www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:50 pm 
Firstly I'm new to this forum. We have a 2005 H210. This is our 3rd boat.

My issue is the black insert to our glove box is cracked. This is the upper compartment where the Clarion head unit lives. When we hit a wake, the door pops open. This is because there is enough "flex" that the door latch becomes disengaged. I've played with it several times, and am certain this is the case. No amount of adjusting the latch hasp in the glovebox will fix this.

I'm intrigued with the new style marine radios that are the shape and size of a gauge. I'd like to replace the dated Clarion unit with a Blue Tooth compatible unit. Something like this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KMC2/Kicker-KMC2.html?tp=61742&awkw=220136942665&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=114034717105&awdv=c&awug=1025406&gclid=CjwKCAjwoMPcBRAWEiwAiAqZh-JmuSxz3kx-FSf9E0DsDUJOVEi_OAJmMTEdJ42Zyb1Qu0JjXoJCixoCfwgQAvD_BwE

So as summer comes to a close, I've been thinking as a fall/winter project to fabricate a fiberglass and gel coated insert to our glove box with a new layout to provide for this new style radio, and provide USB chargers for our phones. But before I go the glass route, I've got to imagine other Horizon owners with the same model and vintage have the same issue as this black insert is kinda flimsy. I wondered what other solutions are out there or what others have done.

A little background about our boat.
Our Horizon is in impeccable shape, it is our 3rd boat and we've owned her since 2011. We are the 2nd owners. The original owner moved from Florida to Pa and not knowing Pa winters, let the engine block freeze. We bought her that way. We love our boat, and she's served us well. She's a trailer princess and spends her time off the water in my shop/garage. She has never been stored outside, and as a result the interior, gel coat, vinyl, mooring canvas, and bimini are in remarkable condition. I do have some paint flaking off the Volvo Penta DP outdrive which I'm not super stoked about. This will also be a project this off season.

A little background about me.
I repowered this boat. When I say I, I mean I removed the engine in this boat, I built the 383 that is currently in her now, and I installed that engine, and I spent many hours tuning her to perfection. My build criteria was to make the most power possible with the design restriction being it must run on 93 octane. It's fair to say it's pretty rowdy, and makes our boat one hell of a sleeper. I'm willing to bet a bottle of good vodka that she's the fastest Horizon on this forum, and I'm proud of that. My wife says I have an over developed competitive side. I'm the son of a Snap-On tool man, I am a mechanical engineer who's spent the last 20 years of his career working in new product development. On the side I build competition karting engines. I own a bridgeport, a small stuska water brake dyno, and a SF60 flow bench. This is me:https://www.rperacing.com

Here's a link to the boat running on our trailer just after the Captains Call install. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCdvnLX5po

Link to the MEFI 4 removal thread I did a few years ago
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/non-repair-i-o-and-inboards/10163920-removal-of-mefi-4-system-from-6-2l-v8

Link to the my Captains Call install thread
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/347951-silent-choice-captains-call-side-exit.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 am 
Livin' the Dream

Welcome to the forum!

Past
2002 268 Vista 5.7 GXI "Livin' the Dream"
1996 Rinker 192 Captiva. "The Simple Life"
1999 Yamaha XLL 1200 Waverunner.
1976 Mercury Marquis tri hull 120 hp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:13 am 
Minnow

I don’t have an answer for you regarding a new glove box but I’m keenly interested in hearing options myself as my ‘05 H210 has the same issue and I had to do a bit of jerry rigging last week during a new stereo replacement/ install. Very flimsy glovebox material I would like to replace with fiberglass or even aluminum. Wonder if someone could 3D print a replacement using original as a template??