www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Aussie Four Winns owners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:40 pm 
life to the full

Was just wondering how many other people on this board that live in Australia
Just wondering ,this may be the smallest thread in history
Ardy
South Oz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Me in Melbourne... there is also a guy in Sydney who pops up now and again...

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:38 am 
Shark

Hey ardy dont forget me :lol: im from Melbourne.. Where abouts do you do most of your boating Aussie_Horizon_190.

Peter

2005 four winns sundowner
8.1L VP 375hp
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/4winns/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:42 pm 

Mainly the Bay - launch from either the Warmies in Newport or Patterson River depending on the prevailing weather and how busy I think the ramps are going to be! With 2,000 sq km to explore, the bay has plenty to offer.

Also get around a bit though - in the last 2 years - Gippland Lakes (Paynesville) - is great, Merimbula, Batemans Bay, Yarrawonga (killed a prop there :( ) and the other month Ben Chifley dam in Bathurst. What about you Kyp2?

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:13 am 
Shark

As much as i would like to go to the Gippland Lakes or Yarrawonga I am stuck using the bay because I have a toyota landcruiser 1991 and it dosnt have the power or the towing capacity to tow my 245 sundowner long distances. But when the weather starts warming up again I am planning a day to go down to rosebud and spend the day there.
My boat is kept at St kilda marina on its trailer so I just launch from their memebers ramp even though it is junk because the trailer doesn't go deep enough when it is low tide so i can only go in and out at high tide.
I acctualy picked my boat up from patterson lakes marina and when I was at the mouth of the river going into the bay I got stuck on a sand bar at low tide. We eventually got it off and drove across the bay to williamstown marina where I kept it for the first half of 2007 which I prefer it being there than St kilda marina because the service at St kilda marina is just crap all they want is the money. When we had the strong winds I had my camper covers up (i dont know why I put them up) and when I went to the boat the next week they had all blown off so I had to order new ones from burt lake marina. They didnt even contact me to tell me that there was damage to the boat.

Peter

8.1L VP 375hp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 pm 

Yes, Patterson River can be a little tricky to get out of - been there, done that too! Usually not too bad at low tide provided it has been recently dredged (they do this periodically) but going from the river to the bay you have to aim for the yellow marker post which is a veer left at the river mouth, and not turn right too quickly. Warmies is a good ramp, but at low tide is shallow (1.5m) getting out into the Yarra River. Williamstown would be a better choice for you, or get it dropped in at Pier35 up the Yarra.

Boat size is always a compromise - I did a lot of research and found the Horizon 190 on a trailer weighs 1995kg. Once you get above 2000kg a lot of different towing laws apply both in Vic and NSW. Also the beam is 2.43m - when you hit 2.5m towing restrictions may apply. My Territory weighs 2045kg so I am also covered in the sceanrio where you can't tow anything heavier than the tow vehicle. Territory tows it fine - better than the GU Patrol I traded on it. Fleet Marine (the FW agent in Melbourne) use late model Landcruisers to do all their towing.

I would think Yarrawonga is too shallow for your boat (average depth 1.5-2m), and the ramps are ordinary. Although I know of one ramp that would suit - has a 7m drop off into the old river course at the end!! Gippsland Lakes is definately the go - launch at Paynesville - have a good ramp, good facilities with a big marina and storage there. Huge lakes that would take weeks and weeks to explore.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:19 am 
Starfish

Hi there. I wondered the same when I joined. I have a Horizon 220 in Brisbane and do my boating on Moreton Bay.

350mpi Mercruiser
Jeep Grand Cherokee V8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:47 am 
Shark

Welcome bschmid2 as you know you have to post photos of your boat and your area.

Happy Boating :)

Peter

8.1L VP 375hp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:24 am 
life to the full

As for me Morgan on the Murray River in my less than trusty Stacer runabout but soon to be H180
Ardy
Adelaide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:23 pm 
Shark

ardy wrote:
Was just wondering how many other people on this board that live in Australia
Just wondering ,this may be the smallest thread in history
Ardy
South Oz

pop. !

when we got our FW, it was very uncommon. you'd stop and talk to any other FW owner yousaw. Around sydney now, theyre very common. although given the service from the new distributors at Mona Vale, i sense they might be less common again ....
given petrol prices maybe i'll see less sonn too. was 87c per litre when i first filled it up..

We mainly go out at Bobbin Head, middle harbour / sydney harbour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 pm 

We definately should keep this going guys so we can compare our unique local issues like where to go boating, insurance, FW service experiences, getting spare parts etc.

As an example, I killed a prop last January while boating up on the Murray. FW dealer in Melbourne (Fleet Marine) had none in stock, and none on a boat they could give me. Suggested I contact the Volvo dealer in Melbourne (JJ Marinecraft). They ordered one from Volvo in Brisbane who also did not have the right prop in stock so I had to buy a 4 blade which was less than ideal - but being on holidays 400km from home, not a lot of choice... cost me $560 including freight and waited almost a week from start to finish.

When I got home I ordered 2 genuine Volvo props from http://www.getaprop.com at $140 each plus some prop nuts etc. so for less than $350 delivered to my door I got 2 props for a lot less than I could buy one locally. Lesson learned: Get a spare prop before you need it!
:D

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 pm 

How much do you guys pay for annual servicing? I'll find out next week when I put mine in and let you know....

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:58 am 
268 Vista

Aussie_Horizon_190 wrote:
When I got home I ordered 2 genuine Volvo props from http://www.getaprop.com at $140 each plus some prop nuts etc. so for less than $350 delivered to my door I got 2 props for a lot less than I could buy one locally. Lesson learned: Get a spare prop before you need it!
:D

Don't know about ship "down under" but an OEM replacement prop for your rig is $114 US.
at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/3-Blade-Aluminum- ... B0000AXWCC

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:14 pm 

Yep - I know there were cheaper props, but I wanted a genuine Volvo one (I'm a bit of an old woman and not a fan of props with seperate hubs) and for the small price increment it was a no-brainer! Interesting when you talk to people about genuine vs after market props on the SX drive - they all seem to think the genuine Volvo prop is best, followed by Turning Point, and in the distance Michigan Wheel. I wonder who actually makes the Volvo props - they are made in Taiwan I know that much - wondering if it is Solas? Turning Point are made in Malaysia.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am 
268 Vista

It's not Solas, I know that for sure. Same company that makes the props for Mercury.
They are in Korea and Tiawan.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next