www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: batterys
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 pm 
Clownfish

hello, i have 2 batteries with a perko switch on board, question: whats better to power a 2k watt stereo 27 or 31 battery and which to power the motor??? i have a stock 65 amp alternator...thanks captains! :D

Post subject: Re: batterys
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:36 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There are better battery experts on this forum than me, but I'll start by asking if either one is a Deep-cycle battery? That would make sense for the stereo. And which ever has the highest Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) would be best for starting the engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if your boat was set up with the group 27 as a starting battery and the group 31 as a deep cycle battery, but check the labels and see.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:13 am 
Clownfish

rpengr wrote:
There are better battery experts on this forum than me, but I'll start by asking if either one is a Deep-cycle battery? That would make sense for the stereo. And which ever has the highest Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) would be best for starting the engine.

I wouldn't be surprised if your boat was set up with the group 27 as a starting battery and the group 31 as a deep cycle battery, but check the labels and see.

yes they are both deep cycle....just would like a lil more input on how its works..thnx captain

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:36 pm 

Do not use a deep cycle battery as a starting battery if you have a modern electronic engine. Meaning it is not a carburetor engine. I don't see boat specs on your questions.
Per the volvo manual for the model I have they state not to use a deep cycle because they do not provide enough amps while cranking and could fry the computer. I would imagine pretty similar for merc...
So as rpengr stated use deep cycle for stereo and cranking battery for engine. Bigger is always better in batteries. The other option is "dual purpose" batteries which are supposed to be right in the middle for boats so you can use it for cranking the engine and a little deep cycling. Not intended for a trolling motor but for a stereo it should work okay.
Others will have a better idea on the drain of a 2k amp and could probably recommend a more specific battery or maybe even needing 2 for the stereo. Sounds like a pretty large amp.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:33 pm 
Clownfish

babbot1 wrote:
Do not use a deep cycle battery as a starting battery if you have a modern electronic engine. Meaning it is not a carburetor engine. I don't see boat specs on your questions.
Per the volvo manual for the model I have they state not to use a deep cycle because they do not provide enough amps while cranking and could fry the computer. I would imagine pretty similar for merc...
So as rpengr stated use deep cycle for stereo and cranking battery for engine. Bigger is always better in batteries. The other option is "dual purpose" batteries which are supposed to be right in the middle for boats so you can use it for cranking the engine and a little deep cycling. Not intended for a trolling motor but for a stereo it should work okay.
Others will have a better idea on the drain of a 2k amp and could probably recommend a more specific battery or maybe even needing 2 for the stereo. Sounds like a pretty large amp.

thnx for the info captain, btw the engine is a Omc 5.8 v8 fuel injection...if that helps any..thnx in advance. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 am 

I would check to see if either battery has a rating for CCA (Cold Cranking Amps). It would be best to check you engine manual to see what minimum CCA is recommended. If I had to guess, I would think you would want at least 600 CCA for starting the engine.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings