www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine Rebuild Costs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am 
Looking for a ball park cost to rebuild engines for a 2005 Four Winns 298 Vista. Boat is well maintained but each of the engines has over 1,200 hours. Pressure test is good but I need to consider and cost of new engines is not an option. 2-Volvo penta 5.0 270s.

Post subject: Re: Engine Rebuild Costs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:47 pm 
230 Mike

What’s wrong with them?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:43 am 
At this point nothing. I will monitor this season as they may be using more oil than in the past. Just trying to plan possibly for after this season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:20 am 
email admin your custom rank

a new long block would be approx. $3,000 depending on who you buy it from and what add ons need to be replaced during the re-power (ie starter, manifolds, etc). Then there's the labor for pulling them, etc.
I'd just monitor them and keep a close eye on oil pressure, consumption and water temp. What motor oil have you been using? If you use a light weight car type oil it will increase oil consumption for sure. I'd use the Merc 25/40, it holds viscosity well in marine use. The idea of rebuilding depends on the level of internal corrosion. Some mechanics will not take on rebuilding a raw water cooled engine due to the unknowns caused by internal corrosion. I was able to do a top end overhaul on my '88 4.3 V6 but it took an impact gun to remove the head bolts. I wound up replacing the heads with re-mans and all the head and intake bolts due to corrosion. Parts cost was about $800 and I added a new center riser exhaust for another $700. Re-used the block, crank, cam, pistons etc. We'll see how long it lasts. Next time is NEW though.

you could call a few mechanics and machine shops and get estimates, but I don't think it will be that much cheaper than a new GM marine long block (block & heads).

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 am 
email admin your custom rank

I got a long block 5.0 to replace my VP for $2200. I pulled the engine, replaced with the new one, swapped over the intake, exhaust, and accessories myself. I would expect about $5000 per if you paid someone else to do all the labor.
Here is a link to the place I got my engine. They have a shop in Ocala Florida and in Rhode Island. I found them very easy to work with.
Good luck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-Vortec-5 ... .l4275.c10
Rob