www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:32 am 
Dolphin

Good morning everyone. I've only had our Four Winns out a few times since we got it, and every time I struggle with getting the bow eye over the bottom bow roller. Is there a trick to lining up the rollers before approach? You can see the bottom roller is all tore up from the people who had it before me slammed the bow eye into the roller repeatedly.

Any advice is sure appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:13 pm 
230 Mike

This is a problem for many of us. I've found it easiest to just winch the eye up and over it, and replace the roller when it gets chewed up enough to warrant it.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

It may seem backwards, but this happens when you have the trailer too deep in the water. The bow of the boat is not hitting the bunks so doesnt raise up so the bow eye comes in too low. Sometimes unavoidable if the ramp is real steep....when i have that happen, i hook the bow eye up and pull the trailer up a little and it settles in.....usually not a problem as you in deep water when this happens. For me anyway

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:40 pm 

If your 2 rollers pivot, I've found it helpful to start with them almost vertical. When the bow of the boat hits the top roller, it'll push it forward and bring the lower roller towards the boat, and ideally with the bow eye between the 2 rollers.
And yes, the depth of the trailer in the water makes a big difference, as said above....

Anyway, that's my theory - YMMV....

Good luck!

Erik

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 am 
GIDDY UP

230 Mike wrote:
This is a problem for many of us. I've found it easiest to just winch the eye up and over it, and replace the roller when it gets chewed up enough to warrant it.

Same here.
Our ramp is pretty steep and backing further down is a no go. The guide rails would be under the boat completely giving the wife no help pulling up to the trailer.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:54 am 

I am resurrecting some old pictures here, but I HATED the double roller setup that came on my H240 trailer. On most ramps, the bow eye would catch under the lower roller, and had to be forced over by cranking it up with the winch. Here is what I changed it to:

I replaced the toggle arms with fixed plates that I fabricated. Bolted on to have only one roller at the same position as the original top roller. Much happier now. I drive right on, and can power up until the bow eye hits the roller, then attach the winch strap and tighten. I also replaced that wimpy strap in the picture with a 10,000# rated strap.

There are other people that have double rollers with long toggle arms. These seem to work better than the short one. But I don't see any need for two rollers.

Ray

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:24 pm 
Dolphin

That is exactly what I was considering doing. I don't see the need for the 2nd roller either, but perhaps others can chime in with some insight. I see boats bigger than mine all the time with only one roller.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm 
Shark

After fighting to get the bow eye off the lower roller when launching at a steep ramp with a high lake level, I am ready to lose the double roller set up as and go with thi sd single roller. Are there any regrets now that you've switched to this set up for for a while?

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:11 pm 

rpengr wrote:
I am resurrecting some old pictures here, but I HATED the double roller setup that came on my H240 trailer. On most ramps, the bow eye would catch under the lower roller, and had to be forced over by cranking it up with the winch. Here is what I changed it to:

I replaced the toggle arms with fixed plates that I fabricated. Bolted on to have only one roller at the same position as the original top roller. Much happier now. I drive right on, and can power up until the bow eye hits the roller, then attach the winch strap and tighten. I also replaced that wimpy strap in the picture with a 10,000# rated strap.

There are other people that have double rollers with long toggle arms. These seem to work better than the short one. But I don't see any need for two rollers.

Ray

Replace it with one of these. My trailer has a roller of this style and it doesn't matter how far you back the trailer in, it lines up perfectly every time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:23 am 
Guppy

I have the single roller set up on my Horizon 180 and like the previous poster it is awesome cause I can just power on and I know when I am in whent eh boat stops because the tie ring hits the roller. It's perfect.

2015 Pathfinder