www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HD220 Trim Performance
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:32 am 
We took delivery of a new HD220 this weekend. We took it out for a run on smooth lake water on Friday and found that if trimmed more than 25% from full down the boat starts porpoising. Had to run at almost fully trimmed down on water with no waves to prevent bounce regardless of running into or with the wind.

We traded in a 2004 Sea Ray 240 SunDeck so we are taking in all the differences. The 240 had a very different hull but on smooth water that boat would be trimmed at 75% and running with no up and down. Even in rough water it would trim at 50%.

Our day was cut short by rain so didn't get to run a long time and do more experimentation. Wondering if this is normal performance for this boat/hull and what others are experiencing. Maybe this is normal for a smaller boat?

Also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a problem in the bow. One of the bow cushions keeps popping up once we get on plane. Seems like the gas shock has too much pressure and any bit of wind or bounce causes it to deploy. The other cushion/shock is just fine. Can't find any adjustment on the shock and don't want to have to keep my cleaning brush wedged in as the solution.

Only got to run about an hour but love the boat. Its amazing how much as changed in 15 years on boats. And it is amazing how different the boat moves in the water around the dock. Took me a 1/2 dozen tries to get backed into our slip and my wife is looking at me like what the heck is wrong with you. After having the same boat for 15 years you get the to know exactly how it is going to move and the correction inputs are hardwired into the brain. This boat has less hull in the water, less weight, and more engine. Going to take some getting used to. May have taken 6+ tries but didn't rub the dock.....and thank goodness no one is in the slip next to me.

Any input is appreciated on the trim question. Last two boats moved faster on plane with more trim. Everything about this boat feels radically different to me. And a good part of that is the 6.2 in a 22 foot boat. Our Sea Ray had the 350 MAG with a B3 so it got out of the hole well but took a few seconds to do so. This boat jumps out and runs at 40 mph under 4000 rpms.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

That sounds pretty typical to me. Too much trim causes porpoising. You went to a shorter lighter boat with more power. This can mean that it is heavier aft. Each boat model is unique in its handling characteristics. I am guessing the Sea Ray was heavier in the bow. The '95 190 Horizon I had was worse than your hd220. At anything less than 30mph I could not trim without it porpoising. My 268 tolerates very little trim at normal cruise speeds of 26-28 mph. Unless I was trying to run top speed I could not trim more than maybe a few degrees. At top end I could trim to just about anything I wanted.

Several factors affect the ability to trim, including forward or aft weight distribution, hull design, and speed. You can trim more at higher speed because more of the hull is out of the water. At faster speeds the area of the hull touching the water (wetted surface) is further back, and the hull and propeller are shallower in the water. This means that the thrust from the propeller has less leverage or effect trying to lift the bow at higher speeds. Some people like to use a fin (like a Stingray, Edge, etc) on the drive. My experience with these was disappointing. For me and the boats I have experienced, these fins caused more handling problems than they helped. The require that you really stay on top of your trimming adjustments, and they can cause an excessive roll into a turn at full down trim. These were not characteristics I wanted, especially with other novice drivers.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon