www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:29 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Anyone have a trolling motor on their Horizon?

I'm torn between two different ones:

1. Bow mount
2. Sterndrive mount

I refuse to drill holes in the boat. It's not going to happen. Anyone know of a mount that works without drilling?
The sterndrive mount is neat, but I don't like the idea of using the steering linkage if I don't have to. Plus I'm not sure how good it really is versus a bow mount.

I'm also thinking about going to a dual battery setup on the boat. Can the stock alternator charge both batteries at once, provided they are not deep cycle batteries?

Any help would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:57 pm 

Page 10 of the brochure linked below, shows the H170 OB with the Four Winns removable trolling motor option.
http://www.fourwinns.com/uploads/2017/2/Four-Winns-Sport-Boats-Catalog-1999.pdf

This is the setup I have on my H180, In fact, my boat looks identical to the one pictured on that page! The factory added an extension into the bow area to give the trolling motor a platform to attach to. The trolling motor is removable and comes off fairly easy (given the weight of the trolling motor itself). I've looked and can't seem to find any part numbers for the factory mounting system, but it basically looks like this one:
https://greatlakesskipper.com/attwood-boat-trolling-motor-mount-5650-motorguide-trol-lok-24v-36v-kit

Hope that helps.

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)
'05 Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi (member of the 240k+ mile club!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:27 pm 

Just wanted to follow-up with a picture of my bow. This shows the mounting setup for my trolling motor.

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 pm 

Don't believe it's possible to mount a troller on the h200 without drilling holes for the mount....like the pic posted, there's holes to attach the base. That one is a clean looking bow mount designed for his boat.

Couple other things to consider....for the h200 I imagine the wet weight will be 3,000 at least. That includes fuel, gear, people etc and 3k is conservative.

That means the recommended troller is 80lb thrust 24volt system. I don't imagine you will be running that off your start or house bttry.

In short...i believe u would be packing 4 batteries with two being deep cycle for the trolling motor but I will defer to those who have tried it.

I would ponder before jumping in on one....especially being yours is an i/o with deeper draft.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 pm 

TX H210SS wrote:
That means the recommended troller is 80lb thrust 24volt system.

My system is a dual battery, 24V system also. So I have 3 batteries under my rear transom seat. Adds a bit of weight back there.

Choice of tow vehicle:
'93 Explorer 4x4 (sold)

Last edited by kmack on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:11 am 

I figure I can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a trolling motor + 24v setup, lol.

I don't really fish enough to warrant needing one. When I do I just use the anchor and the current to float around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

Here's what my trolling motor looks like:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:39 am 

it is a good idea to add a 2 battery system though. I did it about 15 years ago, I have the Blue Seas (Both, 1, 2 and off) switch.
I have a pair of Deka Marine gp 27 dual purpose batteries, and just alternate use of them. The alt will charge both at the same time but it will charge one separately faster. The key with this system is to leave one battery in reserve so you don't want to leave it on Both while anchored, because if one battery starts to go bad it will pull down the other. If both get low, then you can parallel them on the Both setting to start the engine. The way the smaller boats are wired (ie the engine starting and other loads are not separate like on a cruiser) the simple switch is the best way to go. Some like the add a battery kit from Blue Seas and others but this only works when your wiring is separated for engine starting and other loads.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 am 

A bow mount trolling motor will give you better maneuverability than a transom mount. This is because the bow mount can turn in any direction and the bow mount is less affected by crosswinds because the aft part of the boat is usually lower and deeper in the water. Some stern mounted trolling motors cannot be turned in any direction, and cannot control the bow that well in wind. Depending on the boat style, the trolling motors mounted on the outdrive may not have clearance to be trimmed up all the way. In windy/wavy conditions these outdrive mounted units may be coming out of the water at times. Using the boat's steering wheel can make it difficult to control boat position, especially if you have power steering. Depending on your boat, your creativity, and other considerations, you might be able to create a mount that attaches to existing bow rails and cleats, or maybe to an area behind a seat back cushion.

The boat's motor will limit you to a slowest trolling speed of about 3 mph. You can try to use trolling bags (aka drift socks or sea anchors) to slow down more. My 190 Horizon would run about 3.5 mph at slowest idle. Using trolling bags or drift socks would slow down the trolling speed to about 1.7 mph, but directional control was always a challenge. Keeping the trolling bag(s) out of the way of fishing gear and props was also a consideration. I found many times when this was still nt slow enough. A trolling plate that flips down behind the prop is another option to slow down, but not always ideal.

Each method has its pros and cons.

I'd recommend two batteries for the trolling motor, preferably in series for a 24 volt motor. If you do much fishing you will want to look at a battery charger, either onboard or where you keep your boat. Depending on how far you travel to the fishing "hotspot", the engine's alternator may not have enough run time to recharge all the batteries. you can hook up a starting battery/trolling motor batteries system with a battery selector switch as Lou suggested.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:36 pm 

Quote:
Can the stock alternator charge both batteries at once, provided they are not deep cycle batteries?

Yes, alternator can supply 2 banks, by a couple of means, even if one or both are deep-cycles. What the alternator should not be asked to do, is recharge a dead battery or two, regardless of its type.

Dual banks is a great idea, but just note, you will still have a 12 volt system. Not very efficient for a trolling motor. You will need a trolling motor bank.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:08 am 

I recall reading that an alternator is better though of as a battery maintainer than a battery charger.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:21 pm 

LouC wrote:
I recall reading that an alternator is better though of as a battery maintainer than a battery charger.

key word right here. An alternator is designed for replenishing and keeping up with normal loads. A 200AH house bank run dead over the weekend, with a 20 minute ride back to the dock, is nothing normal. Can an alternator eventually recharge a dead bank? Yes, but I do not suggest one relies on it. Once the boat is back in its home, best to make use of an on-board charger.