www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:33 am 
email admin your custom rank

So after a cracked block last winter I installed a new block and finally added the closed cooling system. Overall it was a fairly easy install. I had to purchase new hoses and a couple plugs but overall the kit was pretty nicely designed. I did have to cut off a part of the bracket that held the cooling radiator but nothing a sawzall and a vice couldn't handle. I also had to relocate the fuse block and reset switch in order to make room for the coolant tank. Luckily it fit between the air cleaner and the valve cover. I ran it up to temperature yesterday on a hose and it held at 160 degrees. Hopefully next weekend I can try it in the water.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 pm 

Very good!! All stern and inboards should be closed cooled in opinion... These engines cost a fortune to begin with, mine as well add closed cooling for a little more(relatively speaking). There are many advantages to it not just corrosion and it will increase the resale value.
What system did you buy? I am trying to convince a friend of mine who just purchased a used boat with a new engine in it to install closed cooling. I helped another friend a bunch of years ago install the San Juan system which seemed fine but they are getting up there in cost.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:05 pm 

babbot1 wrote:
Very good!! All stern and inboards should be closed cooled in opinion... These engines cost a fortune to begin with, mine as well add closed cooling for a little more(relatively speaking). There are many advantages to it not just corrosion and it will increase the resale value.
What system did you buy? I am trying to convince a friend of mine who just purchased a used boat with a new engine in it to install closed cooling. I helped another friend a bunch of years ago install the San Juan system which seemed fine but they are getting up there in cost.

I agree entirely; I fitted such systems to both my V8 VP powered boats. My VP D4 has it as standard and they even throw in the extra of a sea water inlet filter, albeit after the sea water pump ! No additional inlet for flushing with fresh water included though ( I added one).

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm 

This was a Monitor system. I bought it on Ebay from the same place I got my rebuilt engine. Cost was $750 delivered.
Although it was a "kit" it is obvious most of the cost was from the heat exchanger. It appears to be completely copper. I had to buy my own hoses and clamps and a few plugs but overall I was impressed.