www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 pm 
A few days ago while out on the lake, I noticed that my power trim was stuck at 1/4 raised and wouldn't go lower. I stopped and restarted the boat, put the boat in forward and reverse, and raised and lowered the outdrive but it wouldn't go below that 1/4 mark. I drove to a bay and about an hour later, started the boat and the issue was gone. Today, while in the same bay and in fairly shallow water, I raised the outdrive to the full upright position. When I went to start the boat to leave, it wouldn't go down at all. It's completely stuck. I tried swapping the down / up fuses, but had no luck. Any ideas on how to diagnose the issue or what could be wrong?

Boat is a new-to-me 2012 Four Winns H210. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 am 
email admin your custom rank

If it’s not the relays (fuse) maybe the switch itself on the throttle quadrant.....relays are the most likely cause and it seems you already isolated that....mine sometimes requires a whack on top to wake it up. Mine is a few years older, but could it be a low level switch associated with the hydraulic fluid reservoir?

I would try and jumper the switch if possible to isolate that...should be a schematic or write up somewhere on the internets

Newtown, CT
untitled-545 by millerjont, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 am 
Starfish

Had the same type of issue on my Sundowner. The boat had been sitting over the winter and I could not get the drive to lower. I could hear some clicking back in the power unit so knew power was getting to the relays. I pulled both relays, cleaned up the connections and tried again and it worked. About an hour later, I had the same issue. This time I swapped out the relays for new ones and again the issue went away. I worked the pump through several cycles and the problem seems to be solved. It could be the relays had some internal oxidation issues or perhaps the brushes on the motor are starting to go or just got stuck from sitting. I have a rebuilt pump unit on hand just in case!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:50 am 
Thank you for the replies.

I was able to diagnose and fix (hopefully) the problem. I've returned to detail it here in the event others have the same issue in the future.

Like I mentioned in the original post, the boat is a new-to-me 2012 Four Winns H210 with a VP 5.0 & SX-A outdrive. The outdrive was stuck all the way up in the trailering position. I was able to hear the pump whining which initially led me away from any relay or electrical related problem. I thought that for some reason, there was an issue with the pump / trim fluid and feared the updated pump housing was never installed on the boat. I tried to put the boat on a lift to get to the trim fluid reservoir (stupid design) but couldn't quite manage it in the water.

We towed and pulled the boat at the marina. On the trailer, we confirmed that the new pump housing was on the boat and added a bit of fluid. The outdrive immediately lowered. There are no visible leaks; however, there could be a leak behind the housing but only time will tell (again, stupid design).

The other interesting point is that while out of the water, we noticed that the outdrive would hit the swim platform when fully raised. In fact, it was raising so far that it was popping screws out of the bracket attached to the platform which mounts to the boat. I am 99% certain the stock rams are 42 degree on this boat and find it odd that Four Winns would put rams in a boat that allow the outdrive to hit the stock swim platform. I am now curious if at some point in the boat's lifetime, the original rams were replaced with a set too long for this boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 am 
The rams are not the problem, the trim limit switch needs to be set. Because our swim platforms are so low to the water, FW requires a custom set limit.