www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 pm 
Dolphin

Anyone installed one of these in a 2007 era 210? Wondering where a guy can mount one.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

i have one in my '93 190 mine is in line with the front edfe of the engine block about 8" to the Starbord of the keel. Instructions have details about getting the mounting bracket at proper angle to the hull for perfect vertical firing. Mine is spot on depth. love it.

Faria Depth Gauge in the dash and thru hull. simple.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:39 pm 
Dolphin

I looked today, and it looks like the factory installed depth finder transducer is mounted in about the same spot you're referring too. It appears to be a thru hull transducer. I got under the boat on the trailer, and see something in about the spot it should be, but it is mostly hidden by a trailer bunk. In the place it's installed, it appears there are two separate pieces of fiberglass... the inner fiberglass for the bilage area that they cut a hole in, and then the actual fiberglass of the hull. That seem correct to you folks? I'm looking at mounting a "shoot-thru" unit so I don't have to put a hole in the hull. The way it looks though, I'd have to drill thru the inner fiberglass in another area to mount the new one. That makes me very nervous because if a guy drills too far, I've got big problems. I'm having a boat shop in town do it, but they don't seem very confident about it.

My new GPS/Fishfinder came with a transom mount transducer, but there's not much room to work with and not be in the way of the transom straps.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Mounting a "shoot through hull" transducer can be done anywhere there is solid fiberglass (including on the keel centerline) and where there is clean water flow without air bubbles. You can glue the transom mount transducer inside the hull. Some have used epoxy, some have used silicone adhesive. Whatever is used can not have air bubbles in it. However, ........ many transducers also provide a water temperature reading. This will be inaccurate because it is affected by the engine compartment temp and not in direct contact with the water. Even shooting through solid fiberglass will not give as good of a signal as the transom mount. I don't know if your boat has some core material between fiberglass layers, but this will compromise the transducer operation.

I do recommend mounting the transducer on the transom. I mount a 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch thick Starboard transducer mounting plate to the transom with 2 screws and 3M 5200 adhesive. Future transducer changes are less likely to require additional holes in the hull. I know you said space was limited, but I would recommend looking into it.

The OEM through-hull transducer for the digital dash display operates at a much lower power (wattage) than the typical fishfinder. My experience has been that the digital in-dash units lose bottom more often and do not distinguish between a hard or soft bottom or weeds.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon