www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:26 pm 
Starfish

So for my boat's first time, it'll be stored outdoors this winter. The first and previous owner kept it in his heated garage. So I'm not shrink wrapping it, but using the bow and cockpit cover held up with their own poles and the OEM mooring cover. So, what have the rest of you done to keep the cover from collapsing in?

Also, as I see for sale recently in a email from Wholesale Marine, there are AC powered heaters that can be placed inside? Anyone do this?

Thank you all in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Not sure on the cover question. I keep mine in my unheated barn for the winter. As far as the heater- not needed in my opinion if you winterize properly.

5.0L Mercruiser, Alpha 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm 
Livin' the Dream

I store mine inside. I have heard of issues with mildew when using 2 covers like you are describing....

I would find a lean too or a pole barn and pay a little $$... doesn't need to be heated just keep the rain, snow and sun off of it

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:51 pm 

I would remove the bow and cockpit covers and just use the full storage cover. I built a frame for mine that I have added to over the years to keep it from caving with snow loads. If you have 2 covers it will trap moisture between and you will have mold all over your bow and cockpit covers and on the underside of the storage cover.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fplh6p6z0q3aw ... 2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fplh6p6z0q3aw ... 2.JPG?dl=0

It holds up pretty well, cheaper than shrink wrap and I can open it up and work on the boat on nice winter days.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:30 am 

I agree with Lou.

Were in N.E. Where the snow can get very high like 2yrs ago. I have also used those ratchet tie-downs straps in order to stabilize the poles and to stop the cover from sinking in from the weight of the rain and snow.

Don't bother with the heater. Just winterize the whole boat and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:30 am 

I agree with Lou.

Were in N.E. Where the snow can get very high like 2yrs ago. I have also used those ratchet tie-downs straps in order to stabilize the poles and to stop the cover from sinking in from the weight of the rain and snow.

Don't bother with the heater. Just winterize the whole boat and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:18 pm 

You can use the cover you've described, but you should make sure there is adequate ventilation and keep the snow from piling up. I wouldn't worry about a heater (as mentioned previously), just winterize the engine, drive, and any other systems that have water (head, transom shower, etc.).

You should be fine.

Previous boats:
2003 Four Winns 248 Vista - sold
1994 Sunbird Corsair 200 - sold
1980 Checkmate Predictor - sold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 pm 
Starfish

Thank you for all your replys. It has been winterized already. As for the heater, I couldn't fathom what good it would do. Being I'm in CT, searching Craigslist, for anything indoor can't be had for anything less than $100 a month. Suppose I'll be keeping the mooring cover on and supporting it up some more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 am 

I know you said you don't want to shrink wrap but that would be my suggestion. For a boat that size it shouldn't be too much $$. If you reuse it, it will probably save you money on tarps and custom covers that will get ruined quicker. I am on my 4th season with my shrink wrap. I only had to re-tape some areas last year and its in the same shape as when I first installed it.
I also reused shrink wrap (probably 7 years old now) from an older boat to cover my center console dinghy and its like the day it was put on the other boat. If you don't leave the shrink wrap out in the summer months it really last for a long time. Just have to be careful of mice eating away when I store it in the shed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:01 pm 

> but using the bow and cockpit cover held up with their own poles and the OEM mooring cover.

Late to answer on this one... but

FWIW I used the 2 cover solution for 6 years in an '07 horizon with no issues with mold. Both were factory FW covers new when I bought the boat. I think there are more variables involved on whether you will get mold build up or not (type of covers, weather conditions, etc). That said, my mooring cover also had cutouts in it for the wakeboard tower. This probably allowed for more ventilation.

The worst mold I ever had in a previous boat was the year I chose to have it shrink wrapped for the winter.