www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:43 am 
Shark

(First of a long series of dumb questions.)
After a year of searching, my 1996 Horizon 200 was delivered this week. Even has the sport seating that I wanted. Can't wait to take her out on the water once the gimble bearing is replaced.
But she only has the convetable top mounted to the windshield frame with plastic clip-in brackets. Is this how the Biminni should be installed? What size and mounting location/method do others have?
Many thanks.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:37 am 
Tadpole

I've got a '98 Horizon 200ss that we bought new. I had a local boat cover/top shop make a Bimini for me a couple of years ago after we had suffered with the standard top for several years. My top starts in front of the windshield and covers over the back seat(8ft). It is also a little over 6ft under the top so I can stand up straight under it. The top fastens to 2 brackets that are just outside of the stopping point of the windshield wraparound, 2 brackets at the back of the boat about where the sundeck starts, and 2 straps connect from the front of the top to cleats in front of the windshield. I had the top made so you could store it back/upright with a zippered cover while it isn't in use which is really handy. Storing the top down is a little awkward in the boat but we have learned to deal with it and never run the boat with the top stored inside, always up, or up and back. At the time I paid almost $1K for this top, it is premium fabric, and custom sized. My wife almost had a fit until the first time we used the boat with the top up and she has never complained since. It sure keeps us from getting so scorched on those long lake days. I will get some pics in a week or so and post them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:24 pm 
Goldfish

I have a 94 Horizon and just purchsed the subrella top fro overton's. I did some checking on custom built subrella's and it ranged from 595 to 895. The overton's price was much more in the ball park and frankly...the same subrella material.
My width on the boat is 77 inches.....so I bought the 73-78 inch width bracket. also got the side mount brackets. i also purchased the assembly to store the unit upright while running.
here's a link the the one I got:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overton ... &fcat=2D6A
it provides more than enough room to walk under.
it works perfectly and can be opened or shut running full speed.
it's great on hot days......was very easy to install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:42 am 
Shark

Thanks guys! Did you consider mounting the main connector on the side windsheild frame?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:00 am 
Goldfish

I suppose you could....but the kit from Overton's was a side mount right into the Hull. stick a little adhesive on those mounts prior to setting with screws. mounts hold great into hull. unit is very stable.

Post subject: Fiberglasss stress?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:04 pm 
Minnow

jka, do you run with the Bimini open a lot? I would like to get a Bimini to replace the convertible top, but worried about cracking of the fiberglass from running with it open. Have you noticed any stress or cracks in the fiberglass where it is attached? Did you use any backing behind the screws? Do you have any pics you can post of the installation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:40 pm 
Seahorse

I would try GMI tops they use all sunbrella fabric and I just ordered a top from them with SS hardware and boot and backing pole for $ 305.00
for my 88 200 horizon

Post subject: Bimini
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:59 pm 
Tadpole

My top is all metal frame and fittings(no plastic), 8' long and profesionally installed. I have trailered the boat up to 70mph on one occasion with the top up, and regularly run with the top up in choppy water. I've had the top for 5 years now and there is no sign of cracking on the mount points.

The top you purchase becomes a question of how long you intend to keep the boat. I bought mine new in '98 with the intention of keeping it at least 10 years. I bought a Custom made cover the day we bought it, at 8 years old the cover still looks new, and the boat does as well. So I decided to use the same guy that did the cover for the Bimini, there were cheaper options, but I will tell you they are not the same quality, I know what the fabric and hardware costs, the mail order tops are not using the same quality fabric, tubing, or fittings. Plus my top is custom fit to my boat, and my specifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:50 pm 
Goldfish

I'd agree with Steve, metal fittings are the best. But the outfit that sells its sunbrella Bimini's to Overton's is the world's largest outfitter.
Overton's is where I bought mine. Sunbrella fabric is Sunbrella...whether you buy it at Walmart...Overtons or have a company do it for you. The guy who installed mine said it's just as good as the one's his company makes and custom fits to any boat...and is hundred's cheaper. Another local company that custom fits Bimini's said the Overton's system is nearly identical in every way to the one he custom fit's for 895.00. Point is, don't be afraid of mail order. It's equal quality at a fraction of the cost.

I run with the top up much of the time and it's firm at all speeds. I put some adhesive/sealant under the bracket prior to screwing it into the hull. There are no signs of stress.