www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H260 Trim Tabs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:07 pm 
Shark

So, for starters, I've done a lot of research both on this forum and others about trim tabs on my H260. I would agree with the conclusion that the H260 doesn't NEED trim tabs. I can easily drop down to 15 MPH (even with with my heavy 8.2L) and still stay on plane. My question is mostly directed at those folks that do have the trim tabs installed on an H260. Did it help with rough water performance or leveling the boat out when your passengers continuesly sit on one side? I'm mostly wanting to smooth out the ride in rough water. We boat at Lake of the Ozarks and we encounter very rough water 80% of the time. The downside to my 8.2L is that it does cause the bow to jump a bit in rough conditions unless people are sitting up front.

H260 owners with tabs, what are your thoughts? Worth it or not? Cost isn't a concern so no reason to debate that.

Thanks all, and Merry Christmas!

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

Post subject: Re: H260 Trim Tabs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

You can use the tabs to reduce bow rise and help with getting on plane. They work well for that. They also give you options for rough water operation. There are times the water is rough enough that any boat will be affected, so the tabs can't be considered a magic cure.

Having said that, trim tabs do offer a way to trim the boat to adjust for many different adverse conditions. They are nice to have.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:57 am 

purdueosch wrote:
So, for starters, I've done a lot of research both on this forum and others about trim tabs on my H260. I would agree with the conclusion that the H260 doesn't NEED trim tabs. I can easily drop down to 15 MPH (even with with my heavy 8.2L) and still stay on plane. My question is mostly directed at those folks that do have the trim tabs installed on an H260. Did it help with rough water performance or leveling the boat out when your passengers continuesly sit on one side? I'm mostly wanting to smooth out the ride in rough water. We boat at Lake of the Ozarks and we encounter very rough water 80% of the time. The downside to my 8.2L is that it does cause the bow to jump a bit in rough conditions unless people are sitting up front.

H260 owners with tabs, what are your thoughts? Worth it or not? Cost isn't a concern so no reason to debate that.

Thanks all, and Merry Christmas!

If cost is not an issue, get them installed. For the reasons you noted above you will not regret it.

I had them on my 24' Doral cuddy. I would not have enjoyed the boat as much with out them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:35 am 

Also agree if cost is not the issue the get them. My v258 does not need them as well. I hardly used them if it was just the family. They do work very well when we bring people and everyone is on the same side and its hard to move people around. They work wonders to cut through the chop or wakes of other boats but they can only do so much when you get to a really large wave/wake then there really isn't much other than a bigger boat that can handle it and slowing down is the only way.
With the heavy big block I would say they will be handy.

Are there reasons for you not wanting to get them? If its looks, you have a really sharp looking boat, then you will hardly notice them when its in the water. Probably won't even see them unless looking down from the dock.

BTW, my new boat with V-drives runs better at cruise with the tabs down. The first time I drove it was counter intuitive but we get an extra knot or 2 when down. It changes the angle of the boat making it more efficient, was what I was told when I mentioned it around the dock.
Now with this experience I can think back to trimming the drive up a little and putting the tabs down would create a sweet spot during a chop of comfort and speed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:19 am 
Shark

Thanks for great information! I'm not concerned about the looks, I mostly just didn't want to maintain another electrical/hydraulic system on my boat if it would never be used. I also trailer a lot, so that would be one more thing to add to my check list before trailering. When it's just my wife and I (and maybe 2 others), the boat is stern heavy causing the bow to jump more than other boats in rough water and I have to keep my drive trim all the way down. Babbot1 mentioned exactly what I hope to accomplish, drive trimmed up a notch or two and the tabs down enough to keep the bow carving through the water as efficient as possible. I've had 12-15 people on board before and the boat runs like a dream and the tabs would not be needed in a "full load of people" scenario. The added weight in the front makes the bow carve the waves very nicely.

I'm working with my FW dealer to source the custom tabs (with curved hinges) for my specific hull. So for now I plan to install these in the spring unless I'm talked out of it. 8)

2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 pm 

Dealer install = big $$. But factory stuff is nice to have and will probably fit better.

If you get Bennett brand hydraulic tabs, which I believe is the factory brand for most, they are very well received and auto retract when you turn the boat off so you shouldn't have to worry about trailing. The chances of leaving the boat running while someone else gets the trailer is a concern but if they can install in a way that doesn't interfere, that's another benefit.

I would contact Bennett directly or even Lenco. Bennett has excellent customer service. Ask them about your concerns even before you get the dealer involved. They might even save you some $$ with suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:15 pm 

I had Lenoco electric tabs on my doral and the automatically retracted when I shut the boat down. So no worries about trailering.

I also recommended spending a bit extra for the trip tab indicators. My last 2 boats have not had them and I definitely miss it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:19 am 
Shark

I'm a DIY type of person so I plan to install them myself. Luckily my dealer can get me the Bennett custom tabs and the pump a bit cheaper than I can find it anywhere else. We've also been a long time customer with them so I had that to my advantage. The controller was a different story since FW only has the basic controller (up/down switches with no indicators). I took your advice and contacted Bennett and they will have the new self leveling w/manual override controller available in January/February. I plan to purchase that controller when it becomes available since I can setup two different profiles for cruise attitude or tow sports attitude and of course the manual selection for anything in between. Based on what you all are saying I think this will improve the overall performance of my 260 and get me a littler better rough water management.

I'll report back the difference it makes so hopefully this thread can help someone in the future.

$600 MSRP, actual price may be a bit lower through Defender, etc.

2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:34 pm 

You think your 260 with the big block V8 is stern heavy ? Try a 278 with a D4, a real heavy lump of metal ! The trim tabs on mine are essential. There's no negative aspect of having them fitted, I only see positives.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:40 pm 
Livin' the Dream

purdueosch wrote:
I'm a DIY type of person so I plan to install them myself. Luckily my dealer can get me the Bennett custom tabs and the pump a bit cheaper than I can find it anywhere else. We've also been a long time customer with them so I had that to my advantage. The controller was a different story since FW only has the basic controller (up/down switches with no indicators). I took your advice and contacted Bennett and they will have the new self leveling w/manual override controller available in January/February. I plan to purchase that controller when it becomes available since I can setup two different profiles for cruise attitude or tow sports attitude and of course the manual selection for anything in between. Based on what you all are saying I think this will improve the overall performance of my 260 and get me a littler better rough water management.

I'll report back the difference it makes so hopefully this thread can help someone in the future.

$600 MSRP, actual price may be a bit lower through Defender, etc.

Really interested in this and how the auto works with existing systems. Always wanted hydraulic trim tabs, gonna love having them, maybe add this in a year if it works good.... good luck, please report back results in the spring!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

Last edited by chris268 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:02 am 

That control switch looks awesome!!!
The indicator is a great addition. I do not have indicators and would love to have them. Also, memory presets!! Man talk about modern. Let us know how they work next year.