www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:29 pm 
Guppy

I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 H200. It has a 5.0 GL 220 HP with a Dual Prop.

Does anybody have positive or negative comments on this model.

I like the Dual Prop, Price, Room on board and layout.

Not crazy about instrument panel (auto style), color (hunter green), carb instead of fuel injection.

Any items to look for during test drive?

I noticed that it does not have snap in carpet. It this a drawback?

It had a cracked head a couple of years ago and the engine was rebuilt (new head) before last years season. Any reason to be concerned as long as it runs good and the oil is clear?

I am taking for a test drive on Monday. I would appreciate any comments and info that anyone hear would have. I have been reading as a guest and this is my first post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:54 pm 
All Night Long

Have a good mechanic do a quick survey.

Make sure everything on that instrument panel works.

drive it like ya stole it!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 pm 
Clownfish

We have a 1999 200H that we purchased new. It does have fuel injection and snapin carpet which we special ordered at the time. It has been a great boat and after looking at the new 200H's at the recent boat show I liked ours better, (the 1999 is bigger overall and the bow seating is bigger to). The dual prop would be nice though. You can see some pics of it here on a few other threads.

Ross

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There is a lot to check on a used boat, first on my list would be for hull damage, wood rot in the deck and transom, and the condition of the interior (expensive to replace). I would personally not buy anothe open boat with carpet covered plywood floors unless it was always stored inside, there is just too much of a liklihood of rotted decking. If it's a fiberglass liner then that's fine, but still walk around on all of it to check for soft areas (still has a plywood core). Check the seat bases for stripped screws and flexy seat mounts (more signs of deck rot). With the transom see if you can flex the drive up and down, if the transom seems to flex (and there are stress cracks in the gelcoat) that's a bad sign. Then you have to have the mechanical stuff all checked out. Be careful it's easy to miss engine or drive problems unless you run it in the water long enough to fully warm up the motor, get it on plane, make sure it does not overheat, runs well and that the drive shifts well. Check the props and skeg for damage. Look for water leaks around the block/heads with the motor running and check the motor oil for water (milky appearance) after running. If you can, pull the drain plug of the drive to check for wate in the gear oil (water will come out first, it's heavier than gear oil). They are nice boats but be careful.

I also like the older ones better, my 88 200 is over a foot longer than the newer ones, has a roomier interior, and it's easier to work onthe engine because there isn't all the molded in fiberglass around the engine.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:57 am 

I had this model boat and we loved it but found it a bit small when having guests... In hindsight it was sufficient and very affordable and we probably should have kept it.

The floor had some rot near the fuel tank filler. The upholstery held up very well and I had no issues with the 220 Hp carb motor. I wish it had the duoprop but it was not necessary and the props were cheaper for the SX! I had no issues with the helm guages on my boat.

We had the twin seating beside the motor enclosure and found this great because of the extra cockpit space. If I had kept the boat I was going to pull out the loungers and replace with three buckets instead but that was a personal preference. i would have ripped out the carpet and replaced it after fixing the floor too.

You will find that you can stow away most anything you will need for a day out on the water on this boat. There are "hiding" places everywhere.

I would not hesitate to buy this model again.... I would suggest that a model like this (including trailer) would sell for 10K to 13 K US$ depending on the condition.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 am 
Narwhal

A friend has a 2000 190H 5.0L GL, he had issues with the VDO cluster, and carborator/fuel system. The fuel system issues were rough idling and hard starting. A dealer was finally able to resolve it for him, although I forget how - I do remember it was an odd one.

The dual prop is a nice feature, very unsual on a boat that size.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm 

I had the 1996 H200 and loved that boat. Its why I bought my 260. 10 years old and it looked like new even though it didn't have snapout carpet. I had a buddy recarpet his Sea Ray 220 and it looks like new at not much cost so don't let that sway you. I had no problems with VDO and it ran like a top every summer. Had the duoprop too. Mine had the fuel injected Ford 5.8liter in it which was kind of rare I think. The boat hauled a$$. 60 mph in a 20 footer was sometimes "interesting."

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 pm 
Guppy

Well I purchased it today from a guy out at Possum Kingdom. It was a pretty good price, but it needs some cosmetic work. The floor is solid, the transom is solid, the engine and wiring is solid.

