www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 pm 
Minnow

After searching I found some basics however nothing relative to my cause - 2008 H200 with the 5.0 Volvo Penta. Last week had the water pump and thermostat replaced and the boat was running mint. She's low hours (225) and took her out the past two days and she was perfect.

This morning - the boat starts but then dies within 1-10 seconds. I was patient at first, then tried back to back as well but no matter what same thing happened. Every single time the boat started almost immediately after turning the key, so I know it's getting fuel and spark because it starts right up every time. Can't be the battery or alternator I'd imagine because after 40 starts it still cranks right over. We just filled full with fuel 2 days ago. When it starts, it idles very low then dies out, like an old car that can't keep the RPM's up. Sometimes lasts half a second, sometimes sounds like it's going to push past it and keep going but then doesn't.

Before I take my boat to the mechanic and miss out on the 4th of July on the water I want to know if there's any thoughts out there?

1. Remove the fuel filter and see if it's full of fuel. If it was a fuel pump problem would it still start all 40 times? Like is the primer working fine but when it comes time for the fuel to push out it can't get enough, so it's the pump or the filter is clogged?

2. Air - I don't see any clogs, but should I remove the intakes and try for fresh air with the back cover up ? Maybe it's not getting enough air after starting?

I'm going to head out tomorrow morning and see if I can't get it going, any advice Is greatly appreciated!

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 pm 
Livin' the Dream

My boat did the same when the fuel pump went out. Should be able to test fuel pressure to see if that is the issue. Mine didn’t have the whine, but that’s a symptom of the clogged/bad fuel pump

I have Seen people have the same symptoms when they had their fuel/water separator clogged from junk gas. Interesting that you just topped it off

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 am 
Shark

Mine did not act that way but I have the same boat/engine/hours on mine. Replaced fuel pump assy last week for whining fuel pumps and chips in the fuel pressure regulator screen, and still boat backfires, no power, and will not rev over 3600rpm under load. Was at the marina with mechanic yesterday lake testing with the laptop and all it well, so we are now thinking the paint has clogged the fuel injectors not causing enough fuel flow. New injectors to show up today, and I'm putting them in for lake test later tonight.. I would get a fuel pressure test gauge from any parts store and follow these videos on the fuel system. If your pump assy has not been replaced, it will need it sometime down the road.

https://mancavemechanic.com/

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:38 am 
Shark

Sounds like low fuel pressure from a weak fuel pump. The pump could still be putting out low fuel pressure which is just enough to start it but not keep it running.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

do a search for
http://www.mancavemechanic.com

the guy who runs this site has some really good vids that describe the issues with Volvo EFI fuel pumps and how to repair them, and also offers a service to repair yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udFyawGJL4I

after watching these vids I really appreciate my old '88 4.3 with the Quadrajet and mechanical fuel pump. Simple, and inexpensive to repair.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 pm 

Sounds very similar to symptoms I encountered about a month ago. Fired up, but would not idle - tried giving gas but no luck. Turned out to be a burnt connection at the high pressure pump. Only the low pressure pump was working. You should be able to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the intake. Believe it should be somewhere in the 50 psi range. When my fuel pump plug issue was resolved and I had a high pressure fuel pump again, my fuel pressure was reading around 90 psi - indicating a bad fuel pressure regulator. This was replaced and all is well now. I suppose the bad regulator may have overheated the pump and melted the connector. You could start by checking the plug to the high pressure pump and see how that looks.

2005 210 Horizon
5.0L GXi
"Don't Think Twice"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 pm 
Did you get it going? ya cant leave us hangin' like this, bro!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:01 am 

Its interesting how fuel pumps in automotive EFI applications hardly ever fail, but in boats, they are a lot more troublesome. While E10 is blamed, well here all our vehicles use it there is no other choice. In all the years I've had EFI vehicles, I've had to replace one electric fuel pump, on 1988 Toyota Camry in 1995. That's it!
I just replaced a mechanical fuel pump on my '88 OMC that was still working but just starting to leak fuel into the yellow overflow tube. 30 years old and if a rebuild kit was available, I would have rebuilt it for next to nothing! As it is, you can pick up a Carter mechanical pump for like $75. So much for "progress". I'll take a well tuned and cleaned Quadrajet in my boat vs EFI.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II