www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trim Gauge
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 pm 
2002 Four Winns Horizon 180, 4.3L VP with GXi outdrive.

Hey guys so my trim gauge usually works for about 2 minutes when i first run the boat. then goes fuckin' haywire for about an hour then usually comes to rest either full up or down... ive replaced the gauge, the rheostat and traced the wires... I cant find a damn thing. Its not like i really need to have it working, i know the boat enough but i hate having my shit not functioning as it should. Any suggetions?

Post subject: Re: Trim Gauge
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 am 
email admin your custom rank

Yeah mine acts about the same. I’ve got a sensor on the drive I’ve adjusted but does not seem to make much difference. Hope someone has a solution. Mine is hard to deal with since it’s always in the water. I get one try over the winter and if it isn’t fixed I have to suffer through the season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:36 am 

Really sounds like a loose wire when you are driving causing erratic behavior. If the gauge and sensor are new that would be the only thing left. Trace it further down, maybe its on your ground block or you have a chaffed wire grounding out somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:38 pm 
babbot1 wrote:
Really sounds like a loose wire when you are driving causing erratic behavior. If the gauge and sensor are new that would be the only thing left. Trace it further down, maybe its on your ground block or you have a chaffed wire grounding out somewhere.

Hey thanks for the reply...yah eh I could have missed something... i'll have another look when i'm off rotation. And so I'm not looking at the wrong thing here, where is this ground block you speak of? i've probably looked at it before...I just went and looked at the wiring diagrams I have and they don't tell me where its located, only that i have one haha.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 am 

Not sure exactly on your boat. On mine it was in the aft starboard side of the engine compartment. Pretty obvious. It might not be as obvious for you. I would think it wouldn't be too far from the engine where the source of the ground would be coming from. Four Winns was pretty cheap with wiring so the shortest run is where it will be. It could be near your fuse block or under the dash too.
If you could trace back the ground wire from your dash you should run into it. If someone was messing around with dash wiring they may have rerouted your ground and used some crimp connectors that corrode relatively quick if they didn't seal them.
2 other things you could try is use your multimeter(if you don't have one get one they are cheap and you will use it ALL the time) and check the voltage when the gauge is acting up. Or run a temporary ground wire to the gauge and see if that corrects the issue. I would also double check the connection to the trim sensor and make sure it's making good contact and not flooded with water.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:37 pm 
Shark

Also look for any signs of corrosion. If the wire is actually missing strands due to corrosion, then heat could cause different resistances out of the wire.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:54 pm 
access is really shit to the grounding stud... im pulling the boat out end of October and ill be able to pull the rear bench and deck to get in there. i'll post some pics and an update when the time comes.