www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about cleats
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am 
Guppy

As some of you know by now, I am in the process of researching the 190 Horizon. Another question that i pose is about the cleats. I see that the 190 only has a total of 4 cleats for the boat. Do the 190 owners on this site feel that they are pleanty for the boat or would a couple of extra cleats one on each side near the windshield area be a good idea and worth the extra money for the dealer to install before I take delivery. Your responses are greatly appriciated.

Happy Boating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:13 am 
Shark

IMO, you don't need them if you trailer or rack store, but it you keep your boat in a slip they would be very useful for spring lines. They are easy to add later if you wish. A few extra cleats, fenders and life jackets never hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:46 am 
Guppy

Most definately!
I have the 190 and it really needs the extra cleats - even just for docking as there is no good location to put a bumper. Unfortunately I put my first major scratch in the gel this weekend on rough water coming up to a dock - even worse it cut the graphics on the side to.

I will be adding two extra cleats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:22 pm 
Sting Ray

I have the 210 which has a cleat in the middle. I might add one towards the stern in order to hang a fender back there - right now I have to hang it on the handle which is inside the boat. I have found that the docks in my area are in various states of condition, and you just don't know what you are going to find - so having an extra cleat would be worth it - IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:26 pm 
Guppy

Thanks for all of your imput. I know that I can contact the dealer but, does anyone know off the top of your heads, how much it would cost to add the two cleats on the boat? Everytime I call the dealer, they think that they are going to be selling a boat in the next day or two. Just don't want to get the hopes up if you know what I mean. Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:17 pm 
wkearney99

Don't think it's just the 190, our 348 Vista is sorely lacking a place for hanging fenders to protect the aft quarter. There's nothing there but a bimini pole mount. Nor is there a convenient way to string something from other cleats. I'm toying with the idea of adding some cleats. I'd probably go with the pop-up style, sunk into the top of the gunwales somehere behind the radar arch. There's enough room below that surface to accomodate them. I'd go with flush mount as that's a walking area for getting to the bow along the outside.

But I'd be worried about getting them mounted such that they'dh hold securely should someone mistakenly use them for actually mooring the boat. So I'm not sure I'd do the install myself as I'm unfamiliar with figuring out how to make sure the underlying area can handle the stresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:48 am 
Shark

Four Winns likely already has a plywood reinforcement there. Add a metal backing plate for the size cleat used and your there. Or use fender hangers instead, they won't be mistaken for cleats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:00 am 
Mental Floss

I put a pair of these on my 288 Vista near the point of the radar arch. So far (3 yrs) they have worked great.

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=98571

It doesn't have the SR logo :cry: If it did people might think I owned a REAL boat :wink:

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"