time to time my circuit breaker kicks out the power and when I park and switch over to my radio battery and run it low it seems like my alternator might not be charging it fast enough when I switch it back to charge the radio battery after turning on the boat with the motor battery that I have to keep the boat on the motor battery when I have it on x2 it seems to drag the motor battery down...my alternator is 65amps...should I go bigger?? would it cause problems with the fuel injection?? please advise..thnx

Post subject: Re: alternator???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:47 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
from time to time my circuit breaker kicks out

So you have a breaker tripping? What circuit is this breaker protecting? I would first solve the breaker issue. Could be a failing breaker or has additional loads been added down stream of it that are now exceeding its rated capacity.

Quote:
when I park and switch over to my radio battery and run it low it seems like my alternator might not be charging it fast enough when I switch it back to charge the radio battery after turning on the boat

Although added loads above what the manufacturer intended will speed the wear on an alternator, I would not expect even a new or larger one, to recharge a depleted battery. Alternators make for poor battery chargers. They are really designed to keep pace with normal loads and top off the battery after cranking the engine. They are not intended to recharge a dead house battery, especially in a short period of engine run time. I would suggest investing in a dual bank onboard charger to use once the boat is put away for the day.

Quote:
would it cause problems with the fuel injection??

No, a larger alternator will not cause any issues with the FI or any other circuits. However, you may need to upgrade the main charge cable.

Quote:
should I go bigger??

I would first make sure the alternator is working as it should. No bad cables or connections. Next, is the audio, battery banks and switch wired to in the most ideal manor. If you need a new alternator, then I would consider an upgrade. Based on whats known, no, I would not upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:09 am 

Tunes has a very thought out post. Very interesting!

As he has mentioned, resolve the breaker issue. I have always believed in. Resolve all the small problems first, it may resolve the bigger ones.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:46 pm 
Clownfish

ok guys finally got around to check that breaker that kicks out its the 12.5 amp breaker that protects the EEC (electronic control) power relay...I push it and it turns all the power back on..i had the alternator checked and its good.. sound familiar?? thnx in advance..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:20 pm 
Clownfish

ok guys finally got around to check that breaker that kicks out its the 12.5 amp breaker that protects the EEC (electronic control) power relay...I push it and it turns all the power back on..i had the alternator checked and its good.. sound familiar?? thnx in advance..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 am 

I used to have intermittent problems with a circuit breaker tripping. Turned out to be loose battery connection.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:30 pm 
Clownfish

thanks i will do a complete inspection just incase..thanks