www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:34 pm 
Tadpole

Hi all, I'm new to the forum here I just got a late 80's horizon with the 4 cylinder mercruiser. Everything works, it just needs to be timed. For timing, I can't get it to run. Previous owner put new fuel lines, new alternator, rebuilt carb, new spark plugs and wires, and new distributor on. It just needs timing. Bought from a family member and all this was done in the last 2 weeks. But I can't get it to actually run. It'll crank and every once in a while fire a time or two and then keep cranking. How do I get I timed close enough to run? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:18 am 
Goldfish

Sounds like the plug wires might be out of order. Double check the plug wires to verify they conform to the firing order and the location on your specific distributor cap. Also, the distributor gear could have been clocked at the wrong azimuth when inserting the new distributor. You should be able to confirm top dead center for cyl no. one by removing the sparkplug and feeling for when the piston is at the top of the stroke with a screwdriver or slender rod, by rotating the crank pulley by hand. Here's a reference from the repair manual:

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww217/lisadtcom/30Merc.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 am 
Tadpole

I never thought to check that, and that wound up being a problem. Cylinders 2 and 3 were swapped but it still wouldn't turn. I just cranked it while my buddy slowly turned the distributor until it fired. Timing was like 45 degrees off. When it fired i grabbed the timing light and put it pretty much near 8 degrees. Thanks!