Here is the listing. Second one from the top.

http://www.dallasboats4sale.com/index.asp?boat_type=30&boatname=Four%20Winns

The tandem trailer is a rough, but it made it back to home.

Some of the stitching on the upholstery needs redone. Also, there are a few scuff and scrapes on the bow and where it load on the trailer. Nothing major.

It was hauling a$$ on the test drive. Love the dual prop and the 305 V8. Very happy so far.

The oil was golden yellow after the test drive. The oil pressure was running a little high. It looks like they overfilled it when I checked the dipstick. I guess I will have to figure out how to drain a little oil out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:15 am 

Looks good. Congrats on the purchase. Now we need more pics to look at. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:22 am 

Wow that is a good price from what I can see is the pictures. My 1991 FW 170 Freedom sold for not much less than that just a few weeks ago.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

I would definitely say you stole it! Congratulations. I sold mine for just over twice that last year.
the only way to remove oil is through the dipstick but, mine ran high on pressure too so it's probably not a big deal.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:55 pm 
Guppy

OK. I found the first "big thing" that needs work on the boat and it may turn expensive. There was a loose hinge on the rear of the sundeck that I thought was just stripped out. It turns out that the sunpad has a 4 inch diameter area that is very soft and cannot be fixed with wood putty.

Before I bought the boat, I knew this was the worst case with that area and a local upholstery shop gave me a ballpark of $1000 to replace the whole sunpad. I emailed Phil Dill Boats today to check on how much a factory replacement would cost.

Anybody else seen this before? If so, did you go factory replacement or local shop and do you remember the cost?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:46 pm 
Nauti Luv

1st_time_buyer wrote:
OK. I found the first "big thing" that needs work on the boat and it may turn expensive. There was a loose hinge on the rear of the sundeck that I thought was just stripped out. It turns out that the sunpad has a 4 inch diameter area that is very soft and cannot be fixed with wood putty.

Before I bought the boat, I knew this was the worst case with that area and a local upholstery shop gave me a ballpark of $1000 to replace the whole sunpad. I emailed Phil Dill Boats today to check on how much a factory replacement would cost.

Anybody else seen this before? If so, did you go factory replacement or local shop and do you remember the cost?

Phill Dill - you must be in the Dallas area. Check with Waterworks (maybe mis-spelled, but they are now at Pier 121 because they do fiberglass work and stuff like this). If you are talking to Phil Dill - get your wallet out!

Also - If you call Kent at RoadRunner trailer in Lewisville, they will rework (and I think even repaint) the entire trailer for $750.00, even though its not a Roadrunner - they still offer this deal. He is a friend of mine and they have a great reputation.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:12 pm 

What?! $1000?!
Well I just replaced the wood in the big sunpad on my '88 FW 200 Horizon, the wood had rotted along the rear most section of it where the hinges attach. I un-bolted the hinges from the boat, lifted the whole thing off (pretty heavy) and removed all the stapels holding the upholstery to the wood. Then I measured the size of the wood (3/4 in thick plywood, about 76 in by 32 in), had a piece cut to that exact size by the lumber yard (used pressure treated plywood) and finish cut the curves for the corners. I reinstalled the padding and the vinyl with new stainless staples and reinstalled it. Total cost was probably less than $50 or so.
You are referring to the sunpad over the engine, right? Not swim platform that is molded in fiberglass at the stern (now this would be an expensive wood and 'glass repair).

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:04 pm 
Guppy

Lou C --

Yes. I am referring to the sundeck over the engine. That was a budgetary for replacing the entire thing along with new upholstery to cover with. However the existing upholstery is in pretty good shape on the sundeck. Some other areas of the boat upholstery need attention though. The couch and bucket seat are in good shape, but the headrests in front of the sundeck are coming undone at the stitching. Thanks for the advice on the plywood, that sounds like a good route to try.

aguyindallas --

I am in DFW. I just got a slip out at Joe Pool Lake (Lynn Creek Marina). I live in Arlington so this was the closest to me. It is only 20 minutes from my house. I live a mile from Lake Arlington, but there is no marina there. I just wanted to check with Phil Dill because after getting a quote of $1000 I thought he might be cheaper. I really like the mods you made to your boat it looks great with the lighting.