www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:20 pm 
Tadpole

hi everyone, i just ( 3/15/17 ) purchased a 1996 190 dlx horizon with the 4.3 gl and omc sx outdrive. all original, 350 1 owner hours. the boat /motor / outdrive is immaculate but i have NO experience with maintenance or problematic issues with this engine / outdrive.

i absolutely love the boat and the interior layout/quality and just wanted some actual owner feedback on what to look for. also, how do these boats run with the speed/acceleration with the 4.3 gl ( 190 hp ) and from what ive read, there really isnt an economical way to make these motors more powerful.

thanks in advance for any information...also, the tac and the trim gauge isnt working. should i replace the gauges or go for an entirely new cluster?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:23 pm 
Tadpole

If you have the VDO all in one dash you should consider changing to new gauges/that are separate - you may have to change the sending units as well. Use the search function as much has been written about the VDO cluster. John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I had no issues in 5 years of owning a '95 5.7Gi/SX other than a low pressure fuel pump that had to be replaced.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I put over 2100 hours on our '95 190 with a 5.0 EFI Ford engine and Volvo SX drive. It was running great when we sold it. The issues I had were:
1. An Exhaust flapper valve came loose and caused a partial blockage in the exhaust and a loss of power.

2. The driveshaft bellows developed a leak where it contacted the forward hose clamp screw. Fortunately no other parts were needed. Volvo has since redesigned the bellows.

3. The u-joint in the Tilt Steering Wheel mechanism came loose and caused the steering to lock up.

4. The fuse between the battery and the Engine Electronic Control Unit failed due to corrosion.

The issues we had were not significant, although some were a pain to troubleshoot. The boat ran great an gave us 18 years of enjoyment. Maintenance is very important, especially with an older boat.

The VDO gauge cluster has been a known issue. Do a search on this site for repair or replacement options. There have also been threads posted regarding troubleshooting procedures for gauges.

The inop outdrive trim gauge may be a bad sending unit on the right side of the outdrive.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:19 pm 
Tadpole

thank you guys very very much. ive been reading as much as i can and i stopped by the local marina and they werent too helpful so this information is very very much appreciated.its not the biggest or best thing out there but its in great shape, its bought and paid for and all the four winns forums have been welcoming. safe boating everyone!